2010 NCAA Final Four Thread

Cujo

I picked K-State to reach the Final Four, but I think you have to root for Butler. They are the symbol of the solid Mid Major and it will be nice to see them break through and reach the Final Four and it will be a home court for them too since I think they are technically the host of the Final Four.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked K-State to reach the Final Four, but I think you have to root for Butler. They are the symbol of the solid Mid Major and it will be nice to see them break through and reach the Final Four and it will be a home court for them too since I think they are technically the host of the Final Four.

Why Cinderellas are bad.

Indiana-based Butler and Purdue universities might be sentimental favorites to reach the Final Four, but most local business owners hope they don't make it. According to the Indianapolis Convention and Visitors Association, the Final Four brought $39.3 million in extra spending to the RCA Dome in 2006. This year, that amount is estimated at $50 million.

What these cold-eyed capitalists want are big schools with lots of fans who are close enough to drive but far enough away that need to stay a few days in hotels.

The Big Ten schools are perfect.

Teams on the coast, like St. Mary's College of California and Cornell University in New York -- not so much.

"They both would be a disaster, business-wise," said Tom Sutton, owner of Coach's Tavern, 28 S. Pennsylvania St.

Who Works Better for a City

I would love to see Butler get there, too. I think Gonzaga is the media's favorite Mid Major darling, but it would nice to see these Bulldogs (Butler) get where those Bulldogs (Gonzaga) couldn't.

Added benefit, people would finally have to shut the :censored: up about George Mason making it to the Final Four in 2006. At least I hope so.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Why Cinderellas are bad.

Indiana-based Butler and Purdue universities might be sentimental favorites to reach the Final Four, but most local business owners hope they don't make it. According to the Indianapolis Convention and Visitors Association, the Final Four brought $39.3 million in extra spending to the RCA Dome in 2006. This year, that amount is estimated at $50 million.

What these cold-eyed capitalists want are big schools with lots of fans who are close enough to drive but far enough away that need to stay a few days in hotels.

Teams on the coast, like St. Mary's College of California and Cornell University in New York -- not so much.

"They both would be a disaster, business-wise," said Tom Sutton, owner of Coach's Tavern, 28 S. Pennsylvania St.

So cinderellas are bad because they don't bring in as much money as the big schools? That's true that they don't bring in as much money to the host city and I could've told you that without a fancy link, but what's it to you how much money these people make? Why do you care? I assume you're not a business owner in downtown Indianapolis so it's not really affecting you. I really couldn't care less what Indianapolis thinks about a mid-major making the final four.

Because....

I'm bored with North Carolina, Michigan State, Duke, UConn, UCLA, Kentucky and other big boys in the final four. What's great about the K-State/Butler matchup is that at least one non-traditional power is going to go to the final four. That is cool with me.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm really looking forward to the K-State/Butler game. If Butler wins, we get to see a mid-major in their hometown in the Final Four. And I'd like to see Kansas State in the Final Four because of Jacob Pullen. He played in the same high school conference as me and I got to see him live a couple times in high school. I think Kansas State will beat Butler though. It seems as though fast-paced teams generally have more success against teams that like to slow it down. Either way, it should be a great game.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The money brought in doesn't concern any fans correct? Fans want the best possible match up and I agree I'm sick of the Big Boys running the show just one year, just one time I want to see some Mid-Major's stun the College Basketball world.

Then we can go back to the highly touted freshman that go to big name schools, leading them to a title before bailing to play NBA ball.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Why Cinderellas are bad.

You know what? Indy gets this damn thing every 4 years by contract, plus regional finals in other years, with the rest of the country left to battle over the other tourneys. You know what I say? Screw the businesses.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Michigan State pulls away late and ends Northern Iowa's run

Duke does the same and offs Purdue

MIDWEST - Michigan State vs Tennessee - Sunday

WEST - Butler vs Kansas State - Saturday

EAST - Kentucky vs West Virginia - Saturday

SOUTH- Duke vs Baylor - Sunday

Besides Duke, Kentucky, and Michigan State, at least we're getting some different blood into the Elite 8. I like it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Michigan State pulls away late and ends Northern Iowa's run

Duke does the same and offs Purdue

MIDWEST - Michigan State vs Tennessee - Sunday

WEST - Butler vs Kansas State - Saturday

EAST - Kentucky vs West Virginia - Saturday

SOUTH- Duke vs Baylor - Sunday

Besides Duke, Kentucky, and Michigan State, at least we're getting some different blood into the Elite 8. I like it.

As far as the last nine or so years are concerned, Dukes a stranger to the Elite 8 themselves.

IUe6Hvh.png

I predict a big weekend for the SEC and Big 12. Here's who I've got going to Indy....

Tennessee def. Michigan State

Kansas State def. Butler

Kentucky def. West Virginia

Baylor def. Duke

6uXNWAo.png

The #1 seed Lady Vols go down to #4 seed Baylor and Brittney Griner 77-62 in the Memphis regional semis. No Tennessee-UConn national semifinal. ESPN has to be pissed.

This would seem like the NCAA's greatest nightmare, but their selection committee gave a solid #3 Tennessee the 4th number one seed, and what was agreed by all the experts as the hardest road to the Final Four. If they wanted an epic Tenn/UConn matchup, they should've put Tennessee where they belonged, on the other side of the bracket, and set up the National Championship game. So good luck trying to fill the Alamodome now, especially if the likes of Nebraska, Xavier, and Baylor possibly making up the other 3 with Connecticut.

and yeah, not to mention literally no one will be tuning in to these games.

Anyway, it's still a historic day in Knoxville. IIRC, the dominant color in that pathetic Final Four logo happens to be BRIGHT ORANGE. B)

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

The #1 seed Lady Vols go down to #4 seed Baylor and Brittney Griner 77-62 in the Memphis regional semis. No Tennessee-UConn national semifinal. ESPN has to be pissed.

Especially considering that they spent the bulk of their "opinion hours" calling for Griner to be suspended FOREVAR after that punch she threw a few weeks ago. (I agree that she should've been suspended, but 2 games was a bit of a joke.) Gonna be hilarious if Baylor gets to the Final Four and they have to cover them if they play against UConn.

This would seem like the NCAA's greatest nightmare, but their selection committee gave a solid #3 Tennessee the 4th number one seed, and what was agreed by all the experts as the hardest road to the Final Four. If they wanted an epic Tenn/UConn matchup, they should've put Tennessee where they belonged, on the other side of the bracket, and set up the National Championship game. So good luck trying to fill the Alamodome now, especially if the likes of Nebraska, Xavier, and Baylor possibly making up the other 3 with Connecticut.

and yeah, not to mention literally no one will be tuning in to these games.

Anyway, it's still a historic day in Knoxville. IIRC, the dominant color in that pathetic Final Four logo happens to be BRIGHT ORANGE. B)

Someone call the waaaaaaaambulance to pick this guy up. :P

Tennessee's loss isn't really that big of a deal...provided Baylor can give UConn a game of course (which Tennesse couldn't have done). Besides, Brittney Griner is better TV by herself than Tennessee this year anyway. I'm tuning in to see if she can keep blocking double digit shots or to see if she's going to go Pacquiao again. :)

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Butler's going home...to play in the Final :censored:ing Four. Atta boy, Bulldogs!

Archived