2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... the NHL just hates their Newark team, don't they? Keep Hossa's same-structured deal, Luongo's joke of a contract, Savard, etc... but Jersey does it? "NO!"

:censored: off, Bettman...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

And so begins your next season-long, league-crippling work stoppage, hockey fans.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Has the reasoning for this ruling been posted anywhere yet? Seemed like leading into this, every labor lawyer asked was saying there was no way the NHL would win. Did the league seriously just happen to find the one guy who agreed with them to arbitrate this? Or did the PA just blow what should have been an easy win?

Take that NHLPA!

Yeah, :censored: you, players! Your greed means that less of the market-driven price of my ticket goes to team ownership, the people I really root for.

Easy tiger.

:lol: Sorry. I'm very edgy today. idk why. And Rusty was one of my favorite Mighty Ducks when he was here, just want to get him corrected is all haha.

Once I hear the news Kariya is signed, all will be good in my book. Selanne is back, so that's one step forward.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

And so begins your next season-long, league-crippling work stoppage, hockey fans.

Sheesh...no hockey, no football, possibly no basketball. The NCAA stands to be the really huge winner in all of this, and they are the worst of the lot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Easy tiger.

:lol: Sorry. I'm very edgy today. idk why. And Rusty was one of my favorite Mighty Ducks when he was here, just want to get him corrected is all haha.

Once I hear the news Kariya is signed, all will be good in my book. Selanne is back, so that's one step forward.

Once Kariya is signed, I'll go burn down Bob Murray's house.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Has the reasoning for this ruling been posted anywhere yet? Seemed like leading into this, every labor lawyer asked was saying there was no way the NHL would win. Did the league seriously just happen to find the one guy who agreed with them to arbitrate this? Or did the PA just blow what should have been an easy win?

Who is "every labor lawyer", it literally was as simple as "oh come on, the last 6 years of that contract are complete BS."

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Grinder/entry/view/73856/arbitrator_rules_in_favor_of_nhl_in_kovalchuk_case

Not the whole ruling, but some important excerpts.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Who is "every labor lawyer", it literally was as simple as "oh come on, the last 6 years of that contract are complete BS."

Which is an assumption. I didn't know those were binding. I guess we should throw out Ray Whitney's contract because it assumes that the Phoenix Coyotes exist beyond the 2010-11 season.

As for who thought the NHLPA would win... Matt Mitten seemed to favor the PA, Jeffery Kessler said it's not circumvention if there's no rule against it. Can't find any other links with specific quotes right now. In the media (which may not mean much), Larry Brooks, Steve Simmons, Anthony J. SanFilippo and Mark Everson all wrote as though an NHL defeat was inevitable.

The contract structure is the same as many others approved by the NHL. The precedence was there, the NHL did not have a leg to stand on, yet they "won" this arbitration.

What a joke...

sB9ijEj.png

Shouldn't have gone past the Chelios Line

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The contract structure is the same as many others approved by the NHL. The precedence was there, the NHL did not have a leg to stand on, yet they "won" this arbitration.

What a joke...

It doesn't happen often, but I'm with you on this one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What a joke...

It was not the same and there is no precedent. Which previous contract was for 17 years? Which previous contract lasted until the player was 44? Which previous contract had five years at the end for $550k, which will absolutely be below the league minimum by then? Which previous contract, what with a no-movement clause becoming a no-trade clause and a massive salary drop off, makes it blatantly obvious that only 11 of the 17 years are really what counts? That was the truly blatant part which ruined this for them, because it gave both parties every incentive to end the deal. Devils don't want the cap hit anymore? Send him to the minors, it goes away. Kovalchuk doesn't want to ride the bus in the AHL? Retire, you've got $98 out of $102 million.

1zgyd8w.jpg

What a joke...

It was not the same and there is no precedent. Which previous contract was for 17 years? Which previous contract lasted until the player was 44? Which previous contract had five years at the end for $550k, which will absolutely be below the league minimum by then? Which previous contract, what with a no-movement clause becoming a no-trade clause and a massive salary drop off, makes it blatantly obvious that only 11 of the 17 years are really what counts? That was the truly blatant part which ruined this for them, because it gave both parties every incentive to end the deal. Devils don't want the cap hit anymore? Send him to the minors, it goes away. Kovalchuk doesn't want to ride the bus in the AHL? Retire, you've got $98 out of $102 million.

Rick DiPietro signed a 15-year contract. What makes a 15-year deal acceptable and a 17-year deal unacceptable?

Marian Hossa and Roberto Luongo have contracts that last until they're 42 and 43 years old, respectively. What makes 44 an unacceptable age, when 42 and 43 are acceptable?

Why is it acceptable for Zetterberg and Luongo to make $1 million in their final years of their deals, and Hossa to make $750,000 in his final years....but unacceptable for Kovalchuk to make $550,000 in the final years of his deal?

There were plenty of precedents. Kovalchuk's contract just happen to combine all three of these above scenarios....scenarios that had been accepted by the NHL.

Wow... the NHL just hates their Newark team, don't they? Keep Hossa's same-structured deal, Luongo's joke of a contract, Savard, etc... but Jersey does it? "NO!"

:censored: off, Bettman...

If it's any consolation, I'll bet you a chocolate malt that Lamoriello put on this entire dog and pony show in concert with the league office, since it was a glaringly uncharacteristic Devs transaction and the NHL can't wake up in the morning without committing some manner of white-collar crime.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

We're all gonna have egg on our faces when Warsaw Pact Experimental Cyborg Marian Hossa really does play through the end of his contract, assisted by cryogenically preserving himself in future offseasons. I'd say it's a more effective method than how Chris Chelios would fully soak himself in alcohol over the summer, but that seemed to work pretty well for him, to a point.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Elwood... contract s t r u c t u r e ...

Yes, and his contract is structured in the most laughable way of all. This is the guy getting pulled over for doing 85 whining to the cop about the people doing 65 that got away scot-free.

The arbitrator even mentioned the other deals, saying "their structure has not escaped League notice: those (contracts) are being investigated currently with at least the possibility of a subsequent withdrawal of the registration." They don't matter. What matters is that the NHL proved (a) that it was reasonable to question whether or not the Devils and/or Kovalchuk intended to fulfill the entire agreement, and (b ) that the contract "has the effect of defeating the provisions of the CBA".

1zgyd8w.jpg

Elwood... contract s t r u c t u r e ...

Yes, and his contract is structured in the most laughable way of all. This is the guy getting pulled over for doing 85 whining to the cop about the people doing 65 that got away scot-free.

The arbitrator even mentioned the other deals, saying "their structure has not escaped League notice: those (contracts) are being investigated currently with at least the possibility of a subsequent withdrawal of the registration." They don't matter. What matters is that the NHL proved (a) that it was reasonable to question whether or not the Devils and/or Kovalchuk intended to fulfill the entire agreement, and (b ) that the contract "has the effect of defeating the provisions of the CBA".

You're stuck on the numbers. The numbers don't matter. What matters is how the contract is set up. It is set up in the same way as Hossa and the others contracts. Front-loaded & looooong, to reduce the cap hit. The numbers don't matter. Why approve all the rest, but stop this one, when it's the same deal other's have been doing? With throw-away years and the like? It doesn't make sense.

sB9ijEj.png

Archived