Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I've read that if Mizzou leaves before December 1st, they only have to pay what aTm paid, around $12.5m. Neinas has sorta been in denial ever since he took over. He said Mizzou was no doubt staying.. now they're exploring. He's basically just trying to do the whole "if I say it enough, it will come true" thing.

Bleh. I just hope the Big 10 sees how they have a golden egg just waiting, hoping to get picked up by them. I think the SEC is a better football-style fit for Mizzou, but geographically, economically, and rivalry-wise, I think the Big 10 would better suit them.

(If you haven't noticed... I'm trying the same method. I say Mizzou to the Big 10 enough, and hopefully it happens.)

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

If the B1G wanted Mizzou they would have taken them in 2010 instead of Nebraska.

No. Nebraska was the prized horse in 2010. I think the Big 10 wants to expand further, as the rumor was that they want to expand to 16 teams, with four 4 team divisions. I just think the Big 10 does not want the finger pointed at them as the Conference that destroyed College Football as we know it.

To be honest, I think the Big 10 saw Nebraska and Notre Dame as their 2 prizes schools. They got 1 of them. I am certain that the Big 10 knows that if the Big 10 goes to 15 teams, and there is the formation of 4 (maybe 5) super conferences, ND will follow suit and join the Big 10. I think the Big 10 has a calculated plan of attack on WHO they want to go after and when. They Big 10 has a cockiness and arrogance about themselves... i just hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the ass when the SEC and Pac 12 decide to move to 16-team Conferences and the Big 10 is still stuck in their ways.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Notre Dame has been invited to join the B1G about 25,000 times. Now every B1G school, even ones like Northwestern who aren't good in football or basketball, gets more revenue from the BTN than Notre Dame does from their NBC deal plus their Big East TV contract. It's not about economics or logistics. Notre Dame's independence at this point is based around arrogance, as though they have some divine birthright to be treated differently than everyone else because they won a bunch of National Championships 60 years ago.

I've read that if Mizzou leaves before December 1st, they only have to pay what aTm paid, around $12.5m. Neinas has sorta been in denial ever since he took over. He said Mizzou was no doubt staying.. now they're exploring. He's basically just trying to do the whole "if I say it enough, it will come true" thing.

Bleh. I just hope the Big 10 sees how they have a golden egg just waiting, hoping to get picked up by them. I think the SEC is a better football-style fit for Mizzou, but geographically, economically, and rivalry-wise, I think the Big 10 would better suit them.

(If you haven't noticed... I'm trying the same method. I say Mizzou to the Big 10 enough, and hopefully it happens.)

And looking at it from the SEC side, I really hope the SEC adds them before the Big 10 realizes what they could be missing out on. I believe Mizzou is a huge addition to the conference and really hope they can learn to deal with the scheduling conflicts they're supposedly having.

Notre Dame has been invited to join the B1G about 25,000 times. Now every B1G school, even ones like Northwestern who aren't good in football or basketball, gets more revenue from the BTN than Notre Dame does from their NBC deal plus their Big East TV contract. It's not about economics or logistics. Notre Dame's independence at this point is based around arrogance, as though they have some divine birthright to be treated differently than everyone else because they won a bunch of National Championships 60 years ago.

You mean you don't know that Notre Dame is God's gift to college football?

I can tell you that it seems like the vast majority of Mizzou fans want the SEC. Myself included. Better recruiting AND more money.

Saying you'd rather be in the B1G but would "settle" for the SEC is like a baseball free agent saying he'd rather be with the Yankees but would "settle" for the Red Sawks.

I can tell you that it seems like the vast majority of Mizzou fans want the SEC. Myself included. Better recruiting AND more money.

Saying you'd rather be in the B1G but would "settle" for the SEC is like a baseball free agent saying he'd rather be with the Yankees but would "settle" for the Red Sawks.

I never said that. One person did and it amounted to nothing. Probably just someone running their mouth, making statements on their own personal preference.

Well, I think it depends who you talk to. I think Mizzou would have a much harder time winning a National Title trying to play through Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, aTm, than they would having to play through Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan/State, and Nebraska.

Not only that, when it comes to both Mizzou AND Notre Dame, if they were to both join the Big 10 and they could run the table in the Big 10, including wins over 2 of the top 4 or 5 teams, they would be shoe-ins for a National Title if the other major schools in the major conferences - Oregon, USC, Texas, Oklahoma - all have 1 loss.

Right now, the BTN makes more money than the SEC broadcasting contracts... and I believe the Big 10 splits their money evenly. I don't think that is the case for the SEC. I think once the SEC gets their own Network, it will make more than the Big 10, but I think the Big 10 is proactive in a lot of ways. I think BTN + Mizzou would be greater than SEC Network + Mizzou. I think the sleeper bargaining chip the Big 10 has is Nebraska. I think the Big 10 values tradition more than other conferences, so they may be able to BS something about re-starting the Nebraska/Missouri Rivalry to go along with a lot of the other Big 10 rivalries.

