2009-10 NHL Season Part 2

NEW.ERA

Geez, a 5-2 loss against Columbus? I'm a faithful Duck through and through, but this is getting ridiculous. Hiller has some inconsistencies, but when defense AND offense can't get the job done against the Blue Jackets, I don't know what to think. There's still time for these guys to pick it up and turn things around, but they're going to need to go on a big streak. But, the way they've been playing since the end of the Olympics is frustrating. I'm hoping there's a few roster and management shake-ups after this season. Thanks for the Cup in '07, but I think Carlyle's time is up...

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez, a 5-2 loss against Columbus? I'm a faithful Duck through and through, but this is getting ridiculous. Hiller has some inconsistencies, but when defense AND offense can't get the job done against the Blue Jackets, I don't know what to think. There's still time for these guys to pick it up and turn things around, but they're going to need to go on a big streak. But, the way they've been playing since the end of the Olympics is frustrating. I'm hoping there's a few roster and management shake-ups after this season. Thanks for the Cup in '07, but I think Carlyle's time is up...

Agreed.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Teams make way too many coaching changes and they usually do it out of panic. Carlyle's a good coach, he was in Manitoba and he is in Anaheim.

Canucks come back from a 3-0 deficit to win 6-4 against the Avalanche for their tenth come from behind win. Hopefully when they get back home they can start playing with a lead and Luongo will have good first periods.

Hey, can people stop ripping our defense? Some nights it's off, just like other teams'.

Now, allowing 5 goals to the Jackets, that's embarrassing.

6fQjS3M.png

Teams make way too many coaching changes and they usually do it out of panic. Carlyle's a good coach, he was in Manitoba and he is in Anaheim.

Canucks come back from a 3-0 deficit to win 6-4 against the Avalanche for their tenth come from behind win. Hopefully when they get back home they can start playing with a lead and Luongo will have good first periods.

I agree. Many teams have done this in the past and there is either good or bad that comes from it. But, I've seen so many inconsistencies with him in the past three seasons since '07. And I'll admit, not all of Anaheim's lack luster play is his doing. Many of our guys on defense, including offense are not keeping up. They're looking tired and playing unmotivated. I expected after the break for them to come out hot. Unfortunately, I am still yet to see any fire; nor do I think there will be much down the stretch.

But, I will say one thing, Anaheim most definitely needs a new goaltending coach. We lost a lot when Allaire left for Toronto with Burke. Hiller still needs to be polished and he needs someone that can work with him to repair some loose ends. I've got hope for the kid, though. He played amazing last year in the post-season.

Hey, can people stop ripping our defense? Some nights it's off, just like other teams'.

I didn't say anything about the Jackets' defense. And no offense was aimed towards them as a whole. However, what I was trying to say is that Anaheim has a team to get the job done. Problem is, we're not doing so, and something's got to give. And when we suffer a loss to Columbus, who are slightly behind us, it makes things worse.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Matt Cooke will not be suspended.

Let the anger or love rain.

Colin Campbell compares this to the Richards hit on Booth.

"Philadelphia's Mike Richards was not suspended for a similar hit on Florida's David Booth, so Cooke was not disciplined either."

I don't understand this. The GM's are working all this week to help get rid of these hits and yet Cooke doesn't even walk a way with a one game suspension at the least and he is a past offender Richards was not.

Here's a fun note.

The Pens will be in Boston on March 18th. Oh I can't wait to see the highlights from that one.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I didn't say anything about the Jackets' defense. And no offense was aimed towards them as a whole. However, what I was trying to say is that Anaheim has a team to get the job done. Problem is, we're not doing so, and something's got to give. And when we suffer a loss to Columbus, who are slightly behind us, it makes things worse.

Alright, just the way you mentioned it the "against the Blue Jackets" kind of made it sound like you were directing the comment towards the CBJ defense. But yeah, when you lose 5-2 to the Jackets, you're in trouble.

6fQjS3M.png

"Philadelphia's Mike Richards was not suspended for a similar hit on Florida's David Booth, so Cooke was not disciplined either."

I don't understand this. The GM's are working all this week to help get rid of these hits and yet Cooke doesn't even walk a way with a one game suspension at the least and he is a past offender Richards was not.

Here's a fun note.

The Pens will be in Boston on March 18th. Oh I can't wait to see the highlights from that one.

Cooke was not suspended because as of today head shots are not against the rules.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Here's a fun note.

Cooke was not suspended because as of today head shots are not against the rules.

True but if the NHL really wants to get rid of these hits they could have made Matt Cooke the first example of the end of head shots.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

True but if the NHL really wants to get rid of these hits they could have made Matt Cooke the first example of the end of head shots.

