Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I think the football death of the University of Virginia is seen as an unacceptable outcome by the Virginia Legislature.

That is my point. And they aren't going to let it happen to VT either. If no one wants UVA, that is their problem, not VT's.

And do you get what I was trying to say up there? Obviously it wasn't that the ACC is UVA's safe harbor.

If no one wants UVA, that is Virginia Tech's problem, because either both schools with have safe homes or neither. Count on it. The legislature stepped in to force the ACC to add Virginia Tech because of concerns that Virginia Tech was going to be left in a disintegrating Big East that didn't care for football.

Fair enough on your opinion. We see it different ways. I think they rather have one successful than none at all. Especially if the Commonwealth was the reason that both went down. My opinion on it.

Again, the BE situation was different because VT could only go up and no one could go down. In this situation both schools can go down based on this. It defies the reason to have it to begin with.

So now the disintegrating ACC that you are sooo desperate for Florida State to get out of is a safe harbor for Virginia. WTF?!

read again

I mean, the first thing I wrote is.

"Even if making them stay in the ACC means their football death?"

Not being rude, but why would Florida State leave the ACC?

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

So now the disintegrating ACC that you are sooo desperate for Florida State to get out of is a safe harbor for Virginia. WTF?!

read again

I mean, the first thing I wrote is.

"Even if making them stay in the ACC means their football death?"

Not being rude, but why would Florida State leave the ACC?

This is under the assumption that the Big10 and SEC will pick more ACC schools. An assumption shared by many. If you want to know more, go back and reread the thread. I posted it several times.

Something I have been predicting even before Maryland left. There are other reasons. Just go back some.

I think the football death of the University of Virginia is seen as an unacceptable outcome by the Virginia Legislature.

That is my point. And they aren't going to let it happen to VT either. If no one wants UVA, that is their problem, not VT's.

And do you get what I was trying to say up there? Obviously it wasn't that the ACC is UVA's safe harbor.

If no one wants UVA, that is Virginia Tech's problem, because either both schools with have safe homes or neither. Count on it. The legislature stepped in to force the ACC to add Virginia Tech because of concerns that Virginia Tech was going to be left in a disintegrating Big East that didn't care for football.

Fair enough on your opinion. We see it different ways. I think they rather have one successful than none at all. Especially if the Commonwealth was the reason that both went down. My opinion on it.

Again, the BE situation was different because VT could only go up and no one could go down. In this situation both schools can go down based on this. It defies the reason to have it to begin with.

It's not opinion. It's been stated. The commonwealth controls the power to allow/disallow either school to switch. VT's gonna be fine. They're a big time program. UVa is not. It's not a luxury of salvaging one over the other.

I hope FSU doesn't do the same thing West Virginia did. When WVU moved to the Big XII, they struggled mighty. FSU should do the smart thing and stay in the ACC.

UWV is not Florida State. FSU would be fine. They're upset with the way the ACC is going and along with Maryland, were the only two schools to vote against the increased exit fee.

It's not opinion. It's been stated. The commonwealth controls the power to allow/disallow either school to switch. VT's gonna be fine. They're a big time program. UVa is not. It's not a luxury of salvaging one over the other.

I respectfully disagree here, too. I think money and power (legal team) can get you out of anything. The SEC has money and I think they (the school trying to leave for greener pastures) has a valid argument.

But hey, if you are right, maybe the SEC will give VA the finger and settle on FSU.

Look, don't take this the wrong way, but throughout this thread you've really been rooting for this four superconference format and I don't know why. Don't get me wrong, even as a student an incoming ACC member, I agree with you that Florida State's probably better off in the Big XII with how upset they were over the TV tier rights and with the direction towards basketball the ACC's taking. However, I just don't see why you'd be happy with half of D-1 football being rendered completely useless (as you'd said in the past you'd want it to just be the 4 superconference champions in the BCS), the entire northeast rendered completely useless (as I pointed out earlier, no Rutgers and Maryland aren't going to threaten the B1G under a 16-team alignment and it's yet to be seen if Penn State can recover from the sanctions they still have for the next 3 years), and the idea of the 4 conferences breaking away from the NCAA, which would create all hell to break loose in the non-revenue sports and put a lot of athletic departments in a serious hole financially if you felt that the NCAA breakaway meant paying players (in addition to screwing everything up outside the 4 conferences as well as FCS, D-2, and D-3). I mean, there's seeing the superconference idea as being inevitable and then there's openly rooting for it, which I feel like you've done the latter for about six months now. Again, I agree with you that Florida State and the ACC aren't a fit for one another, but that doesn't mean you have to root for it to collapse completely. That also doesn't mean you have to post every. single. ACC raid rumor that spreads around the blogosphere. I think by this point we've realized that probably every school in the nation has been rumored to be moving somewhere thanks to some blog report or tweet somebody makes.

