2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

Ducks sign D Andy Sutton to a 2-year, $4.25 mil contract.

Well, I will say he is a defenseman and can actually play defense. The Ducks desperately lacked that physical defenseman that could clear out the crease down low and can block shots. He will be a welcomed addition.

Any Sutton is a efenseman. However, playing efense isn't his specialty. His efensive skills suck ick.

Sutton's a thug, a punk, and a bum, and will do a lot more harm than help. As the ducks season goes along, you'll know Sutton more for his questionably-legal hits moreso than his actual play.

I mean, the Ducks did kind of need a guy like that, though. As much as their big, bad, nasty thug reputation has proceeded them, they've missed an intimidator on the back end. The only problem with all those "questionable hits," (and not to play the "NHL picks on the Ducks card," but there is a track record) since he is a Duck, he may get called for more of those.

And really, anything that even slightly resembles defense and a guy that has played in the NHL is welcomed on this Ducks defense right now <_<

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I will say he is a defenseman and can actually play defense. The Ducks desperately lacked that physical defenseman that could clear out the crease down low and can block shots. He will be a welcomed addition.

Any Sutton is a efenseman. However, playing efense isn't his specialty. His efensive skills suck ick.

Sutton's a thug, a punk, and a bum, and will do a lot more harm than help. As the ducks season goes along, you'll know Sutton more for his questionably-legal hits moreso than his actual play.

Questionable hits, a thug, a punk, a bum? That fits in with the Ducks m.o. for players recently. Remember this is a team that has George Parros and actually wanted Evgeny Artyukhin, does that not say enough about their mentality? I'm just wondering how long they will keep this attitude and sink lower and lower in the standings until they become like the Clippers, Pirates, Royals, and Islanders. Oh wait, forgive me Duck fans, at least the Ducks have a direction, a stupid one, but a direction! :hockeysmiley:

Questionable hits, a thug, a punk, a bum? That fits in with the Ducks m.o. for players recently. Remember this is a team that has George Parros and actually wanted Evgeny Artyukhin, does that not say enough about their mentality? I'm just wondering how long they will keep this attitude and sink lower and lower in the standings until they become like the Clippers, Pirates, Royals, and Islanders. Oh wait, forgive me Duck fans, at least the Ducks have a direction, a stupid one, but a direction! :hockeysmiley:

Uh huh...

Alex Ponikarovsky has me shaking in my boots.

Seriously, that's the one that puts the Kings over the top. Yup.

Plus, I've already stated my dislike for Bob Murray as GM and Randy Carlyle as coach. I'm not a complete fan of the direction this team is heading, at least in the trade/free agent market. Youth-wise and prospect-wise, I like it. Carlyle should be gone after this year, and Murray should follow him out. But once they get past this year or the next, the strong defensive youth the Ducks have in the system will finally get to the NHL and all this team will need is a competent GM to fill in the secondary scoring and a coach that occasionally encourages taking the puck off the boards. They have the top-end scoring with Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan (?), the young defensive studs on the way in Fowler, Gardiner, Mitera, Sbisa, Clark, and Hiller holding down the fort in net. Give it a year or two.

The Ducks will be back.

Okay. Where did you see that someone or anyone said that Ponakarovsky would put the Kings over the top? Please show me that quote or link. No one said he would. Secondly, you are talking about a team that was 1 point out of 5th place and only finished 2 points behind the team they played in the playoffs Vancouver. It's not like they were a bad team. Heck if they played .500 out of the Olympic break, they would've finished right behind Chicago and San Jose. It's not like they need much, as opposed to a team that needs defense in Anaheim. Dean Lombardi didn't sign Ponakarovsky to put them over the top, rather he's signed to replace the inegmatic Alexander Frolov who was there one game and gone for three. Ponakarovsky is what he is, a 3rd liner that will get you 15-20 goals and play defense.

Yeah I know.

More of a strawman thing than anything else :P . Just some silly Ducks/Kings trash talk because I was bored at work.

I wanted to say something about the Kings to counter the Ducks stuff, and I didn't want to use the hackneyed Stanley Cup taunt or the comparison of playoff records since 2002. Especially since the Kings did make the playoffs last year, and the Ducks didn't. (Which they might have had they played at least .500 after the break like you wanted with the Kings. But no, they chose to fall flat on their faces.)

I'll admit. I was just looking for some intrigue in my day.

