Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I hate the B16 TEN going outside the contiguous footprint. I wish they would add Virginia and Kansas to expand east and west, and call it a day. Adding Georgia Tech and North Carolina without Virginia really is disappointing.

I agree completely.

It fails to mention Virginia legislature preventing Va Tech from leaving if Virginia isn't taken by the Big Ten. That could throw a wrench in the plans, from the SEC standpoint at least.

I don't think they will step in. They may kill both if they do.

It fails to mention Virginia legislature preventing Va Tech from leaving if Virginia isn't taken by the Big Ten. That could throw a wrench in the plans, from the SEC standpoint at least.

You don't think the University of Virginia has enough clout in the state legislature to ensure its salvation?! LOL WUT.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

One day after New Mexico and Colorado State wanted to "press the reset button" on the MWC to explore forming a new league, the conference and CBS revise their TV agreement (but no years were added).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21436698/mountain-west-restructures-deal-with-cbs

S I guess this means the schools will average another $4.89 per team.

I hate the B16 TEN going outside the contiguous footprint. I wish they would add Virginia and Kansas to expand east and west, and call it a day. Adding Georgia Tech and North Carolina without Virginia really is disappointing.

Kansas lacks a legitimate football program, the real moneymaker. And again, as with Virginia, it's been implied previously that the Kansas legislature may say "take both or neither" so one of them, more than likely KU since K-State has a great football program, doesn't get left. KU may be a great academic and basketball school, but lack of good football brings down their value in conference realignment.

You don't think the University of Virginia has enough clout in the state legislature to ensure its salvation?! LOL WUT.

I don't think it matters. Both will end up somewhere. But yeah, I do think that can get out of it.

Kansas lacks a legitimate football program, the real moneymaker. And again, as with Virginia, it's been implied previously that the Kansas legislature may say "take both or neither" so one of them, more than likely KU since K-State has a great football program, doesn't get left. KU may be a great academic and basketball school, but lack of good football brings down their value in conference realignment.

I've been disappointed with the B16 TEN. They hit a home run with Nebraska, but adding Rutgers was disappointing. I understand why, but I hate how transparent they have been about it. They could have added Missouri, Maryland, Virginia, and either North Carolina or Kansas/Kansas State and had a real four team pod system set up perfectly, being able to keep Michigan and Ohio State, in separate divisions.

If they are so obsessed with getting markets, namely the Atlanta market, I would have much rather seen them add Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech. Disregarding the contiguous footprint really rubs me the wrong way, and I'm not sure why.

I think 16 teams is where the B16 TEN and SEC want to go, but could there be any potential for 18 teams? It seems crazy, but having six divisions of 3 teams could work.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I don't think it matters. Both will end up somewhere. But yeah, I do think that can get out of it.

Who will take them? SEC? No. Big XII? Not likely? Pac-12? ARE YOU INSANE?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, not happening. Mind you, I still think ARE YOU INSANE?! applies to the idea that Georgia Tech delivers Atlanta. See also: "DePaul gives you Chicago".

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, not happening. Mind you, I still think ARE YOU INSANE?! applies to the idea that Georgia Tech delivers Atlanta. See also: "DePaul gives you Chicago".

It is about households more than eyeballs.

It is about households more than eyeballs.

Households that are hitting a breaking point in how much they pay for cable. Disaster lies down this path.

Today, we are all otaku.

Virginia won't go anywhere if they don't get in the Big 10 and the state legislature won't separate them otherwise. That's why they hounded the ACC too take VT back in 2005. They're not gonna just let them separate now with UVa being left behind in a dwindling ACC.

Virginia won't go anywhere if they don't get in the Big 10 and the state legislature won't separate them otherwise. That's why they hounded the ACC too take VT back in 2005. They're not gonna just let them separate now with UVa being left behind in a dwindling ACC.

Even if making them stay in the ACC means their football death?

The ACC thing was different. It was trying to prop VT up. Not hold them back. I don't know if it will apply here. It would be holding VT back and propping no one up. No way the SEC takes both VA schools.

So now the disintegrating ACC that you are sooo desperate for Florida State to get out of is a safe harbor for Virginia. WTF?!

Today, we are all otaku.

I think the football death of the University of Virginia is seen as an unacceptable outcome by the Virginia Legislature.

Today, we are all otaku.

I think the football death of the University of Virginia is seen as an unacceptable outcome by the Virginia Legislature.

That is my point. And they aren't going to let it happen to VT either. If no one wants UVA, that is their problem, not VT's.

And do you get what I was trying to say up there? Obviously it wasn't that the ACC is UVA's safe harbor.

Interesting points have been raised. Here are my thoughts.

I think UVA could be in trouble, because I do think the Big Ten wants to somewhat keep a Midwestern culture.

I also don't think the SEC and the Big Ten will go past 16. The only conference that might is the Big XII. With 10 teamsmand a crumbling ACC, the Big XII might do a super-raid to pick up any programs left with value including Notre Dame. Paired with another Indy-football school (BYU) the Big XII would have a 16 team football league and an 18 team all-sports league.

Households that are hitting a breaking point in how much they pay for cable. Disaster lies down this path.

Thank you for being one of the voices of reason on this thing. Cable as we know it is going to come tumbling down in a matter of years. Thanks, sports!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That is my point. And they aren't going to let it happen to VT either. If no one wants UVA, that is their problem, not VT's.

And do you get what I was trying to say up there? Obviously it wasn't that the ACC is UVA's safe harbor.

If no one wants UVA, that is Virginia Tech's problem, because either both schools with have safe homes or neither. Count on it. The legislature stepped in to force the ACC to add Virginia Tech because of concerns that Virginia Tech was going to be left in a disintegrating Big East that didn't care for football.

Today, we are all otaku.