No, they really can't. You can't make up a rule after someone does it. Just like in baseball where people did steroids or whatever that weren't banned at the time.

1zgyd8w.jpg

No, they really can't. You can't make up a rule after someone does it. Just like in baseball where people did steroids or whatever that weren't banned at the time.

Can't the NHL have Cooke pay for Savard's medical expenses? :upside:

You haven't watched this years Bruins if you think anything other than a Thornton/Cooke fight happens. They aren't that kind of team.

Sure you can... remember Sean Avery screening Brodeur?

I saw, I came, I left.

Yeah, but that wasn't enacted until after the season, right? Same with the NFL's horse-collar crackdown. I don't like the idea of changing or "clarifying" (when we know what that really means) rules as you go along.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, but that wasn't enacted until after the season, right? Same with the NFL's horse-collar crackdown. I don't like the idea of changing or "clarifying" (when we know what that really means) rules as you go along.

The "Sean Avery Rule" was enacted two days after Game 3.

You haven't watched this years Bruins if you think anything other than a Thornton/Cooke fight happens. They aren't that kind of team.

Cooke doesn't fight anyway. He's not into showing backbone.

The NHL certainly could have suspended him for deliberate intent to injure, and given him 6 or 8 games. Always doing this wishy-washy BS is just one of the many reasons that the NHL stewardship is a joke.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

All of this is an understatement in my eyes haha.

I'm just as loyal of a Ducks fans as you'll find, but it's getting tough to sit there and watch this junk.

Carlyle needs to be gone. I don't care that he was a good coach in Manitoba or any of that. But he's only been really good in the first two years in Anaheim. Yes the Ducks have made the playoffs in 4 straight seasons including 2 WCF appeances, but besides the 2006-07 Stanley Cup season, each year has followed the same pattern. Slow sometime terribly slow start, pick it up to stay afloat, take another dip, then go on a great run and get into the playoffs. And this year the explosive run came a little early and they've gone in the tank after the break.

The team personnel has changed on him, yes, but he hasn't changed to fit the players he's been given. He constantly line juggles during games, showing that whatever he's doing isn't working during the game. The defense has failed him (partly due to changes on the blueline, but still ineffective). The system consists of purely dump and chase hockey. This worked when they won the Cup because of the physical forecheck, strong defense, and great goalie play. Now its, dump, chase, lose the puck. And even when they do get a lead of 2 or more goals, they coached to sit back and play defense and take the foot off the gas. I can't remember a game they won recently in which they weren't outshot because of this.

The first two years, Carlyle was fine and worked well. But watching these Ducks every day for the last 3 years, it's become painfully obvious that Carlyle is the problem. He has worn out his welcome. On the ice and off the ice and in the locker room. His effectiveness is done.

Also, I wouldn't be terribly sorry to see the GM Bob Murray dumped either. Yeah he made some good moves, and the "rebuilding on the fly" worked initially but fizzled out. Since he took over when Burke left for Toronto, there are only 8 players remaining from when he inherited the team on November 12, 2008. Getzlaf, Perry, Hiller, Marchant, Parros, Carter, Selanne, Niedermayer. Selanne and Nidermayer will most likely be gone, and Parros and Carter are in and out of the lineup on an irregular basis. So 4 players of 20, maybe 5 if you include the call-up of Bobby Ryan after Beauchemin's injury about 2 weeks after he took over, that actually contribute are still here and two thate kinda don't. So after this season he will have changed out 15-16 players on this roster with not so great results (besides the miracle run into the playoffs last year, an upset of the Shark choke, and a Game 7 loss in Detroit). He is the one putting together the team, but I don't know what the hell his vision is. With Burke, we clearly knew what was going to be put on ice and what he expected. We hardly hear from Murray, and his comments are widely ambiguous at times. I don't know what kind of team he is trying to assemble, I know it's not a Burke team.

In short, Carlyle will be gone. It's beyond obvious. They won't do it now, though. That'd be pointless at this juncture. It will come after the season. And truthfully, I wouldn't be terribly sorry to see Murray gone either. I'd like to give Murray more of a chance, but I haven't seen too much of him that screams at me to keep along with Carlyle.

Carlyle - Out

Murray - possibly should be out, but willing to keep the chance on him.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Why? They have a bunch of crappy ex-Flames (or ex-crappy Flames, more accurately) like Aucoin and Vandermeer, and it feels like rooting for the house. It is rooting for the house. Who wants to see league commissioner Gary Bettman present the Stanley Cup to team owner Gary Bettman? But hey, look at it this way: if you start rooting for the Coyotes like right now, you'll have been following them longer than 98% of metropolitan Phoenix. If you wait till four games before the regular season ends rather than, say, five, then you're just a bandwagon fan to them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived