Decorating NHL Helmets?

Dedalvs

Can we please get this thread back on topic? That is, arguing about annoying and miniscule grammer points? We haven't decided who (whom?) is the biggest jackass yet.

It's "grammar"!!!!!! G-R-A-M-M-A-R. There is no "e" in the word!!!!!11111

Is this better?

Yeah, see, now I'M the biggest jackass! Whoooooo!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I breathlessly await the latest salvo in this fight.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I've actually

been extremely entertained by

this thread, and hope it says open for a

long time. For the record, technicalities aside, the op wasn't that bad. I'm as big a dick as anyone (is a, not has a) and I wouldn't have said anything.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My things with the NHL helmet are...

1. Size. There's really no room.

2. Shape. Would distort designs.

3. The jersey crest. The logos are huge. Football has numbers there, hockey has a logo there. It could get redundant.

KISSwall09.jpg

While football helmets are essentially a flat round shell, hockey helmets are covered in ridges. It's easy to put down a stripe on a football helmet because each one is going to be the same- each one will be a flat round shell. But hockey helmets, in addition to being "bumpy" (for lack of a better word), are also unique in their bumpiness. Different models have the air vents in different places, and helmets that are adjustable in size will be shaped differently than those that aren't. All of these combine to make it really difficult to decorate a hockey helmet with anything but small logos on the side.

I see what you mean here, though as Michigan has shown, it's possible. I guess what I wonder is why more teams don't do something like Michigan. The Michigan...yellow thing (what the hell is it?) is large and not very intricate, so it can work on a surface that isn't even. A team like the Calgary Flames could have some nice big flames on the side of their helmet, and any team could incorporate some stripes.

The first place I noticed the effect of this bumpiness, though, was actually the NFL. I don't know when precisely it started, but there are now several different helmet shapes, such as those below:

buffalo-bills-authentic-pro-line-revolution-full-size-riddell-helmet.jpg

Drat. I can't seem to find an image of the other one... It's ridged, and has an odd curved region around the ear. Almost looks like the front of a car.

Anyway, I noticed with these new helmets that the original designs are disrupted. If these were going to be the new NFL helmets (i.e. they're slowly being phased in), I think the designs should be modified to incorporate the ridge--or at least large enough that they're not distorted by it.

While NFL teams wear the same helmet for every game (remember the league nixing the Texans' plan, I think it was, to have two helmets), NHL teams have home helmets and away helmets. They're not really "iconic" parts of the uniform, and the point behind having two helmets is to help distinguish between teams on the ice. Stripes might ruin the effect.

The home and away helmets (at least in the picture you linked to) are actually designed the same; only the colors are different. So with the Devils' helmet, the home helmet is black with white lettering, and the away helmet is the opposite.

Oh, but I see what you're saying... If there was a big (presumably invariant) design on the helmet, you couldn't easily change it to reflect the home and away jerseys. A fair point.

Can we please get this thread back on topic? That is, arguing about annoying and miniscule grammer points? We haven't decided who (whom?) is the biggest jackass yet.

And, just for fun, this is from The Office re. who vs. whom (sorry I couldn't find a video; just a transcript).

And I too hope we can get back to ordinary forum interaction. There hasn't even been one instance yet of "lol", "omg" or "wtf"!

The artwork on the Michigan helmets is called a "Winged Helmet" It was delevoped by Fritz Chrysler when he was the head football coach at Princeton in the 1930's. He brought the helmet design to Michigan when he became their coach...The rest is history!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

The artwork on the Michigan helmets is called a "Winged Helmet" It was delevoped by Fritz Chrysler when he was the head football coach at Princeton in the 1930's. He brought the helmet design to Michigan when he became their coach...The rest is history!

1. Since we're correcting errors in this thread, it's Fritz Crisler.

2. Some NHL teams put their wordmark or logos on the helmet:

lidstrom-1.jpg

17573_255046402892_520467892_3472789_7569643_n.jpg

spikes.jpg

I think every NHL team puts something on there, it's just not very prominent. I love that Red Wings wordmark and I'm glad they use it there. When I was little I thought it'd be a good idea to put wordmarks behind the goal lines like football endzones, but I suppose it would be extraneous clutter.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When I try to envision what could happen if a major change is made to a uniform (in this case major logos on hockey helmets) I don't envision the good as much as the bad. In this case it would open the door for a number of already poor hockey logos and identities to move onto the helmet. That's why I would opt to leave it the way it is and just forget about it.

1. Since we're correcting errors in this thread, it's Fritz Crisler.

Thanks Dave, that's what I get for using a spellcheck program before posting. :P

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

I've never understood why the NHL does the "white helmet at home" bit. I know a lot of college teams just use one helmet.

Because white helmets look better with white sweaters and socks. Also, it supposedly helps officials sort out scrums when the teams are wearing different helmets. If everyone is wearing a black helmet, I guess it can get kinda messy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've never understood why the NHL does the "white helmet at home" bit. I know a lot of college teams just use one helmet. Match the helmet color to the pants, and just go with that.

The Avalanche wore black helmets at home for the first few home games of the 96 season, I believe. Looked ridiculous.

2716873494_54a0fbf4d7_o.png

09F.jpg

05F.jpg

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Another problem I thought of... check out these photos.

While NFL teams wear the same helmet for every game (remember the league nixing the Texans' plan, I think it was, to have two helmets), NHL teams have home helmets and away helmets. They're not really "iconic" parts of the uniform, and the point behind having two helmets is to help distinguish between teams on the ice. Stripes might ruin the effect.

NFL teams are starting to have more then one helmet. The Bills use two helmets now, the normal red and the white helmet when they wear their throwbacks, which is usually 3 times a year.

n0fd1z6xmhigb0eej3323ebwq.gifi40oxcdbo7xtfamqqhqachoyo.gif

Archived