I never said that. One person did and it amounted to nothing. Probably just someone running their mouth, making statements on their own personal preference.

For the record, that was me. And it was officially reported in an ESPN article from an "anonymous official inside of the University of Missouri".

The article didn't say "settle" but it did say that the Big 10 is Missouri's primary, first choice. But it also said that they would be excited to join the SEC, too.

That's what it seems like. The fans are pretty much what pushed the school to "explore" other options and the passion they've shown at rallies shows me you're obviously bringing in a school with passionate fans, something the SEC sort of prides itself on. Besides, like I said before, I wouldn't mind it either since Columbia's only 5 hours from me, it's easily the shortest distance to any other SEC school for me, so I'd be able to see LSU play every other year.

Right now, the BTN makes more money than the SEC broadcasting contracts... and I believe the Big 10 splits their money evenly. I don't think that is the case for the SEC. I think once the SEC gets their own Network, it will make more than the Big 10, but I think the Big 10 is proactive in a lot of ways. I think BTN + Mizzou would be greater than SEC Network + Mizzou. I think the sleeper bargaining chip the Big 10 has is Nebraska. I think the Big 10 values tradition more than other conferences, so they may be able to BS something about re-starting the Nebraska/Missouri Rivalry to go along with a lot of the other Big 10 rivalries.

Just to throw it out there, the SEC does split it's money evenly.

Just to throw it out there, the SEC does split it's money evenly.

K. I wasn't sure. I'm glad you clarified. I might have been mixing up the Big XII and the SEC. I just remember reading something about weighted revenue sharing, but it was at the ass-crack of dawn, so I probably did mix it up.

According to the New York Post, invitations from the Big East to Boise State and Temple are "imminent".

I know I've talked a lot about the various realignment rumors swirling around Boise in this thread lately, so I'll just bring this up: Temple being invited back to the Big East is shocking, to say the least. I thought the bridges were burned when the Big East kicked Temple out after 2004 for underperforming. Either the Big East is desperate or Temple's actually improved enough to warrant a second look - I can't decide which conclusion is true.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It's the former. This league is desperate. And they may not get any of the service academies now that Army told them to piss off.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well that and a modest fear that alumni donations in general would take a noticeable hit if Notre Dame joined a Conference.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's the former. This league is desperate. And they may not get any of the service academies now that Army told them to piss off.

By all accounts, Navy is still gung-ho about the Big East, and Air Force is ready to make the jump if invited over the protestations of their fanbase.

Is that from ESPN? Because when it comes to college realignment ESPN is only slightly more reliable than "random dude on the Rivals board who claims to know somebody in the athletic department".

Stuff I've seen says that Air Force and Navy aren't terribly keen on only having two free non-Conference games. Especially to join a league that is more slapped together than Frankenstein's monster and will lose AQ status come next negotiation phase.

Today, we are all otaku.

Is that from ESPN? Because when it comes to college realignment ESPN is only slightly more reliable than "random dude on the Rivals board who claims to know somebody in the athletic department".

From the Colorado Springs Gazette:

In feedback to The Gazette – in comments on blog posts, and in Twitter and Facebook discussions – the reaction to the potential move has been almost unanimously negative. Those fans have issues with travel and its cost, the health of the Big East especially after TCU left for the Big 12 before arriving, Air Force’s ability to compete and losing regional rivalries. Air Force has said the travel change won’t be too dramatic, it wouldn’t join an unstable Big East, the Falcons rank favorably with other Big East football programs in budgets and stadium size, and regional rivalries could be part of nonconference scheduling.

As for Navy... well, I thought they were ready to make the jump, but apparently now they're waiting for stability before moving to the Big East. Then again, it's the typical say-nothing statement from a college AD, so who the hell knows, really?

Especially to join a league that is more slapped together than Frankenstein's monster and will lose AQ status come next negotiation phase.

Not a chance - not with the lack of any better non-AQ conferences (the MWC without Boise, TCU, Air Force, BYU, and Utah is pretty much as bad as the WAC) out there, and especially not with ESPN's influence on conference realignment and the fear of legal action on the part of the Big East if their AQ bid were to get revoked.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

They're going to be renegotiating EVERYTHING in a couple of years. Including a completely new BCS contract. Which may only have 5 AQ leagues. And the Big East is not going to have a real legal leg to stand on in that case.

Sure the Big East will keep their bid until then, but when the BCS contract itself is getting renegotiated, then they are S.O.L.

/C'lay has got to be one of the dumbest law school grads ever.

Today, we are all otaku.