Then and Now

BlueSky

Infrared- Eh. I disagree. The Falcons/Vikings have evolved. They're moving forward and all other uniforms will follow. There's nothing tacky in those designs like the Astros design. They've got style- like the designers actually understood how lines accent rather than well... we're gonna need some odd fitting stripes somewhere'. They look fast... SPORTY! Not like a casual sweater from grampas closet. The Vikings needed a new uni for decades and finally got one that makes the purple not so bad.

Just remember that not that long ago there were a lot of people who thought these fashions were "evolved", "sporty" and "not tacky."

zubaz1.jpgUFO-Cotton-Parachute-Pants_32F6634C.jpgoutfitentire_sm.jpgmemberonly.jpg

Come talk to me in 5 years.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's wrong with it?

The randomness of it all. It looks like they threw a bunch of chargers gear in a dark room and told Fouts to get dressed in the dark.

The helmet being navy, the jersey is royal, and the pants are gold. Nothing matches. Nothing is 'uniform'. The lightning bolts are completely different on the pants and helmet- and the lightning bolts on the shoulders just look tacky.

Infrared- Eh. I disagree. The Falcons/Vikings have evolved. They're moving forward and all other uniforms will follow. There's nothing tacky in those designs like the Astros design. They've got style- like the designers actually understood how lines accent rather than 'well... we're gonna need some odd fitting stripes somewhere'. They look fast... SPORTY! Not like a casual sweater from grampas closet. The Vikings needed a new uni for decades and finally got one that makes the purple not so bad.

Just because something looks sporty doesn't mean it looks good. The Falcons and Vikings have style, all right; a$$-ugly style. My eval. process? Well, I ask myself, would I wear a Falcons' jersey in public? Hell no. Now, a Texans' jersey? There's something simple, understated and subdued. Would be proud to be seen in that, though I don't love the little angled cuts on the numerals. Oh, it's pretty modern, too. A Browns' jersey? Sure. Looks like a football jersey, for one. Again, doesn't shout out to everyone around, "Check me out!" It does what it needs to and it's very simple, elegant and attractive.

Anyway, why do you have to look sporty when playing a sport? Looking good should simply be enough, and the fact that you're playing the sport should speak for itself, To me, part of looking good is having that little understated elegance. I'll never really understand your viewpoint and likewise you with mine, though I'm far from the most old-school thinker, being 24 years of age and all.

Personally, I think the Vikings and Falcons will revert back to more classic styles before all other uniforms will follow them into the temple of sartorial doom.

Well said. I'm 22, and I prefer most of the simpler/older designs.

A Browns' jersey? Sure. Looks like a football jersey, for one.

But do "classic" uniforms like the Browns' set have to be the only ones to "look like a football jersey?" I mean, I don't know about you, but a Bengals or Cardinals jersey makes me think of football just as much as a Browns or Colts jersey does.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

But do "classic" uniforms like the Browns' set have to be the only ones to "look like a football jersey?" I mean, I don't know about you, but a Bengals or Cardinals jersey makes me think of football just as much as a Browns or Colts jersey does.

Good point. On The Cardinals anyway. For some reason a Bengals jersey reminds me of a construction zone.

BB52Big.jpg

houston-astros.jpg

This still makes me so happy....

You make no sense. You hate every football uniform that comes out that looks any different from anything that was in the 1950s, but a baseball jersey that takes a big steamy dump on tradition makes you happy?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, that's where you and I differ, I suppose.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Just because something looks sporty doesn't mean it looks good. The Falcons and Vikings have style, all right; a$$-ugly style. My eval. process? Well, I ask myself, would I wear a Falcons' jersey in public? Hell no. Now, a Texans' jersey? There's something simple, understated and subdued. Would be proud to be seen in that, though I don't love the little angled cuts on the numerals. Oh, it's pretty modern, too. A Browns' jersey? Sure. Looks like a football jersey, for one. Again, doesn't shout out to everyone around, "Check me out!" It does what it needs to and it's very simple, elegant and attractive.

I think the problem with this argument these days is that there's such a stunning disconnect between the retail replica and the on-field jersey. The Browns jersey looks nice when you buy it off the rack and you put it on. But when a Browns players wears that same design squished into a skin-tight muscle-T, it looks like an outdated mess. On the other side of the coin, a Giants home replica is about the blandest, emptiest thing imaginable. And with the new jersey cut looming, and having seen its effect on "old" designs like the Packers and Colts, it seems obvious to me that a lot of NFL teams are going to have to seriously rethink their on-field looks, or they're all going to end up looking highly compromised and downright ugly.

(I also find it important to note that, no matter whether in the replica or the on-field template, the Jaguars' and Bills' looks are still ass-ugly.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the problem with this argument these days is that there's such a stunning disconnect between the retail replica and the on-field jersey. The Browns jersey looks nice when you buy it off the rack and you put it on. But when a Browns players wears that same design squished into a skin-tight muscle-T, it looks like an outdated mess. On the other side of the coin, a Giants home replica is about the blandest, emptiest thing imaginable. And with the new jersey cut looming, and having seen its effect on "old" designs like the Packers and Colts, it seems obvious to me that a lot of NFL teams are going to have to seriously rethink their on-field looks, or they're all going to end up looking highly compromised and downright ugly.

