Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

One of the reasons the Catholic 7 are leaving is because of football running the conference. Don't think any of them would run right back into the same situation.

It's much different when the football schools in your conference are Syracuse, Notre Dame, Miami, etc. The Catholic basketball schools didnt have a problem with football in the Big East until they started adding UCF, Boise State and Tulane.

Uh, Boise is hardly on the same level as UCF or Tulane. They would have been the only strong football school in the conference, really.

Boise would fall victim to the same thing that happens to all these mid majors that step up a conference. They get beat up and worn out through the course of the season. Yes, they are still good teams, but they don't put up the undeafeated seasons or 1 or 2 loss seasons. Sure Boise would be an upgrade, but its not like you are getting one of the heavy hitters.

They're going from one mid-major to another though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm very interested to see what happens with the ACC in regards to the coming 2014 playoffs.

The popular beliefs include NC State & Virginia Tech to the SEC, FSU & Clemson to the Big 12, and UNC & Georgia Tech/Virginia to the Big Ten.

If that happens, does the ACC still have a playoff berth? The Pac-12 and Big Ten have already entrenched themselves in the Rose Bowl, but the Big 12's move to send their champ to the Sugar and face the SEC essentially positions the Rose and Sugar as the de facto semi-final games.

It's not to say that some ACC, Big East or Mid-Major schools won't have decent seasons now and again, but if the ACC gets raided they may find themselves out of the discussion. Which creates a chicken-or-the-egg scenario where "leftover" football schools like Pitt, Syracuse or BC might ultimately leave anyway.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

One of the reasons the Catholic 7 are leaving is because of football running the conference. Don't think any of them would run right back into the same situation.

It's much different when the football schools in your conference are Syracuse, Notre Dame, Miami, etc. The Catholic basketball schools didnt have a problem with football in the Big East until they started adding UCF, Boise State and Tulane.

Yeah but is some crappy football better than no football at all? Sure, basketball is the OTHER money making sport in college, but its a football dominated country. So even if you add ECU and Boise State, wouldn't it be beneficial to get SOME football revenue while still having a premier basketball conference as opposed to a premier basketball conference and NOT football revenue?

Yes, but those football schools tarnish the brand of the Big East (Tulane tarnishes that brand in a way that Rutgers or even USF didn't) School presidents care about money, yes, a lot, but they also care about the image of their school because that can affect admissions.

Wrong, Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence and Georgetown all had a problem with the addition of Virginia Tech, Rutgers, WVU, and Temple as full members. That is why it took VT until 2000 to be a full member. In case you don't remember, the Catholic 7 also did not like it when they went to two divisions for the 1995-96 season,

By didn't have a problem, I meant it didn't make them leave the conference. Of course the basketball schools had a problem with VT and the others. I should have been more clear.

Yeah but is some crappy football better than no football at all? Sure, basketball is the OTHER money making sport in college, but its a football dominated country. So even if you add ECU and Boise State, wouldn't it be beneficial to get SOME football revenue while still having a premier basketball conference as opposed to a premier basketball conference and NOT football revenue?

Well the football schools that left were also their premier basketball schools, so the remaining schools kind of had a problem because their RPI was about to go in the toilet since they can't say "look at how many good teams we lost to".

Exactly. RPI and university image.

Ahh, now that's just sad. Hopefully these teams realize the Big East is nothing more than a name now and one that's losing value quickly. They'd have been better off staying put in the MWC and other schools and CUSA and gone ahead with the proposed merger/alliance.

Is it a foregone conclusion that all these conferences are going to end up with 16 teams? I think its fairly obvious that the B16 TEN and SEC will be plucking 2 more schools each, but what about the PAC-12 and Big XII? If Clemson and Florida State go to the Big XII, that puts them at 12 teams. But what if the B16 TEN goes after say Virginia and Kansas to keep the contiguous footprint in tact instead of Georgia Tech. Then does Georgia Tech jump to the Big XII?

Does adding Fresno, UNLV, Boise State, and say New Mexico make sense just to get to 16? Does the Big XII then go after Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and North Carolina to get to 16? It seems like the PAC-12 is pretty much land locked at this point. The Big XII will have to cut into B16 TEN and SEC territory to expand past 10.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Ahh, the smell of desperation. It makes a wonderful stench.

It smelled of desperation long before they went after Fresno and UNLV. I'm pretty sure when they added Boise State, San Diego, and East Carolina... it was already permeating.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Ahh, now that's just sad. Hopefully these teams realize the Big East is nothing more than a name now and one that's losing value quickly. They'd have been better off staying put in the MWC and other schools and CUSA and gone ahead with the proposed merger/alliance.

The Big East is turning into that MWC-CUSA merger. The only teams to have never played in those conferences are Temple, Navy, and Connecticut.

Here's the best they could do at this point. Sell the Big East name to the Catholic schools and become the Continental 16.

East: UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, East Carolina, USF, UCF, Tulane, Memphis

West: New Mexico, Boise St., SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, SMU, Houston, Air Force

If Air Force declines, maybe they get UMass, BYU (unlikely I know), or Nevada.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Here's the best they could do at this point. Sell the Big East name to the Catholic schools and become the Continental 16.

Yeah, I think the Big East name is pretty useless for the remaining teams now. It's really just another way the public can make fun of the scraps that they picked up. I like Big Continent. The plan looks pretty good. I think they'd take Nevada over New Mexico though.

I put in New Mexico because early reports of Cincy/UConn's "national" conference included them as possibilities.

And for the name, I at first thought of Big Continent Conference, but that would obviously be shortened to Big Con (which is what many people will consider this anyways)!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

It would be stupid for any new conference to include a number in its name, or for an existing non-already-numbered conference to add a number.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not terrible. Have the winner of the east play the winner of the west. Hopefully they would restrict the cross country games to one per school, per year.

Wow, that is terrible for Virginia. At least if UNC gets left behind in the ACC, they will still have Duke and a good basketball conference (Syr, Pitt, Wake, ND) but UVA really doesn't have any natural rivals in that group.

I hate the B16 TEN going outside the contiguous footprint. I wish they would add Virginia and Kansas to expand east and west, and call it a day. Adding Georgia Tech and North Carolina without Virginia really is disappointing.