Then and Now

BlueSky

This idea has been bouncing around in my mind for a while - to find good (and similar where possible) pics from way back when and compare them to what the same teams look like today. Finding Dave Boss' excellent portfolio got me motivated to start.

It's an undertaking to get homes and roads for all the teams that were around back then so this may take some time, and others are of course welcome to post comparison pics.

We'll start with one that hasn't changed much...

1965 > 2009

2157397.jpgKansas_City_Chiefs_63ed.jpg

JimBrown.jpglarge_jerome-harrison.jpg

1962 > 2009

2157361.jpgtroy-polamalu.jpg

1964 > 2009

3246381.jpgvikings-line.jpg

bill%20brown.jpgnfl-2008-adrian-peterson-rb-minnesota-vikings.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those white Steelers jerseys need to make a comeback.

I've always been a big fan of the current Saints look, to be honest. Yeah, it could use some cleaning up, but on the whole it looks great. Plus, with that recent Super Bowl victory, I doubt they'll change anytime soon :D

The 49ers just need to go back to what they had before. The current set is a mismatch of a bunch of ideas with no real coherence.

You know which Cowboys set I liked? The "modern" version of the throwbacks they currently wear.

productImages-_176000-FF_176321_l.jpg

They would wear this set full time if it were up to me.

The Browns, eh, the only real change is the move to the new jersey cut. All the elements for the Browns are still there. Now if they would just go with white facemasks they would be set.

Man, those old Saints road uniforms with the brass-colored numbers were really sweet. Vastly superior. Can't say the same for the yellow-helmeted Steelers, and no iteration of the Vikings' uniform has ever been particularly appealing to me. Likewise, no dark Cowboys jersey will ever look good. I don't think the 2009 49ers are that mismatched, other than the vestigial black on the helmet logo. They're trying the best they can to look like the glory years Niners. The goofy modern jersey cut makes it hard.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You know which Cowboys set I liked? The "modern" version of the throwbacks they currently wear.

productImages-_176000-FF_176321_l.jpg

They would wear this set full time if it were up to me.

I've never understood the love for these goofy things.

They are interesting jersey. They seem very "90s" to me. I'd perfer they stay that way too.

As for the Saints, I've always wanted to see them wear Gold jerseys. It would make a cool alternate IMO. At the very least it would be cool if they switched back to the gold numbers on the white jerseys.

Not that I agree with the Browns' gray facemasks, but it looks like they should darken it a notch to match the ones they used to use. The Jim Brown's facemask appears to be a bit darker than Cribbs'.

6uXNWAo.png

Not that I agree with the Browns' gray facemasks, but it looks like they should darken it a notch to match the ones they used to use. The Jim Brown's facemask appears to be a bit darker than Cribbs'.

Darken the gray, lighten the brown.

I actually like the current brown better than the older one pictured here. It sets off the brighter orange quite nicely.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I actually kind of like the Steelers' old yellow helmet.

And the 49ers look exactly the same, but I guess that's the point with the 2009 squad reverting to the old 60s uniform. I've always liked the Lions identity too. The 2009 update made a lot of positive changes. Shame they can't field a better team.

Somebody needs to dig up a shot of the old Billy Sims unis with the silver flake numbers... awesomeness.

These?

0.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I don't like the silver numbers. It looks a little USFL-y to me. The one Lions anomaly I do like is the road uniform with the blue pants. Those were good because they helped set the Lions apart from the Cowboys a little.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Call me a homer, but the Packers have the market cornered on yellow shells in the NFL and it should probably stay that way.

Besides, why would the Steelers need to step in the sandbox of another team (one of the few whose history can arguably match their own) when they pretty much have black helmets on lock as it is?

Archived