Then and Now

BlueSky

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nooooooooooooo...you aren't supposed to say the new Falcons duds are better!!!

I figured someone would have to jump on that!

But, yeah, the newer version is better than that cookie-cutter Bartkowski outfit.

Yeah, uh, NO.

Hey, does anybody have a decent color shot of the Rams in the gold jersey from the 50's?

I kind of wish the Packers stuck with green facemasks. It would have complemented the yellow helmets even more.

Um... hello?

I can't believe no one has thought about the packers using green facemasks again?! it's an amazing idea hahahaha

Nooooooooooooo...you aren't supposed to say the new Falcons duds are better!!!

I figured someone would have to jump on that!

But, yeah, the newer version is better than that cookie-cutter Bartkowski outfit.

New ones are way better! especially the all-black, which they never wear anymore

I kind of wish the Packers stuck with green facemasks. It would have complemented the yellow helmets even more.

Um... hello?

anyone know when the Steelers are going to drop orange? I kind of liked the simplicity of gold and black

Since we're on the subject... You know what else might be kinda cool? If The Bengals tried to incorporate some sort of tiger stripes on their helmets.

BB52Big.jpg

That's a great photo - I'll have to update my blog post on the subject.

Hey, great blog. Nicely done.

When I saw this...

1960_PackersYearbook.jpg

...I thought of this, which I'd seen during my searches. Didn't post it because it's tougher to see the masks. Weird, Taylor's & Starr's masks look green (but it's hard to tell), but Kramer's looks brown in the bottom photo.

3245871.jpg

As for the Rams' gold jerseys, haven't seen those that I recall. If I see one I'll post it.

There's not a lot of color from the '50s, but there are some of this scheme, and to me the colors are fantastic. Hate to admit that I didn't know enough of Rams' uni history to appreciate the Dickerson-era unis at the time. Personally I like the old colors better. Though it's tough to tell for certain from old photos, both seem a bit darker to me.

2157467.jpg81393081.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5480A9B01F8C4D4D1E189269FBF108B725719F77135D15322DE

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

That's a great photo - I'll have to update my blog post on the subject.

Hey, great blog. Nicely done.

When I saw this...

1960_PackersYearbook.jpg

...I thought of this, which I'd seen during my searches. Didn't post it because it's tougher to see the masks. Weird, Taylor's & Starr's masks look green (but it's hard to tell), but Kramer's looks brown in the bottom photo.

3245871.jpg

Yep, Kramer's mask is brown. It wasn't a "style" thing; that was evidently the color of the natural rubber (think of old rubber bands) Schutt used to coat cage masks before they used grey synthetic rubber. And the gray has changed over the years from pretty dark to kind of a bluish-grey to the current lighter grey. Here's an old Schutt "cow-catcher" mask with the brown rubber coating:

SH310.JPG

Here is a later grey cow-catcher like the one Namath wore at the end of his career (in both NY and LA):

SH430.JPG

Hey, does anybody have a decent color shot of the Rams in the gold jersey from the 50's?

Not an action photo, but here's a jersey from the Hall of Fame:

1084099303_c79b4ecf00_b.jpg

Don't know when the Rams added the unnecessary white outline - most of the photos I have seen are blue numbers on gold:

1945hirsch.jpg

elroy-crazy-legs-hirsch.jpg

And a Lon Keller painting of the gold Rams:

keller_rams.jpg

That's a great look - the Rams have such great looks in their past.

Man, I really miss those old Rams uniforms. The 70s-90s era blue on yellow looked nice, too. Either combination is a lot nicer than the darker St. Louis colors, I think. I also liked the long-sleeved jerseys.

The best thing about those Rams uniforms? The freakin' Ram horn goes all the way down to the edge of the helmet. It isn't like what they had in the 70's-90's era & on the throwback where the ram horn just randomly starts out of nowhere. It's always been my #1 pet peeve about those 70's-90's Rams uniforms. The one's from the old days are just beautiful though, especially the gold jerseys. If one team could pull that look off, it was the Rams from back then.

This is a great thread.

The best thing about those Rams uniforms? The freakin' Ram horn goes all the way down to the edge of the helmet. It isn't like what they had in the 70's-90's era & on the throwback where the ram horn just randomly starts out of nowhere. It's always been my #1 pet peeve about those 70's-90's Rams uniforms. The one's from the old days are just beautiful though, especially the gold jerseys. If one team could pull that look off, it was the Rams from back then.

This is a great thread.

Like this? That always annoyed me too. Looks ridiculous. Or do real rams' horns levitate above their heads? :D

nfl-rams-super_bowl_xxxiv_warner-kurt-13-white-2000-stockpic1.jpg

At least they fixed it now:

steven-jackson.jpg

I find it interesting that the first design used on a helmet is also one of the best ever. Whatever the colors are, it's striking, is a outstanding illustration for the team nickname, and is perfectly suited for use on a helmet.

2157368.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

New Ram horns > old Ram horns. By a lot. It's a shame that as time goes by, helmet shapes will continue to change, and the time could come where it's not practical to have a design like that.

BTW - are the horns still painted on? Or did they switch to decals at some point?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They're decals now, but I don't know when they switched.

40549_01_lg.jpg

I'd argue that the crescents are less adaptable to new helmet technology - they don't even fit on some of the helmets.

GYI0055844236--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

The smaller, knotty horns don't loop down as far, don't take up as much of the helmet "canvas" and won't be either buried in straps and clips, obscured by the masks or cut off by the very outline of the shell.

While looking for earlier Rams helmets to figure out when they went to decals, I found this.

This is one of the reasons I prefer the shorter "knobby horns":

42776_01_lg.jpg45925_01_lg.jpg

They've had to cut parts of the horn decal out to make it fit on the helmet. Not only around the mask, but around the chinstrap snaps.

This is just embarrassing:

35943_01_lg.jpg

Something's just not right there. The horn ought to be one uninterrupted curve, but that curve is always broken by the helmet construction.

The current horn is a great design that didn't survive the transition to modern helmets. Like sleeve stripes, it is an anachronism that really ought to be addressed.

Archived