TL/DR version: What's good for Florida State is one thing, but it doesn't mean rooting for FSU to go to another conference and tearing apart every other school that can't move around in the process

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Well, you can't hate if I am looking out for my school.

And the super conferences are coming. Like it or not. I am cheering for FSU to get out the ACC. If the super conferences is the only way, so be it. I have been preaching that it is going to happen. More so than actually cheering, Though the outcome is pro FSU. To be honest I don't care what happens to Syracuse or UCF. They don't have thousands of my dollars.

To discuss a point that's been brought up here, if four super conferences tried to leave the NCAA, do you think Congress, the accrediting agencies like SACS, ESPN, or some other entity gets involved to try to stop it?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

To discuss a point that's been brought up here, if four super conferences tried to leave the NCAA, do you think Congress, the accrediting agencies like SACS, ESPN, or some other entity gets involved to try to stop it?

SACS is a regional and only deals with those specific schools within those states, eleven for them. A SACS (or equivalent) report possesses little work on "Athletics/Recreation". There are minimum standards present but more in terms of opportunities to participate and Title IX compliance.

The only thing Congress could/would do is to look into the school's and their athletic departments as if it meets the requirements to still be tax exempt or if UBIT (Unrelated Business Income Tax) could be levied by the IRS.

I respectfully disagree here, too. I think money and power (legal team) can get you out of anything. The SEC has money and I think they (the school trying to leave for greener pastures) has a valid argument.

But hey, if you are right, maybe the SEC will give VA the finger and settle on FSU.

I think when your talking about schools that are in-state and have been competing against each other in some fashion for some extended period of time, legislators are looking at the best interest in the longevity of a fanbase and not seeming like they're putting all their eggs in one basket. I'm from WA so I look at UW and WSU. If it weren't for the fact there was no other real contender for a large school in our state, WSU would be long gone from the Pac 8 probably much like in the fashion the conference "had no room" for the University of Idaho back in the day and have been replaced by lets say BYU. They could do that cause who the hell back then was close to the level of UI in the state of Idaho. Plus the WSU would revolt if they thought the state government was favoring UW to prosper. It's along the same reason as to why the University of Montana hasn't taken the leap to the MWC, because the MWC would have to take Montana State as well so the Bobcat fanbase wouldn't revolt.

All-in-all its politics. VT and UVA are now handcuffed much like UW/WSU, UO/OSU (both versions), and UNC/NCST. Sure one might not be living up to potential for quite sometime but once they get linked up it's hard to split them up. Watch, if let's say Clemson and Florida St go to the SEC, you just got two more new handcuffs

I agree with what other people said. Florida State has been massively underachieving in the ACC. Moving over to the Big XII would really hurt their football bravado. Sure they would have access to new recruiting grounds, but they aren't going to be able to gain anything away from the Red River 4 schools.

That being said, money talks. If they can make twice the amount in the Big XII as they do in the ACC, then they will deal with their even MORE underachieving football program just to make the buck.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I agree with what other people said. Florida State has been massively underachieving in the ACC. Moving over to the Big XII would really hurt their football bravado. Sure they would have access to new recruiting grounds, but they aren't going to be able to gain anything away from the Red River 4 schools.

That being said, money talks. If they can make twice the amount in the Big XII as they do in the ACC, then they will deal with their even MORE underachieving football program just to make the buck.

Money does talk. Despite Nebraska being only average for the last several years, we decided to forsake a century of rivalries for money and long-term stability.

Week-in and week-out, the Big Ten is a tougher slate, regardless of what people say. You can't overlook Northwestern or Michigan State they way you could overlook Iowa State and Kansas.

If Florida State moves to the Big 12, they'll be in the same position. More money, more stability, more difficult schedules.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Boise State staying put in MWC:

http://espn.go.com/c...nce-sources-say

That will be the move that will put the final nail in the BE's coffin. Boise did the right thing by staying and the move put the MWC into the position where the BE used to stand in.

Exactly. I think Boise State was very smart staying put. And you are right, the Big East is dead...

mcbqza.jpg