Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Sadly I think it's time for the Big 12 to go back to 12 teams. It was nice getting tons of money due to splitting the revenue only 10 ways but it came back to bite us.

No need for 12 teams. You can get a waiver to host a conference championship game with 10 teams... the SWAC does a CCG with 10 teams. Why can't the Big 12?

Believe me if we can I would love that. There are no two teams that we can add that will bring in enough revenue to keep us getting the money we do now. That money really helps.

Teams that are paying Charlie Weis a multi-million dollar buyout don't get to complain about hits to revenue.

• Like 2
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think Houston and Cincinatti would work. I've heard Memphis mentioned also, but I doubt that would work.

At the very least, they need to get a waiver from the NCAA to have a championship game with 10 teams. They don't even need divisons. Keep the current scheduling format at let the two teams with the best record play a rematch in the conference championship.

what about Boise st & air force?? or BYU?

Reportedly West Virginia's Athletic Department is sucking wind now to pay for sending non-revenue sports around the Big XII's existing footprint. Stretching it further west is apparently a non-starter.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Reportedly West Virginia's Athletic Department is sucking wind now to pay for sending non-revenue sports around the Big XII's existing footprint. Stretching it further west is apparently a non-starter.

well that's the price you pay when you sign your soul to the devil.....

• Like 1

well that's the price you pay when you sign your soul to the devil.....

Look Benji, leaving the Big East is what we in the business call a "No Brainer".

Today, we are all otaku.

Splitting the Oklahoma teams in different divisions just wouldn't seem right. Which is what they would more than likely have to do if they want a championship game. Unless they bring in two more eastern or northern schools, or they do what the B1G did and split Texas and Oklahoma and name the divisions something stupid like "Spaghetti" and "Meatballs", and hope for two Red River Rivalries a year.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Looking at the other side of the coin in this....instead of adding two schools to get to 12, does the Big XII lose schools instead?

We aren't that far removed from the Big XII being on it's death bed. Texas and Oklahoma were rumored to be going to either the Pac-10 or Big Ten until the remaining eight schools got together and hashed a deal to stay in the Big XII. Remember, while the other conferences split the money evenly, the Big XII doesn't. Texas gets the biggest slice of the pie, Oklahoma the 2nd-largest, and the other eight get whatever scraps are left. Texas A&M told Texas "You aren't better than us!" and told the Big XII to kick rocks. Nebraska said "To hell with out history with Oklahoma" and fled to the Big Ten. Missouri and Colorado jumped ship as soon as a lifeboat came.

While TCU and Baylor are both upset with the committee's decision, the circumstances that led to their decision are the fault of the conference, and both parties aren't exactly happy with the Big XII right now. Baylor's irked that the conference didn't do anything to pimp their cause.

The SEC has 14 schools. The Big Ten has 14 schools. The ACC has 14-ish schools. The Pac-12 has just 12 schools. While the Pac-12 has publicly said they're happy with 12, they were looking to add to that, and here's a possible opportunity to add a pair of Texas schools and force the issue of some bigger-fish schools to make a choice in where to go.

Looking at the other side of the coin in this....instead of adding two schools to get to 12, does the Big XII lose schools instead?

We aren't that far removed from the Big XII being on it's death bed. Texas and Oklahoma were rumored to be going to either the Pac-10 or Big Ten until the remaining eight schools got together and hashed a deal to stay in the Big XII. Remember, while the other conferences split the money evenly, the Big XII doesn't. Texas gets the biggest slice of the pie, Oklahoma the 2nd-largest, and the other eight get whatever scraps are left. Texas A&M told Texas "You aren't better than us!" and told the Big XII to kick rocks. Nebraska said "To hell with out history with Oklahoma" and fled to the Big Ten. Missouri and Colorado jumped ship as soon as a lifeboat came.

While TCU and Baylor are both upset with the committee's decision, the circumstances that led to their decision are the fault of the conference, and both parties aren't exactly happy with the Big XII right now. Baylor's irked that the conference didn't do anything to pimp their cause.

The SEC has 14 schools. The Big Ten has 14 schools. The ACC has 14-ish schools. The Pac-12 has just 12 schools. While the Pac-12 has publicly said they're happy with 12, they were looking to add to that, and here's a possible opportunity to add a pair of Texas schools and force the issue of some bigger-fish schools to make a choice in where to go.

Also, there was talk a while back of the Big Ten being interested in Kansas and Oklahoma. The big question was whether state legislatures would force a sale of KSU and Okie State as part of a package deal. Honestly, I'm not sure why so many people get up in arms about it. Split conferences seems to work just fine for Iowa and Iowa State, or Texas and Texas A&M for that matter.

