Danbury Whalers

ksupilot

Their site is now online, as you can see on top they have poorly photoshopped their logo onto a picture of a player. http://danburywhalers.com/

Wow, they aren't even trying are they?

...and that player in question would be Kevin Dineen, former captain of the Hartford Whalers, and scorer of the final goal Whalers goal at the Hartford Civic Center.

http://www.whalershockey.com/whalermania/images/lineup/gn97_03_15dineen.jpg

Wow...5 years here and I finally hit 10 posts...do I win some internets?

I can haz sig?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their site is now online, as you can see on top they have poorly photoshopped their logo onto a picture of a player. http://danburywhalers.com/

Wow, they aren't even trying are they?

...and that player in question would be Kevin Dineen, former captain of the Hartford Whalers, and scorer of the final goal Whalers goal at the Hartford Civic Center.

http://www.whalershockey.com/whalermania/images/lineup/gn97_03_15dineen.jpg

They're just egging the NHL's legal time on at this point.

I believe you do sir. Here have a LOLcat.

'Cap, you are a Prince among men...tough for me to say, considering that you live in the land of UWO and I went to WLU!

Back on topic...if the Whalers don't succeed with their logo of dubious origins, they could pick up and move elsewhere...the Traveling Danburys, perhaps.

I can haz sig?

'Cap, you are a Prince among men...tough for me to say, considering that you live in the land of UWO and I went to WLU!

Thank yee! I won't hold your WLU connections against ya. Better them then Windsor or Queens :P

Back on topic...if the Whalers don't succeed with their logo of dubious origins, they could pick up and move elsewhere...the Traveling Danburys, perhaps.

Perhaps they can move to Quebec City and find a creatively bad way to rip off the Nordiques. Oh wait....

I guess that means after they're done in Danbury they're off to become the Jetzzz*.

*Or Ice Jetzzz if they really wanted to go out in style.

I got an email from the team's CEO. Turns out that the fans at the press conference were asked which logo they liked and they overwhelmingly picked the "D" design. There are many connections to the Hartford Whalers team in this new Danbury team. Also, they are bringing back Brass Bonanza.

STORY HERE

They even sent over a "Top Ten" list.

The secondary logos blow the Primary out of the water, har har har, but seriously...the secondary logos are a million times better than any part of the primary...

It's not that the secondaries are better -- though they are -- it's that they're completely unrelated to the primary logo. (Though you can see some leftover DNA from the secondaries in the primary, such as the swooshy tails on the W.) This is a truly remarkable cluster:censored: of a design process; someone ought to write a case study detailing every step of the process as an object lesson both for designers and for b-school students. Whatever happened to create one of the worst primary logos in modern sports history, alongside excellent secondary marks, has got to be a nearly perfect example of how not to run a marketing or branding project.

The quality of the secondary marks gets the designers off the hook for the primary. They're quite good, and executed competently, so the poor thinking and sub-amateurish execution of the primary mark cannot be blamed on the designers. Someone on the client side apparently has the taste and judgement of an eleven-year-old, and that someone had decisive authority over the branding project.

20082614447.png

The secondarys look awesome. I kinda want to use them for my rec-team, lol.

if the tail on the primary was a bit smaller, and the middle of the W a bit higher, i think it would flow much better.

Right now, it's liek the tail is at 100% zoom, while the W is at 60%...all trying to cram it in.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

They released a logo today during their press conference:

d_whalers_final_nooutline.jpg

Press release here:

http://www.thefederalhockeyleague.com/news2.php?news_id=230470

I wonder if someone might of got the idea from me?

OldTimeHartfordHockey.jpg

I know it's not excactly the same, but I did think of it about three years ago.

YOUR idea? YOUR idea? You cobble together three logos (which were created from ideas of OTHER PEOPLE) and you think the Danbury Whalers ripped YOU off?

We are all dumber for reading your post.

Everyone loves a roundel.

We luckily they have wizened up and decided to use the D secondary as the primary.

I am not normally the grammar police, but damn. Did you read your post before you hit submit?

I would like to see a "wizened up" logo. Maybe Ghandi.

We luckily they have wizened up and decided to use the D secondary as the primary.

I am not normally the grammar police, but damn. Did you read your post before you hit submit?

I would like to see a "wizened up" logo. Maybe Ghandi.

That's called spelling not grammar.

We luckily you not teacher.

They released a logo today during their press conference:

d_whalers_final_nooutline.jpg

Press release here:

http://www.thefederalhockeyleague.com/news2.php?news_id=230470

I wonder if someone might of got the idea from me?

OldTimeHartfordHockey.jpg

I know it's not excactly the same, but I did think of it about three years ago.

YOUR idea? YOUR idea? You cobble together three logos (which were created from ideas of OTHER PEOPLE) and you think the Danbury Whalers ripped YOU off?

We are all dumber for reading your post.

Calm down, I was just saying it looks a little like mine. As far as I know, no one has ever combined the Hartford Whalers, and the New England Whalers logos before I did. That is what it looks like to me. You can see the New England Whalers circle logo with the harpooned "W", and the Hartford Whalers "HW" whale tail logo. I made my compilation logo for Whalers' night a couple years ago, that was before a Hartford Wolf Pack game. The idea of the logo was to show respect to Hartford Hockey and it's history. You did have to be a jerk about it either.

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

Archived