Reebok F**** up Devils Green Jersey

Bobby 21

In some of the pictures, the bottom left point of the N touches the circle crest, then in some of the other ones, it doesn't. Is it really that big of a deal? I mean seriously, some people might be taking this way too close to the heart.

The christmas Devils jersey is meh, it was a good change to black/red when they did that, the green/red was hard to pull off with the "Devils" name since christmas and devil really don't go together and red/green is usually seen as xmas colours.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand all the love for that look. It was terrible, and remains so. The red-and-black look makes more sense and simply looks better. Hell, the Devils looked nigh perfect before the Edgeification, and even that didn't ruin the look.

Maybe the sweaters themselves were a little clumsy, but using green rather than black gave them their own color scheme in the league (Blackhawks have done red/black longer/better) and could be branded as a local "Pine Barrens Green" or seen as a tacit tribute to North Jersey's sizable Italian population. In the context of a team called the Devils, red and black makes sense (though there is the admittedly inescapable mixed metaphor between the Jersey Devil of local folklore and The Big Guy Allegedly Downstairs), and they look pretty good with what they have now, it's just that the green would've given some endearing idiosyncrasy to an organization that severely needs it.

I don't know the origin of the red and green, so I can't really comment on the whole "Italian Tribute" but I do know that the Red and Black does lend itself to the whole Devil motif. I Personally don't associate the colors red and black to the just the Blackhawks. I think because of the the Blackhawks logo uses multiple colors that the Devils have a pretty clean and distinctive look. Never had a problem distinguishing the two clubs. I never liked the green, but thats just me. I always thought it should have been changed to navy or black, and low and behold they ended up doing just that. I hope they never go back...but thats just me. I think they're identity is easily one of the best in the league.

I like how the original poster went off on the crest but seemingly failed to miss that these are also using the modern (and wider) font instead of the old block font.

As for the uniforms in general, I agree with Mockba they were/are ugly and terrible. The red and black ones are much better and in addition they have done nothing but win in them. Good looking and winning, that's a good combo.

What unnecessary stripe?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Christmas Devils jersey is my all-time favorite hockey jersey (and maybe in any sport). It was unique without being gaudy or using too many colors. The green and red work great...much better than the way the Wild do it. I am well aware that black and red (the most overused combo in the NHL, btw) make much more sense for a team called the "Devils". I am also aware that their history is losing in green and winning in black. They're never going back anyway. But if I was still a kid that loved to wear jerseys of other teams, I'd snatch that thing right up. I'd get the blank one because 1) the wrong number font and 2) the current players will never wear it for even a game.

The wrong number font is a far bigger issue than the slight misplacement of the logo, which is not nearly as bad as, say, the backwards star on the vintage north stars jersey (a problem that I think was corrected.

Yes the colors now make more intuitive sense, but they changed from unique to boring. It's a great logo, but for me, their uniform went from #1 to middle of the pack.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You put one too many asterisks in F*** :P

Or not enough for F*****...

Or exactly enough for F****

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The wrong number font is a far bigger issue than the slight misplacement of the logo, which is not nearly as bad as, say, the backwards star on the vintage north stars jersey (a problem that I think was corrected.

It was, mercifully. How did that mistake even happen?

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i thought Lou Lamoriello vowed never to have a third jersey. is this a one time deal?

Yep. One night only, though hopefully, it sells like crazy and the Devils win in them, encouraging the Devils to make them "one night only per season".

Nominally, yes, but we know how one-shot deals can creep into something more.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the Chicago Blackhawks or unplanned pregnancy.

i thought Lou Lamoriello vowed never to have a third jersey. is this a one time deal?

Yep. One night only, though hopefully, it sells like crazy and the Devils win in them, encouraging the Devils to make them "one night only per season".

Ugh, I hope not. They don't look good and represent losing in my mind. They are the definition of this retro for retro sake trend.

The unnecessary white stripe on the arm still bothers the hell out of me!!

I think you're just reading the pattern wrong, or rather, not as it was intended. If you look at the white jersey, you see there is a green stripe and a red stripe on each sleeve, and likewise at the hemline, though the order is reversed. Now look at the red jersey: They were trying to be consistent about it and they kept the green and red stripes, but separated them from the rest of the jersey and from each other with white stripes (They also switched the thickness so if the bottom stripe is thicker on the white, the top one is thicker on the red, and vice versa). The problem is that the red stripe (on the red jersey) makes it look like the white stripe is just floating out there. You might not like it still, but that's the sense behind it. I actually liked it better when I thought it was a random floating stripe. Looks like another case of forced consistency, otherwise known as 'stripe-matching: the novice uniform designer's go-to solution."

Just to show you what I mean:

devils.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived