Danbury Whalers

ksupilot

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised about two things...

Thing 1: Using actual "whaling" imagery (i.e. a harpoon). Thought folks were two sensitive about that stuff these days (Or...at least 20 years ago)

Thing 2: basing it off the hartford logo doesn't really work when your not using the negative space H. Taking that away, you just have a goofy looking W. And the Tail doesn't really fit into its alloted space. Its an ok logo but it looks slopped together. A little more thought and tweaking would make it a nice logo "inspired" by Hartford, but not simply taking a slightly altered W from the old logo and adding some new, awkward elements. As it stands, I don't care for it.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I think the problem was they had to make it look like the Whalers, without coming off as a total ripoff of the Whalers, because that would enter lawsuit territory.

I was surprised to see the Harpoon as well, and I am sure it will cause a stir.

IDK, I kinda like it.

70389454.png

So the whaling industry is also a front for organized crime? I'm surprised.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Please kindly beat this logo repeatedly with a shovel, and then toss it in the trunk of a Lincoln Town Car. What happens to it after that, I don't need to know.

Oh, and with the NHL re-acquiring the rights to the actual Whalers' identity, I'm guessing they're going to come a-callin' quickly on this one.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Think they bring the Jets back next?

It seems this league is a 1970s dream...between the Whalers and the Slapshot references

Don't forget the general fly-by-nighting.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Absolutely everything about this logo is broken. Seriously, this is an extraordinarily bad logo, even by the standards of halfassedry we're accustomed to from leagues like this.

The one thing about this logo that does not reek of middle school kids using MS Paint and cheap clipart is the actual whale's tail. That's quite nicely rendered, and almost gets the W into the logo. Throw everything else away, tweak the whale tail a bit, particularly at the bottom where it needs a more dynamic terminus than a straight horizontal line, and you'd have an excellent primary logo.

Therefore, I believe that the whale's tail results from one of two phenomenon:

1. It's a complete ripoff of an existing logo done by professionals who know what they're doing; or

2. It's the one element of this logo that reflects original work by whoever was paid to design this thing, the rest of the logo being cobbled together by an idiot client who mistakenly believes he knows more about design than a colorblind eight-year-old and so micromanaged the logo design into the toilet.

Either way, it's the one strong element in what is otherwise one of the absolute worst logos I've ever seen. Not the ugliest logo ever, but just about the worst. (It's possible for a logo to be very ugly while still being at least technically competently designed and rendered; this is the opposite. A logo that isn't all that ugly, but just about everything that could be done wrong from a technical standpoint is done wrong. Which is why I have to conclude that it reflects the approach of someone completely untrained in design or marketing, whether that's the "designers" who made it or the client whom the designers had to please.)

20082614447.png

And why does the harpoon's line suddenly become a double line and then magically stop at the end of the tail?

Because the whale is throwing the harpoon. Otherwise the harpoon would be in the whale, and the line would flow away from it. In this logo, the reverse is the case -- meaning that in Danbury, a "whaler" is a cetacean who hunts humans. Kind of a Jaws IV scenario.

20082614447.png

Archived