The 2010 Australian Football Thread

BB61

I was flipping through the channels at 1 am yesterday when i found the grand final live on TSN2! My sister lives in Oz and she and her husband are diehard AFL fans, so I stayed up to watch the entire match!

First time I've ever seen the sport. Very exciting, although its a dame shame there's no overtime.

I too watched the Grand Final on late-night TV. Having never watched a match before, I found I picked up the general rules pretty quickly. I agree that it's silly to have the match end in a draw and then replay the whole thing the next week. I liken it to the NFL holding two Super Bowls in back-to-back weeks.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

the AFL does use extra periods for the rest of the finals nowadays, just not the grand final. a vestige of tradition. I know one thing though, I missed most of the meat, but the end was crazy.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

It will be 2x 5mins (kicking each way), 2mins betweeen to swap ends.

I guess its the beauty of football. It's unique. We all knew that a drawn Grand Final will mean its replayed. I guess no one expected it to happen.

It's happened twice before in 1948 (or 47) and 1977 but this is the first time as the national league.

I guess you look back at it and think.... if only that lenny hayes kick bounced straight, if this happened or that didnt happen and so, then we wouldnt be in this position.....as if this doesnt mess with your head...

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I went to sleep thinking Collingwood had that in the bag. You mean to tell me that it ended in a draw and there's gonna be a replay?! OMG.

Dude, ME TOO!!?? I had to be at work at 8 am EST Saturday morning and it was already way into the morning hours here on the East Coast. When I found out it was a draw this morning, I almost flipped! Go Magpies!

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

ESPN2 and ESPN Classic are both carrying the GF replay Friday night at 1am Eastern. ESPN Classic is also carrying the pregame, 1 hour earlier. I've already DVR'd it. :)

I'm definitely setting a reminder on my TV for this. I didn't think ESPN2 would cover it. Though, they did cover the first game.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

The match starts at 12:30am EDT. Classic and ESPN3 will begin coverage at Midnight, while ESPN2 joins live starting at 1. I'll probably watch the first 30 minutes on the computer and then watch the rest in glorious HD on the Deuce.

The last two draws were '48 and '77. In both cases, the team with more shots on goal lost the replay (Melbourne 10.9 defeated Essendon 7.27 in '48; N Melbourne 8.16 defeated Collingwood 7.22 in '77). Doesn't bode well for Collingwood.

The extra time rule has only been in effect since '91. The last replay prior to this was a first round match between Collingwood and West Coast; the match was replayed the following week, and that pushed everyone else back a week (the Grand Final was the latest ever, Oct. 6th).

If the replay is a draw, they'll play 2x5min. If it's still tied, another set of 2x5min, and so on.

Personally, I think the idea of a draw in the grand final is great. I'm tired of listening to AFL fans whinge about the league changing the rules, and then they want to change a rule that's been in effect since 1897? C'mon.

Should be a great night, hope the Saints hoist the cup.

philly.png

I figure one thing...a championship game is one of the worst possible times to have one of those days where nothing goes right. St. Kilda is having one such day.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived