Colorado Buffaloes Football in 2010

BupsJones

Maybe I am missing something because I didn't read anything there that said throwbacks. Just that they are bringing guys back. I think they'll throwback Hawkins after next season's collapse.

Athletic director Mike Bohn said the athletic department is working with Nike to present each member of the 1990 team with a commemorative jersey and the 2010 Buffs will likely wear 1990 throwback uniforms throughout next season.

Commemorative Jerseys a nod to CU's title team

By Tom Kensler

The Denver Post

Posted: 02/05/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Colorado will honor its 1990 national championship football team during the Oct. 2 home game against Georgia as part of a 20-year reunion weekend, and special commemorative "throwback" jerseys are planned for the 1990 team and for the current team.

The announcement was made Thursday by former Colorado coach Bill McCartney, a guest speaker during the annual CU recruiting review luncheon for boosters and supporters at a downtown Denver hotel. McCartney coached the 1990 Buffaloes to an 11-1-1 record, including a 10-9 victory over Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn said the 2010 Buffs could wear the commemorative jerseys for the game against Georgia, and perhaps for other games.

Colorado running backs coach Darian Hagan was a star quarterback during that 1990 run to the program's only national championship.

"It's going to mean a lot to have all of those guys back," Hagan said. "It will be great for our guys to be able to meet them and understand where I am coming from when I talk about those guys."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14337302#ixzz0eiM7cfXU

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Put me down as a fan of the last few CU designs - especially the split-numbers ones.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 5 months later...

...a "National Championship" that needed a 5th down to happen...

Almost every year, there's one play that a National Championship team got "lucky" on that allowed their run to continue. Nebraska got the ball off the Mizzou player's foot to win in 97, Tennessee needed Clint Stoerner to lay the ball on the turf against Arkansas in 98, even Alabama needed two blocked field goals to beat Tennessee last season. Ask a fan of any team that won a national title in the last decade and they'll probably admit that there was one or two close plays at some point in the season that went their way that opened the door to continue a run to a title.

Archived