Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

According to the Boston Globe, the Big Least is considering adding Boise State, Air Force, and Navy for football only. Temple and UCF would be added in all sports.

If this happens, I hope it's just a stepping stone to the Big 12 (like what happened with TCU).

Now its just getting ridiculous. If that is the direction this realignment is going to take place, then what is the point of even having conferences?

Simple - to concentrate money and bargaining power between groups of schools. Let's not pretend it's about academics or geography... it's all about keeping that AQ power status and bringing in whoever can keep the bowl payouts rolling in.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I know Alabama's not too keen on having Auburn move out of their division if Missouri comes into the conference, but I've seen ideas where Missouri moving into the east fixes that.

Screen_shot_2011-09-08_at_9.47.12_AM.png

Of course, I'm not sure how exactly it would work with time zones, but I think there are ways to keep the peace in the SEC.

According to the Boston Globe, the Big Least is considering adding Boise State, Air Force, and Navy for football only. Temple and UCF would be added in all sports.

If this happens, I hope it's just a stepping stone to the Big 12 (like what happened with TCU).

Now its just getting ridiculous. If that is the direction this realignment is going to take place, then what is the point of even having conferences?

It's just their last ditch effort to maintain their BCS AQ status. May it fail miserably.

Ai

Obviously... but wouldn't it almost be better to try and pick up some MAC schools that going out to Boise State and Air Force? I mean, are they really thinking that flying across the country can maintain conference stability?

MAC schools aren't going to help them retain AQ status when it runs out in 2 years. After the 2013-14 season, they'll basically be reevaluated. These schools give them a better chance at saying an AQ conference, however I think they're gonna end up losing Louisville, Cincinnati and UWV to probably the Big XII, maybe UWV to the SEC if they go 16, and even possibly USF to the Big XII. So I think they're gonna end up losing they're AQ status or folding as a football conference altogether.

What is UWV?

UWV is an autonomous administrative authority (ZBO) and is commissioned by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment (SZW) to implement employee insurances and provide labour market and data services. The Dutch employee insurances are provided for via laws such as the WW (Unemployment Insurance Act), the WIA (Work and Income according to Labour Capacity Act, which contains the IVA (Full Invalidity Benefit Regulations) and WGA (Return to Work (Partially Disabled) Regulations)), the Wajong (Disablement Assistance Act for Handicapped Young Persons), the WAO (Invalidity Insurance Act), the WAZ (Self-employed Persons Disablement Benefits Act), the WAZO (Work and Care Act) and the Sickness Benefits Act.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

It's just their last ditch effort to maintain their BCS AQ status. May it fail miserably.

Ai

Obviously... but wouldn't it almost be better to try and pick up some MAC schools that going out to Boise State and Air Force? I mean, are they really thinking that flying across the country can maintain conference stability?

MAC schools aren't going to help them retain AQ status when it runs out in 2 years. After the 2013-14 season, they'll basically be reevaluated. These schools give them a better chance at saying an AQ conference, however I think they're gonna end up losing Louisville, Cincinnati and UWV to probably the Big XII, maybe UWV to the SEC if they go 16, and even possibly USF to the Big XII. So I think they're gonna end up losing they're AQ status or folding as a football conference altogether.

What is UWV?

UWV is an autonomous administrative authority (ZBO) and is commissioned by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment (SZW) to implement employee insurances and provide labour market and data services. The Dutch employee insurances are provided for via laws such as the WW (Unemployment Insurance Act), the WIA (Work and Income according to Labour Capacity Act, which contains the IVA (Full Invalidity Benefit Regulations) and WGA (Return to Work (Partially Disabled) Regulations)), the Wajong (Disablement Assistance Act for Handicapped Young Persons), the WAO (Invalidity Insurance Act), the WAZ (Self-employed Persons Disablement Benefits Act), the WAZO (Work and Care Act) and the Sickness Benefits Act.

Or, the University of West Virginia.

Ai

What is UWV?

I was really hoping that he was just trying to be a smartass.

Ai

What is UWV?

No, it's West Virginia University. WVU.

6fQjS3M.png

Somewhat off-topic:

If a school wants to become a Division 1 FBS team, what should be the minimun stadium capacity?

Idaho's Kibbie Dome is the smallest FBS stadium by seating capacity, at 16,000. Most of the non-AQ stadiums can hold around 25-35,000.

Somewhat off-topic:

If a school wants to become a Division 1 FBS team, what should be the minimun stadium capacity?

There's no "official" minimum, but teams have to maintain an average of 15,000 fans at home games to jump to (and remain) in the FBS.

I know Alabama's not too keen on having Auburn move out of their division if Missouri comes into the conference, but I've seen ideas where Missouri moving into the east fixes that.

Of course, I'm not sure how exactly it would work with time zones, but I think there are ways to keep the peace in the SEC.

See, I think this map makes much more sense. And, it makes many more schools and fans happier. I know many Georgia fans want to play Alabama more often than twice every five years. Alabama and Auburn get to play Tennessee and Georgia and Florida annually. Vanderbilt can be Tennessee's cross-division fixed rival.

secmap.jpg

The time zone thing won't be much of an issue, I'd think...especially for the money sports. Football is only one game a week, and basketball is usually 2 games a week.

Coming from a fan prespective, I wouldn't want to see LSU have to give up the game against Florida every year. I know the majority of Tigers fans enjoy the game as well and taking Alabama out of the west would risk losing playing atleast one of those two big games every year. Then again, whatever is good for the conference.

Coming from a fan prespective, I wouldn't want to see LSU have to give up the game against Florida every year. I know the majority of Tigers fans enjoy the game as well and taking Alabama out of the west would risk losing playing atleast one of those two big games every year. Then again, whatever is good for the conference.

Supposedly, that's already happening because of the schedule-making process that includes Texas A&M.

I've read that if Mizzou leaves before December 1st, they only have to pay what aTm paid, around $12.5m. Neinas has sorta been in denial ever since he took over. He said Mizzou was no doubt staying.. now they're exploring. He's basically just trying to do the whole "if I say it enough, it will come true" thing.