The New York Jets

rentz

Hey. With the Jets' utterly unexpected run to the AFC championship I was inspired to revisit an old concept of mine. Having watched the Jets a couple of times the last few weeks a few things have been bothering me about their look. The hunter green, while not a bad color, just doesn't look as good as kelly green. Kelly green is one of my favorite colors, and of the green teams in the NFL nobody uses it. Philly has midnight green which is unique but the Jets' green is very close to the Packers'. The sleeve stripes suffer from the Colts effect, and just look weird. I know a lot of people like it, but the Jets' logo just seems poorly designed to me, and it doesn't really represent Jets at all. So this is my attempt to fix their identity.

I brought back the Jet logo I used last time... I know airplane imagery is a bit taboo, considering it's New York, but this is just a concept. The wordmark is an update of their 80s and 90s logo. I made an alternate logo that alludes to the current one they use but fits with the rest of the identity. You'll see that kelly green is the primary color, but I've kept hunter green because I think it looks good against the kelly and isn't as harsh as black.

jetsls1-1.png

The helmet has the new logo, because I thought it looked the best from all the options. I tried to modernized the sleeve stripe/shoulder. That's kind of the Jets' thing, in terms of uniform design, so I wanted to keep it but I changed it so it would work better with modern jersey cuts. The number font is new, I wanted something sleeker to suggest Jets more than block. The helmet and pants stripe have a new stripe; I wanted it to be similar to the double stripe they have now. Basically the design is about evolution, while it's very modern it still retains most of the elements of the previous set so it's not a Falcons/Cardinals/Vikings overhaul.

jetsunis1.png

These are just the alternates with green pants. I don't like the mono green but the white with green pants looks pretty good.

jetsunis2.png

C+C welcome. dgnmrwrw, I borrowed your presentation (Revolution helmets with andrew harrington's template) because I thought it looked good in your thread, so I hope you don't mind.

its a good logo, but do you not reckon the jets might want to steer clear of a commercial airline jet as a symbol of the city given certain past events.

i was always a fan of the other logo they used. i reckon its not all that bad green on white. if you were to use an image of a jet, i would use a fighter of some sort.

seems more apt as a sports logo also.

jets.png

The only way the Jets works with an airliner is if the NY Giants changed their helmet logos to the twin towers. But I still get cheesed that the Jets and Giants are called "New York" when they play in New Jersey. Garble garble garble marbles checkers chedder chipmunks raccoons corn on the cob corn bread audrey hepburn spoons.

I see no reason the Jets couldn't use a jet (or any kind of airplane) as their primary logo. We have teams in California here named after tsunamis, earthquakes and other natural disasters. Maybe it's not the best idea, but honestly, it's a jet. Cars can be used to cause destruction, too...

Anyway, I actually really like this concept. I've always felt the Jets should have some kind of airplane-related logo, and I like that you modernized that 1978-1997 wordmark a bit.

Thanks for the comments. I know that the Jets will likely never use an airplane logo beyond one where the airplane is as abstract as a triangle. But as I said in the original post this is a concept. If the Jets were from just about any other city it wouldn't be a problem. I mean Hurricanes are very destructive to Miami on a regular basis and they still name the college team after them.

But, if the Jets were to hypothetically adopt this identity, one of these is what I'd imagine the helmet would be.

jetshelmets.png

Just to add some weight to your original comment:

Kelly green is one of my favorite colors, and of the green teams in the NFL nobody uses it. Philly has midnight green which is unique but the Jets' green is very close to the Packers'.

Not "very close." Exact. The Jets and Packers use the exact same shade of green. All the more reason to move the Jets back to kelly green.

its a good logo, but do you not reckon the jets might want to steer clear of a commercial airline jet as a symbol of the city given certain past events.

Nope. Maybe eight years ago that was the case, but even then I'm not sure.

there isnt a marketing dept in the world that would put an airliner on an ny helmet.

Why, what happened?

oh, god I hope this is sarcasm. I really do

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Why, what happened?

Two planes were flown into two buildings in New York City. Thousands of people were killed.

there isnt a marketing dept in the world that would put an airliner on an ny helmet.

And that's why marketing departments shouldn't be trusted with decisions of any consequence. There isn't a football fan in New York who would blink if they did.

Our skies are crowded with planes. They don't have but a single association, no matter how terrible it was.

Besides, we have a new association with aircraft in our fair city:

chesley_sully_sullenberger_new_york_magazine_cover_february_2009.jpg

Planes = heroes. Not too bad.

I think the party-line when it comes to teams/logos that refer to "destructive" things is that natural disasters (Avalanche, Hurricanes, etc.) are ok but things that created/done by people are not. That's why the XFL's Birmingham Blast (which could've referred to a tragic church bombing in the 60s) became the Birmingham Bolts despite the fact that people are killed by lightning every year. (Not that I doubt what Gothamite is saying either)

That said... I don't like the actual jet on the helmet though because it looks way too busy and cluttered. I say go with the wordmark or oval on the side of the helmet, but make the helmet stipe something like what the Broncos use with that "jet serif" at the tip. That's a much classier way of putting a jet on a helmet IMHO.

And that's why marketing departments shouldn't be trusted with decisions of any consequence. There isn't a football fan in New York who would blink if they did.

Our skies are crowded with planes. They don't have but a single association, no matter how terrible it was.

Besides, we have a new association with aircraft in our fair city:

Planes = heroes. Not too bad.

so do we make associations or not? you cant argue that passenger jets + new york does not equal september 11th in the mind of the populus and simultaneously argue that it equals 'heroes'.

much as i tend to tend to agree that marketing depts havnt benefited the world in any sense, the original point was that they are in fact taken seriously and in this case i would tend to agree.

anyway this is all aside from the main issue that passenger liners arent really all that inspiring as mascots.

Archived