Marlins new Ballpark

dgthree

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand why people are saying it's tacky, but is it really any worse than Bernie Brewer's beer mug or Comiskey's exploding scoreboard (which was extremely "ambitious" for its time)? And why are people calling for the Marlins to have a "historic" ballpark when they haven't even been around for a full generation?

But you'd think Loria of all people would know better than to try and pass this off as art... is he serious?

Yes, it actually is worse then Bernie Brewer or Comiskey's exploding scoreboard...much worse.

I don't know if people are calling for a traditional park necessarily, maybe just one that doesn't completely suck. That would be nice.

is it really any worse than Bernie Brewer's beer mug?

Much worse. Bernie Brewer owns.

I'm not averse to having giant marlins jump from a pool in celebration of a home run, but this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

oh good god..that's...horrible! They might as well sell acid-laced beers to the crowd and continuously loop Charlie & The Chocolate Factory/The Wall during games

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

oh good god..that's...horrible! They might as well sell acid-laced beers to the crowd and continuously loop Charlie & The Chocolate Factory/The Wall during games

you act like thats a bad thing. :grin:

might actually make whats happening on the field seem interesting

I'm not averse to having giant marlins jump from a pool in celebration of a home run, but this.

This, pretty much. You can have a unique feature and not have it be eye-bleeding ugly.

This, pretty much. You can have a unique feature and not have it be eye-bleeding ugly.

Begs the question why there hasn't been a thread started rating the top stadium celebrations.

Thinks like Bernie Brewer work (and work really well) in some of the smaller cities that don't necessarily get the same kind of attention as a NY. These gimmicks help draw people (especially kids), and create a sense of local pride (sort of) for a team / fans that are usually overshadowed. The best thing about Bernie Brewer is that it's so genuine, as opposed to the contrived local gimmicks that so many other teams are inventing for themselves.

These kinds of things just aren't necessary in some cities, and I'd like to think that Miami is one of them. Some cities need the gimmick of a mascot, and need to cater everything towards that. Other cities (usually the bigger ones) don't necessarily need all of that, and can just focus on baseball and play up the city part of their identity. Yankees for example, essentially don't have a mascot or a "theme", and don't need one. I'd like to think that Miami falls into this category. Guess not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

other art outside the stadium.

Cruz-Diez, a native of Venezuela who lives in Paris, is designing the paving patterns on the walkways in the four-acre West Plaza, an area that will feature shops and restaurants that will be open year-round.

Arsham, meanwhile, is designing a sophisticated lighting system to illuminate the Super Columns, which are supporting the roof. He's also come up with a creative idea for a commemorative marker, recognizing the long history of the Orange Bowl in Miami.

"The lighting of Daniel Arsham is something you won't see in any other ballpark," Samson said. "It's something so spectacular, and it's to be enjoyed by everybody. The commemorative marker is on the East Plaza and it is accessible all the time."

Because the new ballpark is owned by Miami-Dade County, it is subjected to all requirements for new county buildings to include public art. In the case of the Marlins' stadium project, 1 1/2 percent of the capital costs (or $5.3 million) of the building is set aside for the arts.

"Daniel's idea was to light the columns in a way where the light gradually comes up and crawls up the columns, so the illusion from a distance is the columns will appear and disappear," Spring said. "In Daniel's words, it's almost as though the building is breathing, and the columns are appearing and disappearing with each and every inhale and exhale. It's very dramatic."
"His take was the letters fell off the side of the stadium, and embedded themselves on the east side of the plaza of the new ballpark," Spring said. "Essentially, you have full-scale letters, spelling Orange Bowl that are scattered across the eastern plaza of the building."

The letters actually are on the ground. Some are embedded in the staircases. The way they're stationed, the letters can spell out different words. They can spell ORANGE BOWL or GAME or WON, depending on where people are standing.

Cruz-Diez's pavement design will be colorful and directional, meaning they will help navigate fans from the parking lots to the ballpark.

"Cruz-Diez proposed a paving pattern for the walkways that crisscross the plaza. His work is very geometric, and optical-illusionist kind of work," Spring said. "So the pattern that Cruz-Diez has proposed is very distinctive. It's a really wonderful, beautiful colorful treatment of the plaza. But at the same time, it has a practical purpose, as well."

article courtesy of : Florida Marlins

photos courtesy of : Marlins Baseball

snarkitecture 1-10 / carlos cruz-diez 11- 12 / red grooms 13

39_aerial.jpg

39_areialempty.jpg

39_bre.jpg

39_breempty.jpg

It may--or it may not--work, but I applaud Loria for thinking outside the box (straightjacket) that MLB teams have occupied since the building of Camden Yards. Given how young Florida is relative to the rustbelt cities where baseball was first played professionally, it makes sense to me for the Florida teams to shake things up a bit with stadium design.

I'm actually disappointed that the Orioles are going to build a mini-Camden Yards in Sarasota, rather than a park which reflects local architecture.

I agree, tpoh. I'm sick of the faux-retro parks that mimic Camden Yards. Some are OK and fit in with their surroundings, some are just contrived messes (Enron Field anyone?) I welcome a park that actually looks like it was designed in the 21st century.

What do the Orange Bowl letters spell? Or are they just randomly laid out?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree, tpoh. I'm sick of the faux-retro parks that mimic Camden Yards. Some are OK and fit in with their surroundings, some are just contrived messes (Enron Field anyone?) I welcome a park that actually looks like it was designed in the 21st century.

I know I wrote a lot, but depending where you are standing they can say Orange Bowl, Welcome, Game, Won, Game Won... Supposedly the Game Won ones will stay lit and the rest dim after a win.

I know I wrote a lot, but depending where you are standing they can say Orange Bowl, Welcome, Game, Won, Game Won... Supposedly the Game Won ones will stay lit and the rest dim after a win.

Still at FIU or did you head home to RI DG3?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Archived