2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

Seriously, NHL?

They're really getting into the "cut off your nose to spite your face" phase. Just let it happen. It's your own fault for agreeing to a stupid CBA.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, for everyone who was all up in arms about the Kovalchuk contract violating the spirit of the CBA, can you explain to me why being able to bury bad contracts in Europe is any less of a circumvention of the spirit of the CBA? They're both ways to get around the salary cap which is supposed to reward intelligent financial management. I don't see why the second one is somehow completely kosher while signing a contract that complies with the letter of the CBA is somehow so outrageous.

So, for everyone who was all up in arms about the Kovalchuk contract violating the spirit of the CBA, can you explain to me why being able to bury bad contracts in Europe is any less of a circumvention of the spirit of the CBA? They're both ways to get around the salary cap which is supposed to reward intelligent financial management. I don't see why the second one is somehow completely kosher while signing a contract that complies with the letter of the CBA is somehow so outrageous.

Because Europe isn't part of the NHL?

TSN & TSN2 to televise 124 regular season games.

Here's a breakdown (All games featuring at least one Canadian team)

- 17 Leafs games

- 16 Habs games

- 12 Sens games

- 10 Flames, Nucks and Oiler games each

- 12 Original Six matchups

- 10 Blackhawk games

- 14 games featuring Alex Ovechkin

- 10 Doubleheaders

- Dany Heatley's return to Ottawa

More games featuring Alex Ovechkin then Western Canadian teams that's a joke, and of course the West gets shafted again with only 10 games each compared to the 45 combined featuring the Eastern teams.

If Sportsnet One doesn't come to Shaw or Bell TV us out here in the West unless your one of few that has Rogers TV can't see Flames, Oiler or Canuck games that would be on PPV if this was last year.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Strike two! Devils denied a second attempt from the League to sign UFA Kovalchuk.

Has anyone seen the terms of this alleged rejected second deal?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

- 17 Leafs games

- 16 Habs games

- 12 Sens games

- 10 Blackhawk games

- 14 games featuring Alex Ovechkin

- 10 Doubleheaders

More games featuring Alex Ovechkin then Western Canadian teams that's a joke, and of course the West gets shafted again with only 10 games each compared to the 45 combined featuring the Eastern teams.

If Sportsnet One doesn't come to Shaw or Bell TV us out here in the West unless your one of few that has Rogers TV can't see Flames, Oiler or Canuck games that would be on PPV if this was last year.

Funny how you list the names of the teams except for one. Those games aren't Capitals games, those games "feature Alex Ovechkin."

- 17 Leafs games

- 16 Habs games

- 12 Sens games

- 10 Blackhawk games

- 14 games featuring Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals

- 10 Doubleheaders

Funny how you list the names of the teams except for one. Those games aren't Capitals games, those games "feature Alex Ovechkin."

My mistake, TSN lists it as games featuring Alex Ovechkin and the Capitals I will make the switch.

Still I guess TSN thinks people here in Canada still want to see the Capitals.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

- 17 Leafs games

- 16 Habs games

- 12 Sens games

- 10 Blackhawk games

- 10 Doubleheaders

My mistake, TSN lists it as games featuring Alex Ovechkin and the Capitals I will make the switch.

They DID win the President's Trophy last year, which typically is an indicator of good hockey play.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

- 17 Leafs games

- 16 Habs games

- 12 Sens games

- 10 Blackhawk games

- 10 Doubleheaders

They DID win the President's Trophy last year, which typically is an indicator of good hockey play.

To quote Mike Knuble: "The Presidents Trophy, is that the one you get to take home?"

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

So, for everyone who was all up in arms about the Kovalchuk contract violating the spirit of the CBA, can you explain to me why being able to bury bad contracts in Europe is any less of a circumvention of the spirit of the CBA?

Um, because the CBA provides for players to be waived or loaned? Huet is not the first, last, or only player who collects a paycheck from a team while not playing on its active roster. Without a no-move clause, there's nothing that says Huet has to be on the 23-man roster for the entirety of his contract. He would've been waived and assigned to the AHL affiliate, as many players on one-way contracts are, but it was better in his case to assign him to the Swiss league. The Blackhawks are still paying him in full to do nothing for them, money they'd rather not spend. They're being punished, don't worry, but the Huet loan was all done pursuant to the CBA. The Caps did the same thing with Nylander. The Canucks will have to do the same with Luongo eventually, provided the NHL hasn't self-immolated by then.

The Kovalchuk contract should've been legal but it was just the NHL trolling itself and was never meant to be legal in the first place, so.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Strike two! Devils denied a second attempt from the League to sign UFA Kovalchuk.

Has anyone seen the terms of this alleged rejected second deal?

I think what it is, is that the Devils are calling the league offices and asking, "Can we do this? What about this?" Here's something I found on ESPN about it.

"In order for a contract to be rejected, there would have to be a signed contract submitted," Bettman said Wednesday after addressing the World Hockey Summit. "There has not been a signed contract submitted."

But Bettman did not dispute that there has likely been ongoing dialogue between the Devils and the league over what might be allowed under the salary cap.

"I don't know if there has been such cap advice, what the specifics of it might be, and I wouldn't comment on it anyway because that's a dialogue we regularly have with our clubs," Bettman said.

Another chapter in "Only in the NHL".

League chasing top level talant to the KHL.

Kovalchuk isn't top level talent.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived