Post Ranking

the_cynic

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a feature on this board that would put a white, blue, red, silver, or gold star next to your avatar depending on your total posts rank? That way you could tell the veterans from the rookies.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

We pretty much have it already. Every user, in their avatar, has a list for number of posts, as well as the date they joined the boards. As you can see, I'm new here but I like to talk a lot.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a feature on this board that would put a white, blue, red, silver, or gold star next to your avatar depending on your total posts rank? That way you could tell the veterans from the rookies.

ummmm.....no.

Just an idea.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

it wouldnt neccessarily decipher the vets from the rookies.

a rookies whose been here 2 months could go on a rampage and post 30 posts a day and get a lotta post counts. (which i was when i started)

i think u gotta earn the right to be a vet, alotta guys have been here a few years, me for example. i know there a lot more like STL, JQK, Tank, Syphi, etc that have been here prob 5 or more.

remember, when this whole thing started it was jsut about sports logo and concepts, now we have separte boards for request, tons on fantasy leagues, and a gen dicussion. goin from 1 board to about 20 is a lot

untitled-1.png

Besides, sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (Argh, this is, according to a google search, another oft-mangled quote that I can't seem to find a definitive source on, so that I don't mangle it in the meantime. Meh.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

You know, it could be a good idea if its used right. Maybe you need a certain amount of recommendations or something like that from fellow posters, and then an ok from Chris, and the rest of the mod crew. This wouldn't be something to show "HA IM BETTER THAN YOU", but more of a thing that you know these are veterens that have done some good concepts or just be a good addition to the board, and yea.....Just my thoughs on this.

I think this whole idea isn't that great at all. Who needs the stars or post ranks to determine where you are on this board. It is up to each of us to determine who we feel is a valued member of this board and which persons we respect the most. I think we should just leave it the way it is.

You know, it could be a good idea if its used right. Maybe you need a certain amount of recommendations or something like that from fellow posters, and then an ok from Chris, and the rest of the mod crew. This wouldn't be something to show "HA IM BETTER THAN YOU", but more of a thing that you know these are veterens that have done some good concepts or just be a good addition to the board, and yea.....Just my thoughs on this.

the fact remains that some people would take a 'holier than thou' attitude towards something like this.

There are many people here far more valuable to the board that have been here for 5 months as opposed to some people who have been here far longer. Using the stars means recognizing something that isn't directly realated to what matters: quality.

There are many people here far more valuable to the board that have been here for 5 months as opposed to some people who have been here far longer. Using the stars means recognizing something that isn't directly realated to what matters: quality.

Bingo.

And then there are people who have been around here a long time who don't post frequently, but when they do, it's usually high quality work or a thoughtful critique/suggestion/opinion.

It's too subjective to give "merit" based on quantity alone.

Vets or not, your input is all that matters. I've seen people who have been here for two weeks have more informative posts and better concepts than those who have been here for a while. Post counts mean nothing.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I really like this idea. True, quality is a lot better than quantity and I was just trying to identify a way to identity the true vets! Obviously my initial idea isn't a good one but to get recommendations from certain people could be good. Kind of a way to earn props around here.

Retired Number's To Come

Vets or not, your input is all that matters. I've seen people who have been here for two weeks have more informative posts and better concepts than those who have been here for a while. Post counts mean nothing.

exactly.

i can see arguements on this working and not working but i believe it wont. based on post counts is crap like i said before.

bosox actually has a good plan to have a sort of recomendations but still, some people may feel not included or sad that their fellow contributors didnt pick you. and if someone does boast about having a star or whatever would be rediculous but i doubt ne one will boast

untitled-1.png

I really like this idea. True, quality is a lot better than quantity and I was just trying to identify a way to identity the true vets! Obviously my initial idea isn't a good one but to get recommendations from certain people could be good. Kind of a way to earn props around here.

I really don't feel as though any of this is necessary to be honest. I think we all know who we value on this board and I don't think we need symbols to show it. I think it's a matter of individual opinion.

Everyone has value in this board. Each person had thier own talents and their own needs - which makes each person valuable to the board in a different way, and more importantly, each person has a different value in the eyes of the other individual members.

Whether someone has 1 post or 5,000 posts, they can come here and share an idea, contribute to a project, learn something, make a request or do whatever anyone else can do. When someone needs something, they don't approach the most seasoned posters, they approach us all, and we're all free to respond in our own way.

We all give something, we all take something away. There's no value in classifying people - it only limits them.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I thought there was already a rewards system in place to acknowledge veteran posters, that being the abliity to have messages under your avatars after 500 posts. I also agree that quality is more important then quantity, although neither really applys to me. Considering at my current posts-per-day average after this post (number 8) it will take me another 33 years 255 days until I reach the 500 post milestone, which I guess will give me time to make a site, a concept and an avatar.

dmr

Archived