I'll also admit the Kings are going to be good again, or at least would look to be. Who knows, I've seen projected good Kings teams fall flat too. But they didn't do anything to improve, not that they didn't try with Kovalchuk, but they ended up missing on him. I thought that would have put them over the top. They are a good team in the West, but I don't know if they are Cup good yet. Yeah Doughty is already a top d-man, but can he improve? And yea Kopitar had a great season last year, but I still don't think he has enough explosive offense around him. That top-flight sniper would have put them right near the top of the Cup conversation.

And yeah, the Ducks still need work. I'm not expecting much this season. Really just some stop gaps to allow the young talent to develop and arrive. A playoff berth this year would be a bonus. But I'd also rather not royally suck.

Yeah I know.

More of a strawman thing than anything else :P . Just some silly Ducks/Kings trash talk because I was bored at work.

I wanted to say something about the Kings to counter the Ducks stuff, and I didn't want to use the hackneyed Stanley Cup taunt or the comparison of playoff records since 2002. Especially since the Kings did make the playoffs last year, and the Ducks didn't. (Which they might have had they played at least .500 after the break like you wanted with the Kings. But no, they chose to fall flat on their faces.)

I'll admit. I was just looking for some intrigue in my day.

I'll also admit the Kings are going to be good again, or at least would look to be. Who knows, I've seen projected good Kings teams fall flat too. But they didn't do anything to improve, not that they didn't try with Kovalchuk, but they ended up missing on him. I thought that would have put them over the top. They are a good team in the West, but I don't know if they are Cup good yet. Yeah Doughty is already a top d-man, but can he improve? And yea Kopitar had a great season last year, but I still don't think he has enough explosive offense around him. That top-flight sniper would have put them right near the top of the Cup conversation.

And yeah, the Ducks still need work. I'm not expecting much this season. Really just some stop gaps to allow the young talent to develop and arrive. A playoff berth this year would be a bonus. But I'd also rather not royally suck.

I understand about the bored at work stuff. I've been there done that. Honestly, if the Ducks just fix that defense, they're fine. I just think they royally screwed up with resigning of Niedermayer and Selanne, that forced their hands to get rid of good players. To me a couple years ago, when they made that run to the playoffs, it wasn't because they got Niedermayer back, it was when Beauchemin came back. He was their MVP on the blueline and they took off after he came back from the injury. I love some of the players the Ducks have up front in Getzlaff, Perry, and Ryan. I was impressed by Sexton last year. I do and don't want to see the Ducks get better. I do because I want to see that epic playoff battle between the Kings and Ducks that will make the rest of the hockey world realize that SoCal fans are passionate and knowledgeable about hockey. I don't want to see the Ducks get better, because of that core group of forwards and Hiller in goal. By the way, when Ponakarovsky scores on the Ducks, I'll let you know! :hockeysmiley:

Teemu Selanne has confirmed to a Finnish newspaper that he will return to the Ducks next season.

And... ugh... he may joined by Paul Kariya... sigh...

Teemu Selanne has confirmed to a Finnish newspaper that he will return to the Ducks next season.

And... ugh... he may joined by Paul Kariya... sigh...

Well, it worked great in Colorado, maybe this time it wait wh

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Someone really needs to take away Bob Murray's collection of George Roy Hill films.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hey guys I was in NHL.com just a few mins ago and noticed something funny..here the pic...

nhlcomnamemisspell.jpg

See the black line box I outline? Where the name Minnesota is misspelled.. it says Minnesotta and whoever is doing the spellcheck must have missed that one!! :rolleyes:

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

You pointing out the minor spelling errors of others is funny.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hey guys I was in NHL.com just a few mins ago and noticed something funny..here the pic...

nhlcomnamemisspell.jpg

See the black line box I outline? Where the name Minnesota is misspelled.. it says Minnesotta and whoever is doing the spellcheck must have missed that one!! :rolleyes:

It can also be said that when you look at the picture it looks like #12 there is saying "God, get me off this team. Ward, hold me."

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

nhlcomnamemisspell.jpg

It can also be said that when you look at the picture it looks like #12 there is saying "God, get me off this team. Ward, hold me."

LOL good one, man.... I just about howled good...Wouldnt Staal and Ward wanna have some private times to do some man-hugs?? geeez but lol funny one...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Easy tiger.

:lol: Sorry. I'm very edgy today. idk why. And Rusty was one of my favorite Mighty Ducks when he was here, just want to get him corrected is all haha.

Archived