2010 NCAA Final Four Thread

Cujo

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the obsession with TV Ratings in this forum topic? what the hell!

My point was not part of any obsession, it was an observation/prediction...people say they love the little guys, the underdogs, cute stories and all that bull:censored:, but they don't watch. Remember when George Mason made the Final Four? Probably, but I bet most of the people hoping to see Butler vs. WVU didn't watch Florida smoke the Patriots. People say they want the little guy to make it, but they don't watch it when they get there.

--------

I hear you about the Da'Sean Butler thing, tNak, but I wouldn't care if one of the players is in my family, I'll never root for a Bob (T)Huggins team.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

My point was not part of any obsession, it was an observation/prediction...people say they love the little guys, the underdogs, cute stories and all that bull:censored:, but they don't watch. Remember when George Mason made the Final Four? Probably, but I bet most of the people hoping to see Butler vs. WVU didn't watch Florida smoke the Patriots. People say they want the little guy to make it, but they don't watch it when they get there.

--------

I hear you about the Da'Sean Butler thing, tNak, but I wouldn't care if one of the players is in my family, I'll never root for a Bob (T)Huggins team.

I think the people that want them there do watch. There just aren't as many of them.

--------

I think the people that want them there do watch. There just aren't as many of them.

I tend to disagree. We watch everything in the first weekend and you can barely find a fan not jumping up and down when a 15 seed wins their first game or a G. Mason makes the final four. But in all sports, people like to watch teams that they are used to and that they either love or hate. Yankees, Lakers, USC (FB), Notre Dame (FB), Duke (Hoops), UNC (Hoops), Cowboys, etc. And generally, with the exception of the Super Bowl (which is not really about sports for viewership), postseason does better with those teams than with very good teams from "lesser" markets or with "lesser" history/polarization.

I was really hoping Duke would lose yesterday because I was curious to see the ratings. I think they'd have been pretty low. Michigan State's a big name, but they don't have the draw of some powers. Duke'll bring viewers because they're seen as big time and, for some, a team to cheer against.

Coming into the weekend, there was a possible final 4 of Tennessee, Butler, Baylor, West Virginia. WV would have been the biggest draw. It would have tanked. Are people excited that Butler made it? Sure? Will a Butler national title be an outstanding story? Absolutely. But Butler/West Virginia, should it happen, will pull low ratings. People love the stories, but they put their time into watching the familiar and the stars.

A lot of us will watch any teams...big name vs. small name does not matter to me. But the more casual fans is what the numbers will reflect.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'd actually find myself less interested in a MSU-Duke matchup. Like last year, I saw UNC or Michigan State on television so many times, that I felt watching them became boring. If Butler and WVU play each other for the National Championship, then I can't be upset with either outcome. A small-school winning the title, or Huggy Bear finally getting a deserved National Championship (10 years after he should have had one). Although it would be cool to see, although not at all likely, Kalin Lucas to some back, like Mateen Cleaves did in 2000. But once again, not likely because his injury is entirely different.

--------

A lot of us will watch any teams...big name vs. small name does not matter to me. But the more casual fans is what the numbers will reflect.

The numbers are ALL about the casual fan, I realize that. I was talking about those that truly want to see the lesser names there. They will watch, there just won't be as many of them watching.

I guess I'm a little confused as to why TV ratings should make me want one team to be there over another.

I guess I'm a little confused as to why TV ratings should make me want one team to be there over another.

I don't know if some people feel that way but I don't. TV ratings never factor into the teams I cheer for.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

caught the end of the Stanford-Xavier women's elite 8 game. It was tied with 8 seconds left when this one Xavier player missed a wide open point blank layup. Her teammates got the rebound, moved with the ball, she became wide open again, and again from point blank range she missed the layup to go the final four. Stanford got the rebound the second time, called a timeout and then one of the Stanford players went the length of the court to lay in the buzzer beater.

PvO6ZWJ.png

caught the end of the Stanford-Xavier women's elite 8 game. It was tied with 8 seconds left when this one Xavier player missed a wide open point blank layup. Her teammates got the rebound, moved with the ball, she became wide open again, and again from point blank range she missed the layup to go the final four. Stanford got the rebound the second time, called a timeout and then one of the Stanford players went the length of the court to lay in the buzzer beater.

Both womens' Elite 8 games that were on last night had a helluva ending (at least the two that I knew about).

I watched the entirety of Baylor vs Duke, mainly to get an up close look at Brittney Griner, but also because I knew it'd be a good game. And it was. Griner was sure wreaking all kinds of havoc--messed around and almost got a triple double (fell one block short)--but the whole time, I'm sitting there watching this game thinking, "if Baylor had any kind of outside shooting, that game could have turned into a blow-out". (Of course, better work on the boards would have also helped...but that's another story.) Still, the fact that a team that starts three frosh was able to pull that out (chiefly due to one huge play with about a minute to go--one of Baylor's players stole the inbounds pass, flipped it back to her teammate who then laid it in to cut the lead to one) is pretty big. That Griner was the one to score the go-ahead bucket sorta put the stamp on the whole thing.

Two things those Lady Bears really need to look at before their next game: rebounding, both offensive and defensive, and outside scoring. Either way, this team looks poised to make a deep run for a couple years.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

True dat, tNak...ol' girl's voice do got some bass to it. Perhaps she can lend Troy Polamalu some of that rasp...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I know its not the NCAA Tournament, but Dayton beat UNC to win the NIT.

This UNC team was like Oasis, got off to a great start, they we're pretty bad after that, they got better at the end, and I will end up defending this team in 10 years.

96 teams is stupid, but it's all about the money in the end, so I guess it's good business for the NCAA even though I would hate the tournament expanding at all.

Archived