(I also find it important to note that, no matter whether in the replica or the on-field template, the Jaguars' and Bills' looks are still ass-ugly.)

Exactly. I'm not sure if you meant both old and modern but I think the same thing applies to most "modern" jerseys as well. I like the modern jerseys a lot better as a retail item than I do as a uniform. Seeing actual sleeves can make such a difference on most any jersey.

The point I suppose is that with the way they're being worn today, any jersey that wasn't designed to be stretched to the theoretical limit of the material is going to look like :censored: when worn as part of a football uniform. All that aside, there's just no saving The Bills or Bengals.

BB52Big.jpg

Since the Cardinals have come up numerous times, let's compare them:

3667173.jpg

Wait, that one probably isn't very helpful. :P But it is in fact the Cardinals. It's QB Charley Johnson in the 1964 'Mud Bowl' vs. the Giants at Busch Stadium. :wacko:

1970 > 2009

3672923.jpg3908868.jpg

3672973.jpg3990468.jpg

I sincerely believe the goofy Cardinal/Falcon-style pants stripes are a fad and are NOT what every uni will look like someday.

For fun, a few more from the Mud Bowl:

3667113.jpg3667158.jpg

3667178.jpg3667188.jpg

Those are unquestionably the worst field conditions I've ever seen in an NFL game. And it ended in a 10-10 tie.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

With the Cards, it's tough. Those uniforms are a mess, no question. Like the Bills and Bengals they'll look as outdated in five years as those teal Pistons uniforms look now.

That being said, I really like the new logo. It's the perfect update of the old mark. So I can't say that the new identity is completley hopeless.

Here's my ideal Cardinals uniform. Take the 1970 set you posted, use the new logo instead, replicate the stripes on the white jersey on the red one, and add a pair of red pants to sometimes wear with the white jersey.

More odds and ends...

Even dinosaurs were young once. :D

2123908.jpg

For you blue-pants Lions fans:

2120240.jpg

If the choice came down to keeping the Saints' current pasty gold pants vs. this set, I like the white pants better.

2236815.jpg

Nice Falcons set from 1976:

2237038.jpg

Mascot victim Adrian McPherson keeping watch for T-Rac:

2133252.jpg

No, seriously. At a 2006 preseason game in Nashville, T-Rac accidentally ran over McPherson with a golf cart. McPherson sued saying the injury cut short his NFL career, though judging by this pic it wasn't all that promising anyway. Have to wonder what the guard was thinking. :blink:

2002439277.jpg

Ditka in '63. Given the protective gear and the more lenient rules - ever see those old NFL Films highlights and the stuff those guys got away with? - it's tough to understand how players back then didn't get a concussion or broken nose every other play.

2157020.jpg

Seattle's early sets are vastly underrated IMO:

4359058.jpg2123316.jpg

In the "pics they'd rather forget" category, here is...who? This is actually a good trivia question. Who is it, and why is he in this particular getup? Hint: pic is sports-related and is from 1984.

3824343.jpg

In the "pics they'd rather forget" category, here is...who? This is actually a good trivia question. Who is it, and why is he in this particular getup? Hint: pic is sports-related and is from 1984.

3824343.jpg

my guess Crazy Ray? not sure as to why unofficial mascot of the cowboys? no clue really. kinda looks like deion sanders but way to early for him.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

3824343.jpg

That's Doug Williams and I'm gonna guess this had something to do with his time as QB of the Oklahoma Outlaws of the USFL.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

For you blue-pants Lions fans:

2120240.jpg

Ah, thank you. I know I'm probably only one of about 10 people who thinks this, but I believe that's the best road look the Lions have ever had. And in my uniform-nerd alternate reality, those blue pants made at least one appearance with the black jersey.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3824343.jpg

That's Doug Williams and I'm gonna guess this had something to do with his time as QB of the Oklahoma Outlaws of the USFL.

Yes and yes. We have a winner!

Ditka in '63. Given the protective gear and the more lenient rules - ever see those old NFL Films highlights and the stuff those guys got away with? - it's tough to understand how players back then didn't get a concussion or broken nose every other play.

2157020.jpg

Of course they did! Back then football players were MEN! They were tough! They played hard with complete disregard for their bodies. They knew they were going to die by 55 and they didn't care! Nowadays, all these guys are overpaid prima donna pacified pussies who sit out if they have a hangnail or broke a nail or have hurt feelings! Buncha candy asses!

3824343.jpg

Forget? Oh HELL no! I'd have that :censored: hanging up in my foyer at the crib. That's badass. Black cowboy hustlin'. Straight gangsta!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived