Marlins new Ballpark

dgthree

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my take on it.

I think this initial design looks ridiculous. However, if the owner wants it, I have no problem with the owner doing it, it's his team.

That being said, I don't think it's a big deal. Most fans, of any team in any sport, are casual fans. They support a particular team, "follow" a particular team, and cheer for a particular team. But I imagine that at least 7 out of 10 "fans" of a team are just that, casual fans. The other 3 out of 10 I'd consider either diehard fanatics or people who really couldn't care less.

This is a move made for the casual fan. It's something that will be unique to the team, and it will get little kids excited, and random guys who go to games once a year can say "Oh yeah, there's that marlin they made."

The passionate fan won't be happy with the move, thinking it's not traditional enough for baseball or it's gaudy, but after 10 minutes, they'll get over it, because of the fact that they're passionate fans. And like everyone else in the stadium, when the team is winning, they'll be cheering and excited when the marlin is jumping up and down.

I think there are more than enough examples over the years of bad decisions made by professional franchise owners. Just because you own the team it doesn't mean you know what you're doing. In my opinion, the best business owners know what their customers want and deliver on it. Thats why customers keep coming back....they get what they are looking for. So if he just wants to do it because he thinks its cool then thats a poor decision. If he truly believes thats what the fans want then fine by him, but I would hazard to guess that he's wrong.

In regards to your casual fan comment...I think you may be correct on some points though for the most part you are making huge assumptions. I don't think differentiating between the "casual" fan and the "diehard" fan is as exact of a science as you are making it out to be.

Damn I'd lost the money if someone would have bet me 5 bucks that anyone would put a Red Grooms piece in a ballpark. Even here in his hometown, Nashville. Nope I woulda lost the bet.

Wow. I am big fan of Grooms' stuff, his sculptures are bold, fun works that are just little bizare. But that mural is too much for a baseball stadium.

RobbyBox2.jpg

looks absolutley retarded. im glad the mets have an apple over that garbage. its going to clash so badly with the blue seats, green wall, black and silver marlins on the field, this team looks like a mess now. should of just kept the teal and white. and had a simple marlin jump out of water, not have 3 weird looking fish move across some weird looking pole. loria ruined the expos, and hes just making the marlins look more of a joke, the only good thing i can say about him is he got them a new stadium ( but couldnt in montreal?)

and someone mentioned bad decision because its not what the fans want. well the mets brought the new apple to citi field because, well the fans wanted it, and the skyline, now were getting blue and orange and mets logos and pictures, and a hall of fame. the wilpons are givng what the fans want( not on field though) but it just seems like loria just doing it cuz he likes art, weird art.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

Post home-run props are cheesy gimmicks, and every one of them sucks. The apple, the liberty bell, the train (or whatever Houston does), etc.

I get that home runs are exciting, but don't most of you guys complain that all anyone wants to do is hit a home run, and basic fundamentals are suffering because of it? Maybe they should have a stolen base celebration prop, or a "successful hit-and-run" celebration, or a sac bunt prop.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's beyond awful. This is what baseball has turned into? What happened to our classic national pastime?

It's wrong that franchises might choose to stand out from the crowd? Several franchises in the Pacific Northwest area make use of Haida-style logos. Florida has chosen to go with something that represents both the Marlins and Florida in general. I see nothing wrong with this. The MLB really could stand for some more variety.

It's tacky and looks like an amusement park ride... it's perfect for Florida! Let's at least give him some kudos for thinking different and not making a faux retro park.

I agree... Why does every franchise feel that it has to emulate older teams and traditions? It's nice to see that not all 30 franchises in the MLB look and feel like one another... Some are actually choosing to be unique, which is a very good thing.

I can't wait for this to be in MLB 12 The Show. Yes that's my reaction to this

or ::fingers crossed:: mvp baseball 2012

WTF?

do you know something that I don't???? Are they coming out with MVP again? Aw man....that would be great. MVP baseball was hands down the best baseball game ever. This 2K baseball garbage is terrible.

I understand why people are saying it's tacky, but is it really any worse than Bernie Brewer's beer mug or Comiskey's exploding scoreboard (which was extremely "ambitious" for its time)? And why are people calling for the Marlins to have a "historic" ballpark when they haven't even been around for a full generation?

But you'd think Loria of all people would know better than to try and pass this off as art... is he serious?

I agree! I actually kinda like what they have there-it's not like they have any "tradition" to uphold-this'll be their first permanent stadium (they're just taking a couple World Series banners over).

Every stadium should be unique-if we had 30 Yankee Stadiums, it would be just as dull as if we had 30 Metrodomes...Variety spices up the game!

bYhYmxh.png

Archived