Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

20+ team conferences are stupid. A better option would just be a partnership with another conference, like the proposed Big Ten / Pac-12 deal that fizzled out.

That way, you're playing a bunch of (technically) non-conference opponents, but they cycle through every couple of years, so you have at least some decent familiarity with them.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Personally, I think 20 works out better than 16. I don't think for one second that the B1G TEN doesn't have at least the outline for a 20 team conference in mind. Just think, 4 divisions of 5 schools. You play every team in your division every year and 1 team from each of the other divisions on a rotatings basis. You have your 8 league games and will still be able to schedule to warm up games and 2 out of conference games.

It's not a Conference if a member team only comes to town once a decade.

Twice per decade. ;)

1 every 8 years. Ohio State would host Toledo more often.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Big Ten 2014 alignment has been decided.

Big Ten East: Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana

Big Ten West: Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue

2 Indiana centric thoughts.

1) If Indiana doesn't pull off Bowl eligibility next year, it's going to be awhile before it happens

2) Indiana is separated from all its rivals. The Big Ten might as well add Virginia and UNC now. This bites.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Big Ten East: Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana

Big Ten West: Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue

1) If Indiana doesn't pull off Bowl eligibility next year, it's going to be awhile before it happens

2) Indiana is separated from all its rivals. The Big Ten might as well add Virginia and UNC now. This bites.

Hey, we'll finally get to play Iowa in my grad year here. Two teams in the same conference shouldn't go four years in a row without playing each other. Kinda nice that we'll be in the "easy" division too. But this really screws over IU.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Hey, we'll finally get to play Iowa in my grad year here. Two teams in the same conference shouldn't go four years in a row without playing each other. Kinda nice that we'll be in the "easy" division too. But this really screws over IU.

Indiana would have been hosed regardless. Don't tell me that they would expect to win a West division against Wisconsin, Northwestern and Nebraska.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Indiana would have been hosed regardless. Don't tell me that they would expect to win a West division against Wisconsin, Northwestern and Nebraska.

They would have had a better shot in the West than in the East with Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and even Rutgers (seeing that Rutgers had the 3rd best recruiting class this year in the B1G TEN).

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Probably not, but they'd at least have a shot. I'm thrilled that we're in the West because we'll actually be able to make it to the conference championship game a decent amount. Nebraska and Wisconsin (but that's even dependent on how they do with Bielema leaving) should win more often than not, but everybody else should be able to win that division once in a while.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

No, but they would have had a better shot at 6-7 wins a year.

Today, we are all otaku.

No, but they would have had a better shot at 6-7 wins a year.

That's fair. Bowl eligibility is much more achievable.

UyDgMWP.jpg

So to all who were hoping that the ACC would be gutted like a fish by the other Conferences over the next few months....bad news.

The ACC is being reported as adopting a conference wide grant of media rights, which would pretty much lock all the member schools in for its duration.

Today, we are all otaku.

So to all who were hoping that the ACC would be gutted like a fish by the other Conferences over the next few months....bad news.

The ACC is being reported as adopting a conference wide grant of media rights, which would pretty much lock all the member schools in for its duration.

I'm actually happy about this and hope it prevents further Big Ten expansion into ACC schools. I have nothing against UNC or UVA - in fact, they're great pickups for basketball and other sports - but I feel like culturally, the Big Ten should continue to look at schools like Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma if they wish to pursue expansion.

UyDgMWP.jpg

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9200081/acc-media-rights-deal-lock-schools-okd-presidents

Seems like a ACC Network. Now that it seems like the ACC is in it for the long haul, can we stay at 5 conferences?

(Also, I just noticed that the ACC is at 15 teams right now. Will UConn or Cincy join?)

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

http://espn.go.com/c...-okd-presidents

Seems like a ACC Network. Now that it seems like the ACC is in it for the long haul, can we stay at 5 conferences?

(Also, I just noticed that the ACC is at 15 teams right now. Will UConn or Cincy join?)

No, Maryland will leave.

ACC = 14 total teams when all the dust settles.

- Maryland departure brings them down to 11.

- Pitt & Syracuse brings them up to 13.

- Louisville brings them to 14.

UyDgMWP.jpg

No, Maryland will leave.

ACC = 14 total teams when all the dust settles.

- Maryland departure brings them down to 11.

- Pitt & Syracuse brings them up to 13.

- Louisville brings them to 14.

No, Notre Dame(in all but football) makes it 15. It may be my OCD kicking in, but all conferences should have even numbers. Yes, when the Big Ten(don't make me put B1G) had 11 it bugged the crap out of me.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

My roommate is not a huge fan of FSU in the ACC. This is how I explained this is good for FSU to her, "The ACC seems to have realized who their prize winning fighter is in the past year or so. They been all up on FSU's D and loving them good."

I also mentioned that the ACC Network is also probably a lock as I see that as the main reason FSU said "Ok, we'll do this deal."

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I'm cool with this, I'm happy to see the ACC survive.

baltimoreravens.png

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9200081/acc-media-rights-deal-lock-schools-okd-presidents

No there are at 14 for football, 15 for the other sports. Notre Dame is in the conference for all but football (and hockey of course)

No there are at 14 for football, 15 for the other sports. Notre Dame is in the conference for all but football (and hockey of course)

Let me remind you of my stance. I don't like conferences to have odd numbers.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Let me remind you of my stance. I don't like conferences to have odd numbers.

ACC hoops really sucked from 79-91 due to a nine team conference.