2009-10 NHL Season Part 2

NEW.ERA

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Richards did the same thing and didn't get suspended.

But he's Mike Richards, not Matt Cooke.

Exactly.

In the justice system, repeat offenders get stiffer sentances than first time offenders, it's exactly what should happen.

1zqy8ok.gif

I know nobody is going to take what i say seriously being that im defending a penguin

Correct.

Ok. Never stand up for the hometown guy under any circumstances because youre automatically being a homer. No matter what.

Got it.

When I see hits like this, from anyone, I always think 'accident' before i think 'cheap shot'. I give the benefit of the doubt to the hitter. I'm obviously in the vast minority.

I wasnt saying he shouldnt be suspended. Yes, he is a dirty player. Yes this isnt the first time. And whether it was accidental or not, he should be suspended, because if you let him go you have to let everyone go. I understand that and am not arguing that. What im arguing is the notion that every time this happens is that it is on purpose.

You can see afterwards that Cooke is obviously shaken at what he had just done.

Wasn't that "obvious" to me....

What do you want him to do? Break down and cry on the ice? Beg for forgiveness on his knees? Look at the guy's face. He didnt move from where he was standing for a long, long time.

oBIgzrL.png

Exactly.

In the justice system, repeat offenders get stiffer sentances than first time offenders, it's exactly what should happen.

Yeah, except the NHL is incredibly inconsistent when it comes to punishing repeat offenders, and is even worse when it comes to giving people passes for terrible hits just because it's "not like them" or something. Look how long they let Ovechkin get away with taking runs at people until they had to suspend him--because certain players will always get a pass and others get the hammer right away.

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/11/nhl-suspensions.html

1zgyd8w.jpg

What do you want him to do? Break down and cry on the ice? Beg for forgiveness on his knees? Look at the guy's face. He didnt move from where he was standing for a long, long time.

I really want him to do the hokey-pokey.

I saw, I came, I left.

I know nobody is going to take what i say seriously being that im defending a penguin

Correct.

Ok. Never stand up for the hometown guy under any circumstances because youre automatically being a homer. No matter what.

Got it.

When I see hits like this, from anyone, I always think 'accident' before i think 'cheap shot'. I give the benefit of the doubt to the hitter. I'm obviously in the vast minority.

I wasnt saying he shouldnt be suspended. Yes, he is a dirty player. Yes this isnt the first time. And whether it was accidental or not, he should be suspended, because if you let him go you have to let everyone go. I understand that and am not arguing that. What im arguing is the notion that every time this happens is that it is on purpose.

It's fine he feels bad afterward. I think what we are all saying is that he has done this before and perhaps he should think before he does it as opposed to waiting until after to reflect on the consequences of his actions.

Matt Cooke is nothing but a piece of garbage hockey player. Always has been, always will be. They should throw the book at him, but since he didnt lead with the elbow they probably wont. Typical.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Cooke is a dirty player. I'm a Canucks fan, and I'd gotten to the point with him where I was thrilled when they got rid of them for next to nothing because I was sick of his bull :censored: play style. Alex Burrows may be an annoying little bastard, but at least he'll stand and fight from time to time.

That said, shoulder to head hits are not against current NHL rules, so any suspension would essentially be just because Savard got hurt. Savard shakes it off and isn't carted off on a stretcher, the league doesn't even look at it. I think we all know this league is being run by dinosaurs with little vision, and certainly not enough balls to take a strong stand on headshots.

What baffles me is where the NHLPA is on this issue, I know the organization is a basket-case, but I've always been shocked at how little the NHLPA seems to care about protecting the health of it's members.

Hats off to Marty Turco for stopping 49 of 52 shots in regulation and 4 of 5 shots in the shootout against the Caps tonight for the win.

Gotta be the #1 star.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Exactly.

Yeah, except the NHL is incredibly inconsistent when it comes to punishing repeat offenders, and is even worse when it comes to giving people passes for terrible hits just because it's "not like them" or something. Look how long they let Ovechkin get away with taking runs at people until they had to suspend him--because certain players will always get a pass and others get the hammer right away.

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2009/11/nhl-suspensions.html

Case in point, Malkin gets an instigator in the last 5 mins of a (Stanley Cup Final) game, a rule that carries am AUTOMATIC 1 game suspension. Does he get suspended? Nope. If it wasnt Evgeni Malkin would he have been suspended? Yep. Call me a homer, I dont care, the league is out to protect their stars. Its a sport where penalties are given for having a certain name on the back of the jersey, not on the actions. And as long as these assclowns are in charge, it wont change.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Case in point, Malkin gets an instigator in the last 5 mins of a (Stanley Cup Final) game, a rule that carries am AUTOMATIC 1 game suspension. Does he get suspended? Nope. If it wasnt Evgeni Malkin would he have been suspended? Yep. Call me a homer, I dont care, the league is out to protect their stars. Its a sport where penalties are given for having a certain name on the back of the jersey, not on the actions. And as long as these assclowns are in charge, it wont change.

suspension is not automatic, review is automatic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?id=4220529

Scott Walker had a suspension overturned too, and he's no Evgeni Malkin

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Walker-states-his-case-avoids-suspension-for-Wa?urn=nhl,162632

1zgyd8w.jpg

It was rescinded at "the league's discretion". Anotherwords, it gives them some flexibility to pull crap like this. BY RULE, this should carry a one game suspension, but with those idiots at the top, I guess they can do what they want

Or maybe they just like to take it on a case-by-case basis?

oBIgzrL.png

Hell, Steve Mason allowed 2 goals on 44 shots last night... and got the loss.

And gets pulled after giving up 4 goals on 13 shots tonight...

Welcome to the life of a Columbus Blue Jackets fan. One night he looks like he did last year, the next he looks like the 100th best goalie in the world. Either way, nobody wants to score goals on this team.

6fQjS3M.png

Massive win over the Wings tonight and it moves the Flames back into 8th Spot.

Clicking at the right time I hope.

For two teams fighting for their playoff lives, the first two periods were sloppy as hell. Neither team looked all that interested. The Wings kept playing that way while the Flames sorted it out for the third. Calgary deserved those points.

Archived