But either way, I would not be surprised to see the Big XII fold in a few years, especially if anything happens to UT-OU. No matter how well TCU and Baylor perform, the strength of the conference still largely resides in Norman, OK and Austin, TX.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm gonna take this a step further into other sports and ask this: If the Big XII dissolves in football, do they dissolve the confer in basketball, baseball, etc? Or do they dissolve in football, but stay put in Basketball?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

So, apparently Bo Pellini's gonna be the new coach at Youngstown State.

I have no idea why he'd go from Big Ten to FCS (he wasn't THAT bad of a coach)...UNLESS the Penguins could be planning a move up (Maybe to the MAC to replace UMass and be that all-sports member?)

It's per football scoop, which is very suspicious. Football Scoop is basically football rumor Wikipedia. It doesn't have to be true but you can email football scoop with your "scoop" and see if they believe it enough to post it. I doubt this is true.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I have no idea why he'd go from Big Ten to FCS (he wasn't THAT bad of a coach)...UNLESS the Penguins could be planning a move up (Maybe to the MAC to replace UMass and be that all-sports member?)

It's per football scoop, which is very suspicious. Football Scoop is basically football rumor Wikipedia. It doesn't have to be true but you can email football scoop with your "scoop" and see if they believe it enough to post it. I doubt this is true.

I believe they were the ones who "leaked" that Jim Tressel was taking the Nebraska job as well? :)

Anyway, regarding Pelini, I think Bo would do very well with a Pac-12 or Big XII team as DC, maybe head coach. His defensive scheme at Nebraska worked well in the Big XII, actually, but faltered in the more run-heavy Big Ten. He runs an NFL-style defense that seeks to get pressure from the front four, allowing time for the LBs and secondary to get their coverage set. It's a read-and-react sort of thing that works wonders against pass-heavy teams such as the No Fun League or the gunslingers that Nebraska used to see in the Big XII (Bradford, McCoy, Reesing, Weeden, Harrell, etc).

Pelini needs to be in a place where he can attack teams who favor the pass. Unfortunately, the Big Ten ain't that place.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

They have had serious budget shortfalls for three years before Tressel was hired as university president. He cannot just try to move up to FBS especially since a show-cause is still over his head. He's has issues justifying athletic spending going up during a two year hiring freeze.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/09/youngstown_state_university_cu.html.

The faculty union rejected the latest contract proposal last month and are prepared to strike.

http://wkbn.com/2014/11/23/ysu-union-to-vote-on-contract/

Rep. James Traficant is now dead and former Phar-Mor CEO/formerYSU moneyman Mickey Monus is now out of jail too, but in West Palm Beach as a junkman

http://mpb.floridaweekly.com/node/7349#.VIfqa3a3Mqd

Pelini would park himself in I-AA because it's home and a good way to both head coach and still pocket some money from Nebraska.

Today, we are all otaku.

This was posted to a popular USF bog site today and provides some excellent considerations as to why the pair of the Bulls and Knights of UCF should be considered for the Big 12:

http://www.voodoofive.com/2014/12/10/7357673/big-12-expansion-add-usf-and-ucf-first-bob-bowlsby-playoff

Attendance makes USF a nonstarter. Noon kickoffs against Miami don't get 60k at RayJay,how many will travel on Dale Mabry for a game against Iowa State?

Orlando is consistently in the top 20 in terms of college football TV viewership, but that is entirely from FSU and UF. Historically, Cincinnati and Tampa/St. Pete are equal in viewership.

I'm sure Mike Bianchi will push UCF and USF to the Big 12. He wrote this idiotic article last June saying that UCF and USF should replace the two Mississippi schools in the SEC:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-06-06/sports/os-mike-bianchi-saturday-circus-0607-20140606_1_ucf-and-usf-ucf-football-coach-george-o-leary

It's a bit ironic now, seeing as both Mississippi schools are playing in New Year's Six bowls.

I'm sure Mike Bianchi will push UCF and USF to the Big 12. He wrote this idiotic article last June saying that UCF and USF should replace the two Mississippi schools in the SEC:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-06-06/sports/os-mike-bianchi-saturday-circus-0607-20140606_1_ucf-and-usf-ucf-football-coach-george-o-leary

It's a bit ironic now, seeing as both Mississippi schools are playing in New Year's Six bowls.

With the talk about the WVU Athletic Department sucking wind because of travel costs, I can't imagine what adding schools in Florida would do. It's not as problematic for football, per se, but I'm sure the athletic budgets of every school not called Sooners or Longhorns will be stretched with basketball road trips that stretch from Lubbock, TX to Ames, IA out to West Virginia and then down to Florida.

It's like traveling to March Madness every week.

UyDgMWP.jpg