2009-10 NFL off season thread

Saintsfan

Looks like Seattle signed a new QB for starter money, so I"m not sure they're in the McNabb market anymore, despite rumors. That sucks - looks like Seattle is out, Arizona may be out, the d-bag is likely coming back to Minnesota so they're out. Unless SF realizes they need a QB, we're hosed.

I think San Francisco is waiting to see what the Rams do with Marc Bulger.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think Jon Ryan chuckles a little when he sees the stories of how horrible the Packers punters have been since he left.

Packers new punter

I think this guy could be ok though if he can be consistent

I doubt he could handle the cold weather. I would wait and see if he makes it through June.

I saw, I came, I left.

Looks like Seattle signed a new QB for starter money, so I"m not sure they're in the McNabb market anymore, despite rumors. That sucks - looks like Seattle is out, Arizona may be out, the d-bag is likely coming back to Minnesota so they're out. Unless SF realizes they need a QB, we're hosed.

Hate to pick at a scab and everything, but maybe we are getting more and more evidence that there really isn't much of a McNabb market out there this year. Why trade for McNabb this year (of all years) when he may well be a free agent next year?

Thats not to say McNabb has to start for the Eagles, but my money is still firmly on the idea that McNabb ain't goin' anywhere.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It is looking more like he's coming back, and that the Eagles may have overvalued him (much like they have with Vick, though there's certainly still time to get something done there.) However, if you think McNabb will be anything other than a starter if he stays with the Eagles this year, then... well, I won't say it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It is looking more like he's coming back, and that the Eagles may have overvalued him (much like they have with Vick, though there's certainly still time to get something done there.) However, if you think McNabb will be anything other than a starter if he stays with the Eagles this year, then... well, I won't say it.

I am sure he would start, but I obviously have a higher estimation of McNabb than you do. Kolb might well be a very good QB, but he doesn't have the years of experience that McNabb has, and right now I would say he would be the best bet for the Eagles. Thats not to say that in a years time, it might be time to let him go and let Kolb take the reins.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

If and when the Eagles drop McNabb, the same thing will happen in Philadelphia that happens every time a team trades consistent success for "one missing piece" -- they get worse.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If and when the Eagles drop McNabb, the same thing will happen in Philadelphia that happens every time a team trades consistent success for "one missing piece" -- they get worse.

There has been complete roster turnover though. They're not going to be SB contenders with or without him (at least this year - 2011 may be a different story) so develop your future QB with the other young guys for a year, then make your run. McNabb can't win a SB. Kolb maybe can't win a SB. At least there's a maybe there. I'll take a maybe.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Charlie Whitehurst for Seattle's 2nd and 3rd round pick? Really? Charlie Whitehurst?blink.gif

This is confusing. A 2 year 10 mill deal? Really? WHY???????? Dudes never thrown a pass in the NFL.

I always thought Charlie Whitehurst had a chance to succeed in the NFL. So I think its a decent risk. But at the same time, you would think they'd be able to get him at a cheaper rate.

McNabb has to have the weirdest achievement-to-hate ratio since I don't even know when.

I think BBTV's point is that after a long period of consistent good play, the Eagles want a Superbowl win. But how many active QBs have won a superbowl? Not many! (Beyond Brady, both Mannings, Roethlisberger, Brees, Favre is there anyone else on that list? (I have a feeling I am missing someone else obvious!!)

Creating a Superbowl winning team is a very, very hard thing to do. I think if all you are going to accept is a Superbowl win, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

But then BBTV now says the 2010 Eagles aren't going to win the Superbowl, so why not continue with the veteran, check that the offensive line is up to its job, and if it isn't, well then at least you aren't throwing the young guy into a David Carr type situation where he takes too many shots and his confidence is spent.

(I do sometimes wonder for some Eagles fans, if his unpopularity doesn't have something to do with his skin color.)

(Note I am not at all suggesting this is the case with BBTV).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

McNabb has to have the weirdest achievement-to-hate ratio since I don't even know when.

But then BBTV now says the 2010 Eagles aren't going to win the Superbowl, so why not continue with the veteran, check that the offensive line is up to its job, and if it isn't, well then at least you aren't throwing the young guy into a David Carr type situation where he takes too many shots and his confidence is spent.

(I do sometimes wonder for some Eagles fans, if his unpopularity doesn't have something to do with his skin color.)

(Note I am not at all suggesting this is the case with BBTV).

1. My point is that he sucks. He throws up in key situations because he can't handle pressure, he throws screen passes at people's feet, he air-guitars and dances for the cameras right before playing like crap on national TV, he's just a joke.

2. You are an idiot if you think that "testing a line" is more important than getting the QB that you expect to lead your team deep in the playoffs in '11 a year of experience. The line is what it is. Using McNabb as a crash test dummy is the move of... well, a dummy.

3. Obviously there are people in every city that allow race to influence their opinions of certain players. That is not deniable. However, I could run down a list of white players that have been hated and "run out of town" too. It just so happens that McNabb is the quarterback, which is going to put him in the crosshairs more than any other player, since he is the most responsible for a team's successes or failures. Living here, I can say that overall it is not a race thing.

The Broncos kept John Elway after all that time, and it worked for them. Kind of the same situation with McNabb, right? The oft-maligned but highly skilled QB got a shot at redemption very late in his career.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Broncos kept John Elway after all that time, and it worked for them. Kind of the same situation with McNabb, right? The oft-maligned but highly skilled QB got a shot at redemption very late in his career.

I certainly didn't watch Elway as closely as I have McNabb, but I don't think that there was ever a question of Elway's leadership, decision making, or basic physical ability. Even before the SBs, wasn't Elway considered one of the greats, and a sure-fire HOFer? McNabb has proven that he's not a leader, makes poor decisions, doesn't have the ability to run anymore, and can't throw an accurate pass to save his life. Add that to the fact that he blames losses on the defense, special teams, and the "young guys", and you have a guy who is simply not a winner. He actually blamed his inability to run a 2-minute drill on the special teams. Unbelievable.

He's not the worst QB. He's not even a bad QB. I'm not crazy here. He's just not a winner, nor a guy who I feel will ever win a SB. Listening to his interviews after games has gotten painful. He needs a change of scenery, and the Eagles need a guy who can grow and develop with their new young core.

Imma have to back up Vet here. I'm about an hour and a half south of Philly, and even in the middle of Redskins land, there's an abundance of Eagles fans around here (there's also about as many Cowboys fans around here as there are 'Skins fans--but that's a different story). I often shoot the proverbial s**t with the Eagles fans in my organization here, and every single one of them share the same sentiment as Vet does. It absolutely cracks me up listening at some of the things that come out of these Eagles' fans' mouths about McNabb (to say nothing of the English language in general)...but one thing is astoundingly clear: they want his ass gone. And I, for one, don't blame them not a single iota.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Charlie Whitehurst for Seattle's 2nd and 3rd round pick? Really? Charlie Whitehurst?blink.gif

This is confusing. A 2 year 10 mill deal? Really? WHY???????? Dudes never thrown a pass in the NFL.

But that is the point. For Carrol and his staff, he is a clean slate. They can work with him as "their guy" while not paying the bonus that a 1st round pick will demand.

But that is the point. For Carrol and his staff, he is a clean slate. They can work with him as "their guy" while not paying the bonus that a 1st round pick will demand.

Plus, the guy wasn't exactly a scrub while at Clemson (I should know-check the second image in my sig), else the Chargers wouldn't have spent a 3rd-round pick on him in the first place.

Not that this adds anything to the discussion; just figured I'd mention that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I certainly didn't watch Elway as closely as I have McNabb, but I don't think that there was ever a question of Elway's leadership, decision making, or basic physical ability. Even before the SBs, wasn't Elway considered one of the greats, and a sure-fire HOFer? McNabb has proven that he's not a leader, makes poor decisions, doesn't have the ability to run anymore, and can't throw an accurate pass to save his life. Add that to the fact that he blames losses on the defense, special teams, and the "young guys", and you have a guy who is simply not a winner. He actually blamed his inability to run a 2-minute drill on the special teams. Unbelievable.

He's not the worst QB. He's not even a bad QB. I'm not crazy here. He's just not a winner, nor a guy who I feel will ever win a SB. Listening to his interviews after games has gotten painful. He needs a change of scenery, and the Eagles need a guy who can grow and develop with their new young core.

For years, I thought McNabb would put it all together one year and the Eagles would win the Super Bowl. But year after year the Eagles have enough success to keep people employed, but just can't get over the hump. And McNabb's turned out to be one of those "it's always something" guys. The specific reasons for their failure differ but it's always something and they can't overcome it. I can understand people getting tired of this hamster on a wheel feeling and wondering whether he's the problem. To me you have to ask yourself, if you plugged McNabb in on say the Vikings last year do they get as far as they did? My guess is no but it's all subjective.

But...I'm still simply astounded that a starting NFL QB with many years in the league would 1) not know a game can end in a tie and 2) admit as much on national TV. Seriously...we FANS know that and a professional player doesn't? :blink:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived