NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

Does anyone know if Nashville or Buffalo will be wearing their alternate jerseys in the playoffs since their new sets will be based on them?

Buffalo's wearing the 3rds, as is Los Angeles. Don't know about Nashville, but since it would make sense for them to wear them, probably not.

Love your avatar, by the way. The best summary of the aesthetic cluster that is the Vancouver Canucks I've ever seen.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I hope the new road jersey looks exactly like that (noticed they also dropped the side piping and armpit stains). Knowing the Sabres' ability to wreck uniforms though, I'll be worried until the actual unveiling.

They? I'm the one who made it. ;)

My mistake. You did an awesome job there. I'd love to believe the Sabres will be smart enough to keep it simple and do what you did, but they usually find ways to go too far and clutter things up.

Yep, the current alternates will be the home sweaters next season with matching whites for the road.

Do you know this for sure? I'm still holding out hope that they'll tweak the current thirds to remove the side piping and the yellow blotches in the armpits.

I mean, seriously, yellow spots in the armpits? We needed pit stains added to our "throwback" jerseys? Will the new white road versions also have pit stains? Is there any dumb idea that Reebok could float that the Sabres and Larry Quinn wouldn't embrace with both arms?

Yep, the current alternates will be the home sweaters next season with matching whites for the road.

Do you know this for sure? I'm still holding out hope that they'll tweak the current thirds to remove the side piping and the yellow blotches in the armpits.

I mean, seriously, yellow spots in the armpits? We needed pit stains added to our "throwback" jerseys? Will the new white road versions also have pit stains? Is there any dumb idea that Reebok could float that the Sabres and Larry Quinn wouldn't embrace with both arms?

Yeah, pretty sure.

Now I don't mind all the stuff you mentioned, actually. They aren't designed to be throwbacks, but rather updated versions of the old look. In that regard, I think they work. They aren't perfect, but they're pretty close.

Yeah, pretty sure.

Now I don't mind all the stuff you mentioned, actually. They aren't designed to be throwbacks, but rather updated versions of the old look. In that regard, I think they work. They aren't perfect, but they're pretty close.

I was hoping you were one of the people on the board who actually gets to see these things months before the rest of us do.

I don't know if they're supposed to be "throwbacks" or "faux-backs" or whatever. They are very nice, especially compared to the banana slug look. I wish they were the new blue and gold sweaters that were introduced in 2006.

My only tweaks would be removing the side piping and armpit stains and adding the "B with sword" alternate logo to the shoulders (as a lasting vestige of their black and red decade). I also think they got carried away when they outlined EVERYTHING in the classic logo in silver. For crying out loud, they put silver outlines around the two lines around the charging buffalo! If they wanted to introduce silver to the old logo, why not leave the buffalo alone and just make the blades of the crossed sabres silver? And maybe toss a silver outline around the entire logo.

It's sort of amazing all the weird decisions the Sabres have made with their logo and uniforms that the uniform savvy people on this board would have know to avoid.

Yeah, pretty sure.

I was hoping you were one of the people on the board who actually gets to see these things months before the rest of us do.

I don't know if they're supposed to be "throwbacks" or "faux-backs" or whatever. They are very nice, especially compared to the banana slug look. I wish they were the new blue and gold sweaters that were introduced in 2006.

My only tweaks would be removing the side piping and armpit stains and adding the "B with sword" alternate logo to the shoulders (as a lasting vestige of their black and red decade). I also think they got carried away when they outlined EVERYTHING in the classic logo in silver. For crying out loud, they put silver outlines around the two lines around the charging buffalo! If they wanted to introduce silver to the old logo, why not leave the buffalo alone and just make the blades of the crossed sabres silver? And maybe toss a silver outline around the entire logo.

It's sort of amazing all the weird decisions the Sabres have made with their logo and uniforms that the uniform savvy people on this board would have know to avoid.

Nah, but the rumours have been going strong since they introduced them. I doubt we'll see any changes to the alt design. I agree, the changes you're suggesting would be improvements, but I just don't see them making them. All things considered though, the alternatives are so much worse (BuffaSlug) that even with their faults the modernized throwbacks are a welcome change.

I'm likely in the minority, but I really really hope Buffalo keeps the alternate jersey the same for next year. It's a perfect match of present and past. They'll have an alternate jersey that they can go all bland and boring on.

mav23.gif

Yeah, pretty sure.

I agree with everything you said. The updated "B sword" shoulder patches were the only thing the Sabres got right on the Slug Jerseys and they would look perfectly at home on the Alt. Overall the "faux-back's" look nice but theres no getting around how ridiculously out of place that piping is, especially with on a jersey with so many stripes. While were at the silver stripes on the Hem and Sleeves aren't helping matters either.

Yeah, pretty sure.

I agree with everything you said. The updated "B sword" shoulder patches were the only thing the Sabres got right on the Slug Jerseys and they would look perfectly at home on the Alt. Overall the "faux-back's" look nice but theres no getting around how ridiculously out of place that piping is, especially with on a jersey with so many stripes. While were at the silver stripes on the Hem and Sleeves aren't helping matters either.

I disagree, actually. I know it sounds cliched to assume that darkening the blue and adding silver is an "update," but I really think it works in the case of the Sabres. The navy and silver really have, in my opinion, helped update the old Sabres look. The classic throwback look is nice enough, but it is incredibly dated. The alternates/soon to be primaries really fix a lot of the problems the old set had.

Yeah, pretty sure.

I disagree, actually. I know it sounds cliched to assume that darkening the blue and adding silver is an "update," but I really think it works in the case of the Sabres. The navy and silver really have, in my opinion, helped update the old Sabres look. The classic throwback look is nice enough, but it is incredibly dated. The alternates/soon to be primaries really fix a lot of the problems the old set had.

Darkening the Blue and added Silver to the logo was a great move. What I was referring to was the silver on the the stripes. It doesnt really seem necessary and bleeds with the yellow at a distance. The new logo and colours are great, I was just referring to some of the striping choices

I don't like the navy, the silver, or the armpits. Conceivably, the Sabres could've worn their 1970 uniforms right into the present without making a move. Anything they've done since 1996 was unnecessary.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, pretty sure.

Darkening the Blue and added Silver to the logo was a great move. What I was referring to was the silver on the the stripes. It doesnt really seem necessary and bleeds with the yellow at a distance. The new logo and colours are great, I was just referring to some of the striping choices

All the news I'm finding and hearing locally is this: Yes, the Sabres will ditch the slug crest and go with the current thirds as the full time home jersey, along with creating a similar road jersey to match (in fact, they are not wearing the slug at home at all for this years playoffs). BUT, IN ADDITION, they are also creating a brand new third jersey. From what I'm reading, the front of the jersey is going to have the word "Buffalo" stylized across the front (which, I imagine, is going to look a lot like Minnesota's thirds). There is an "artist rendering" of what the third may look like here: http://www.wben.com/Sabres--New-Third-Jersey-/6658272

I don't like the navy, the silver, or the armpits. Conceivably, the Sabres could've worn their 1970 uniforms right into the present without making a move. Anything they've done since 1996 was unnecessary.

I agree with you about 'angry-goat-head' years, but I'll admit I really liked the red thirds they wore at the time (with the crossed sabres). Then, I accepted the slug jerseys because I was just ecstatic that they went back to blue & gold.

All that being said, I LOVE the new thirds (soon to be regular homes), armpits, piping and all! It's a good spin on past and present.

Here's my opinion of what would look best for the Sabres' road whites next season (minus logos & numbers):

201011sabrespotential3r.png

That would be one classy-looking sweater.

That said, I hope they keep the B-sword logos on the shoulder . . . . apart from the original logo, that's one of the best logos they've ever had.

Here's my opinion of what would look best for the Sabres' road whites next season (minus logos & numbers):

201011sabrespotential3r.png

That would be one classy-looking sweater.

That said, I hope they keep the B-sword logos on the shoulder . . . . apart from the original logo, that's one of the best logos they've ever had.

Looking at the historical uniform, and what they've done with the 3rd, i'm looking for something like this to pop up...

8b163cb2.png

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived