2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

Janssen is pretty worthless, but I haven't mustered up strong feelings against him yet. Alex Burrows and Karmic Retribution Poster Boy Willie Mitchell, I openly wish ill.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Capitals Insider:

"Also last night, the Edmonton Journal citing an NHL source reported that the Capitals are in discussions to send forward Tomas Fleischmann to either the Edmonton Oilers for defenseman Sheldon Souray or to the Vancouver Canucks for defenseman Kevin Bieksa."

I do not like the end result of these potential trade scenarios.

They can save a couple million by sending to Vancouver. Given the contracts that Washington's been giving out, it's probably their best bet. Injury wise, Souray and Bieksa are a push; Bieksa's good for at least one deep calf laceration per year, Souray's good for a broken limb.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Souray = Do. Not. Want. Bieksa...ehh, I'd rather have a healthy Willie Mitchell for a low coming off concussion discount. If we trade Flash at this point (without a 2C plan), its admitting that Belanger will be our 2C and even given Flash's struggles at the C position, it is a net downgrade.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Well, we knew this was going to happen. It takes his $5,625,000 hit off the cap, but I believe the Blackhawks are still obligated to pay him the balance of his contract. I think the Swiss team directly reimburses the Blackhawks in part, at least.

Huet should be applauded for taking his demotion and exile like a consummate pro. A lesser guy would've been a bitch and made life miserable for Niemi and the rest of the team. He may've left the NHL with an .895 sv% on the year, but if you ask me, he has a 1.000 good-guy%. A bientot!

Because $2.75MM was too much to spend when they could get equivalent production for $1.3MM. Niemi's agent really dicked everyone. Now the guy hasn't even found work and it's almost September.

Now what do they do with the extra money? Sit on it for next offseason?

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

What extra money...? Unless the cap increases for next year the 'Hawks don't have this "extra money." I'm pretty sure that with Huet, the 'Hawks would've been 5 million or so over the cap, right guys?

6fQjS3M.png

What extra money...? Unless the cap increases for next year the 'Hawks don't have this "extra money." I'm pretty sure that with Huet, the 'Hawks would've been 5 million or so over the cap, right guys?

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah, Huet singlehandedly accounted for the 10% offseason wiggle room. Look at how many players are making under a million: Hendry and Skille at 600k each, Scott and Dowell around 512k each, and Boynton and Pisani at 500k each. With all these minimum or near-minimum contracts, they're still cutting it close because the team must be punished for Jonathan Toews winning the Conn Smythe. Huet had to be taken off the active roster or else the Blackhawks literally would not have been able to field a full team.

The commenters at Puck Daddy are flailing and screaming that this is "cap circumvention," which is why they're just idiot Puck Daddy commenters. This is all outlined in the CBA. If other NHL teams actually think it's unfair that Huet is being exiled to Switzerland, they're free to claim him on waivers. Don't think the rich should be able to hide bona fide NHLers off the roster? Money--->mouth.

As I sit here and watch the Blackhawks and their struggles with money, I am again thankfully glad that Kovalchuk did NOT sign with the Kings. Dean Lombardi has said it from day 1, he has a core group and he's not going to do anything to take away from that core group. If he signs a player to a huge contract it will affect players like Doughty, Kopitar, etc. who will want more money that a big-time free agent will get. So seeing the struggle of Chicago to keep their team together, I'd rather see Kovalchuk sign somewhere else so the Kings can have multiple years to chase after the Cup and not just a one and done like Chicago did last year.

When your most lamented departure couldn't crack 40 points or a positive differential in the regular season, you have to wonder to what extent you really gutted your roster.

From Capitals Insider:

"Also last night, the Edmonton Journal citing an NHL source reported that the Capitals are in discussions to send forward Tomas Fleischmann to either the Edmonton Oilers for defenseman Sheldon Souray or to the Vancouver Canucks for defenseman Kevin Bieksa."

I do not like the end result of these potential trade scenarios.

Bieksa is a 3.7m cap hit, Fleischmann is a 2.6m cap hit, someone else would be going the other way for the Canucks. If we're assuming the rumor has some legs.

As for a Pens fan like me...it looks like Tangradi has a spot to lose in camp. Hoping he cements that position and is on the opening night roster.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

With Huet basically gone to Switzerland to play, the Hawks get back 1.5m in cap space since they were over about 2.7 and some change. That's not much, they want to keep enough space for call-ups and what not and during the deadline. So they will go into the season with Turco & Crawford as their tandem and basically what they have now.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

The Blackhawks can also bank some cap space for the deadline by I-90ing any players on two-way contracts. This can lower the cap hit on Kyle Beach if he decides to stop being a flaming asshat and make the team. ZOMG CAP CIRCUMVENTION.

Archived