A Couple of NCAA Tourney Observations

14er

While watching the Kansas State-BYU game yesterday, I realized how much more I liked the traditional fit of BYU's unis than KSU's SOD get ups. BYU's looser fit and narrower cut shoulders with trim just looked alot more like a basketball jersey where KSU looked like they were in cut-off t-shirts two sizes too small. I've never really been completly anti-SOD, but after seeing these head to head it really struck a cord. I also find it funny that the mid-majors are beginning to look like the better dressed teams when they're simply wearing old templates of schools that have moved on to the next big thing. Cornell and Butler wearing the old LSU template, Northern Iowa wearing an old KU template while beating Kansas themselves, Siena wearing the old Ohio State template, Utah State in an old Illinois template, and BYU in Duke's template but with the traditional neck & arm trim. Just my opinion, anyone agree?

While watching the Kansas State-BYU game yesterday, I realized how much more I liked the traditional fit of BYU's unis than KSU's SOD get ups. BYU's looser fit and narrower cut shoulders with trim just looked alot more like a basketball jersey where KSU looked like they were in cut-off t-shirts two sizes too small. I've never really been completly anti-SOD, but after seeing these head to head it really struck a cord. I also find it funny that the mid-majors are beginning to look like the better dressed teams when they're simply wearing old templates of schools that have moved on to the next big thing. Cornell and Butler wearing the old LSU template, Northern Iowa wearing an old KU template while beating Kansas themselves, Siena wearing the old Ohio State template, Utah State in an old Illinois template, and BYU in Duke's template but with the traditional neck & arm trim. Just my opinion, anyone agree?

I agree 100 percent. College basketball uniforms have gotten to be a complete joke the last few years. The Nike shoulder stripes were bad enough, then they outdid themselves with the SOD. Now, on top of that, we have those stupid stencil designs for teams like Syracuse and Kentucky. I hate that there's no tradition with college basketball uniforms anymore.

I for one am a huge supporter of the SOD look. It's clean, crisp, and simple; no extraneous piping or clunky side panels, just a basic basketball look. Ohio State is one of my favorites, as are Arizona and West Virginia. UConn looks nice too. The cut is nice too, IMO. None of that floppy, baggy, billowing fabric the older jerseys have, just a streamlined, form-fitting, nice-looking cut.

scotland_fifasig.png

I agree 100 percent. College basketball uniforms have gotten to be a complete joke the last few years. The Nike shoulder stripes were bad enough, then they outdid themselves with the SOD. Now, on top of that, we have those stupid stencil designs for teams like Syracuse and Kentucky. I hate that there's no tradition with college basketball uniforms anymore.

If you want tradition, root for Indiana.

I for one am a huge supporter of the SOD look. It's clean, crisp, and simple; no extraneous piping or clunky side panels, just a basic basketball look. Ohio State is one of my favorites, as are Arizona and West Virginia. UConn looks nice too. The cut is nice too, IMO. None of that floppy, baggy, billowing fabric the older jerseys have, just a streamlined, form-fitting, nice-looking cut.

The Red and Blue current AZ jerseys are solid, but the white one is awful. From a distance they look like huge black and white trash bags. More color would help a lot for them. They should use the blue or red strip instead of boring gray. Everything about the ones they used before were just great.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The problem that I have is that there seems to be two types of jerseys now- a- days. You either have stripes and piping galore without any rime or reason, or you have the "SOD"s which look like POS and really don't have any excitement to them. I could go home today, cut the arms off the white t- shirt and glue red and grey letters and numbers to it and BAM, an Ohio State jersey. Basketball doesn't have any middle ground I guess.

The problem that I have is that there seems to be two types of jerseys now- a- days. You either have stripes and piping galore without any rime or reason, or you have the "SOD"s which look like POS and really don't have any excitement to them. I could go home today, cut the arms off the white t- shirt and glue red and grey letters and numbers to it and BAM, an Ohio State jersey. Basketball doesn't have any middle ground I guess.

Yet when teams do add some stripes to jerseys people here seem to complain to no end. I don't think there is such thing as a middle ground. You either love them or you hate them.

Amen! And why doesn't the NCAA, like the NBA, ban the wearing of t-shirts or "performance tops" or whatever BS name Nike or UA or whomever is the "Flavor-Of-The-Month" uniform supplier calls their crap-a** garments. When Patrick Ewing started wearing that damn t-shirt and MJ put on the longer shorts back in the '80s uniforms started going down hill from there. T-shirts everywhere and shorts started to become baggier than your sister's old culottes. Sports uniforms today all look like he**! SODs look more athletic. Yeah, right! Makes the game resemble a pick-up contest at the local community center.

I prefer the narrower shoulders of a traditionally cut-top over the wide shoulders of the SOD top, but you can't honestly say that this is a better fit, especially for an athletic outfit. It's amazing to me how few people know the guidelines of proper fit. This akin to wearing a garbage bag, yet a vast majority of people think all garments should fit like this:

JTpoint.jpg

A properly fitting garment should fit the form of the body, and that goes for everything from dress shirts to casual tees. With narrower shoulders, this is perfect. The baggy shorts, however, are unacceptable (they should be hemmed to hit right around the bottom of the quadricep, with the leg opening [measured flat] about 80% of the circumference of the player's knee):

john-wall.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The SOD look really has grown on me, and I prefer it to the older style ones. Makes the players just look a lot more athletic and sportish, I don't know.

I disagree that they look more athletic. A lot of players in SOD uniforms with the tighter tops and looser bottoms look like they're wearing dresses and that is not athletic at all. I like the fit of the tops for SOD, but the baggy shorts look even more ridiculous when paired with a tighter fitting jersey. I'm not saying that we should go back to nut-huggers, but I'd like to see the shorts end at the middle to top of the knee and not flare out so wide.

In my opinion the best fit for basketball uniforms ever was the early to mid 90's. That was before the shorts had gotten too huge, but after they had grown out of the tiny shorts dark-ages, and before the Jordan wide shoulders became fashionable.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I prefer the narrower shoulders of a traditionally cut-top over the wide shoulders of the SOD top, but you can't honestly say that this is a better fit, especially for an athletic outfit. It's amazing to me how few people know the guidelines of proper fit. This akin to wearing a garbage bag, yet a vast majority of people think all garments should fit like this:{picture}

A properly fitting garment should fit the form of the body, and that goes for everything from dress shirts to casual tees. With narrower shoulders, this is perfect. The baggy shorts, however, are unacceptable (they should be hemmed to hit right around the bottom of the quadricep, with the leg opening [measured flat] about 80% of the circumference of the player's knee):{picture}

I agree with all of this, I love the SOD design, but they have made them too much like a sleeveless t-shirt. Basketball uniforms shouldn't have a collar like that. They should be cut lower on the neck and wider, and higher and wider for the armholes slightly. Simply stated; The shoulders need to be narrower. The shorts aren't horrible to me, as restricting leg movement is the last thing you want to do, but make them a little less baggy and bring them up above the knee and you are golden. (Your math and measurements are probably correct)

Archived