2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

Can we now equate the Chicago Blackhawks firesale to the 1997 Florida Marlins post-championship one?

(Prepares for backlash from Blackhawk supporters).

No backlash, just don't see the correlation. This "firesale" is purely to get under the cap. This would've happened to some degree if they didn't win the Cup. If the cap wasn't an issue and this was just to dump salary, then I could understand the comparison. There's a maximum dollar amount you are allowed to spend in the NHL. The 'Hawks will be at the absolute ceiling of that number. No firesale.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we now equate the Chicago Blackhawks firesale to the 1997 Florida Marlins post-championship one?

(Prepares for backlash from Blackhawk supporters).

No backlash, just don't see the correlation. This "firesale" is purely to get under the cap. This would've happened to some degree if they didn't win the Cup. If the cap wasn't an issue and this was just to dump salary, then I could understand the comparison. There's a maximum dollar amount you are allowed to spend in the NHL. The 'Hawks will be at the absolute ceiling of that number. No firesale.

To an extent, there is some correlation between the Blackhawks and the Marlins. I acknowledge that even before the season began, the Blackhawks were in dire financial straits as they had given Huet and Campbell albatross contracts in previous years. However, both teams had to trade away key cogs to their championship run. Amongst the ex-Blackhawks are Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager, Brent Sopel, Kris Versteeg, Andrew Ladd, Colin Fraser and Antti Niemi. It is a lot of personnel movement in order to get under the salary cap ceiling.

I'm just happy they got the cup before all this happened. This would be a total joke if they had gone out in the second round

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Ducks sign D Andy Sutton to a 2-year, $4.25 mil contract.

Well, I will say he is a defenseman and can actually play defense. The Ducks desperately lacked that physical defenseman that could clear out the crease down low and can block shots. He will be a welcomed addition.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Niemi would look great in a Preds jersey.

Didn't the Predators just sign Rinne to an extension last year? I'd think that they are pretty well set right now at goalie.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

But they let Ellis go, I think they'd look good as a 1-2 tandem and Rinne was best when splitting time with Ellis. They also play a good defensive style which fits Niemi well. Make no bones about it, Niemis not a franchise goalie, but I think him and Rinne would look good as a tandem AND he could get back at the Blackhawks for winning him a Cup :D

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

But they let Ellis go, I think they'd look good as a 1-2 tandem and Rinne was best when splitting time with Ellis. They also play a good defensive style which fits Niemi well. Make no bones about it, Niemis not a franchise goalie, but I think him and Rinne would look good as a tandem AND he could get back at the Blackhawks for winning him a Cup :D

But we haven't seen Rinne as the regular #1 goalie and i think the Preds want to try it out. Plus Niemi think he's a #1 goalie and well he's not going to sign with a team where he'll have to split time. He wants the chance to prove that he can play the number of games that a #1 goalie does. I can see him going to the Isles though. They need him and he's behind a a young rebuilding team. I would really like to see the Sharks take a swipe at Niemi but I don't know if they can work it.

spacer.png

But we haven't seen Rinne as the regular #1 goalie and i think the Preds want to try it out. Plus Niemi think he's a #1 goalie and well he's not going to sign with a team where he'll have to split time. He wants the chance to prove that he can play the number of games that a #1 goalie does. I can see him going to the Isles though. They need him and he's behind a a young rebuilding team. I would really like to see the Sharks take a swipe at Niemi but I don't know if they can work it.

The Sharks would be good for him too, they cant be happy with just Niitymaaki and Griess. The Isles have Roloson and DiPietro (but not for long probably).

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

The Sharks would be good for him too, they cant be happy with just Niitymaaki and Griess. The Isles have Roloson and DiPietro (but not for long probably).

The Sharks must think Griess could fill in. I think he could but I don't think the Sharks thought Neimi would be available. They should make a play for him hard. Isles would be a great fit as Ricky D isn't as good as he should be and well Roli can't play into his 50's

spacer.png

The Sharks must think Griess could fill in. I think he could but I don't think the Sharks thought Neimi would be available. They should make a play for him hard. Isles would be a great fit as Ricky D isn't as good as he should be and well Roli can't play into his 50's

No he isnt as good as he should be, but they are committed to him for 11 more years (what WERE they thinking?) and Roli is a more than capable backup and can carry the load, but neither the Sharks, Isles, or Preds should be content with their goaltending situation. I know the Caps have come up alot for him but I think we are content with Varlamov and Neuvirth splitting the load.

How do Sens supporters feel about Brian Elliott? Would Niemi be a better fit? Somebody will take a gamble on him and it may or may not workout just don't pay him Huet money.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I don't think Ottawa has any cap space left to pay him more than someone like San Jose might pay him.

I'm a fan of Niemi, from the way Toews speaks of him it sounded like he was a key guy in the dressing room, something which I think would be welcome in Ottawa. Leclaire and his salary won't have any of that though.

Hi, how are you?

Ducks sign D Andy Sutton to a 2-year, $4.25 mil contract.

Well, I will say he is a defenseman and can actually play defense. The Ducks desperately lacked that physical defenseman that could clear out the crease down low and can block shots. He will be a welcomed addition.

Any Sutton is a efenseman. However, playing efense isn't his specialty. His efensive skills suck ick.

Sutton's a thug, a punk, and a bum, and will do a lot more harm than help. As the ducks season goes along, you'll know Sutton more for his questionably-legal hits moreso than his actual play.

I noticed a tiny connection to Belfour and Turco....

Belfour was drafted by the Blackhawks and then was traded to San Jose in '97 then became a free agent and was signed by the stars.

In the 00/01 season Turco became a back up for Belfour until he became a free agent '02, Then in 2010 Turco became an free agent and signed with the Blackhawks.

Connection?

NASLUND.pngLINDEN.pngSMYL.png

No he isnt as good as he should be, but they are committed to him for 11 more years (what WERE they thinking?) and Roli is a more than capable backup and can carry the load, but neither the Sharks, Isles, or Preds should be content with their goaltending situation. I know the Caps have come up alot for him but I think we are content with Varlamov and Neuvirth splitting the load.

I'll go as far as to say DiPietro's not even good, though the contract he signed was good...for him. We all know he will be felled by a season ending injury sometime before the end of the first week of the season. The guy can't stay healthy. I'd love to see Niemi on the Island but that would require some type of movement from the front office.

why is it that ex-stars(hatcher, Modano, Hull, Verbeek) like going to the wings? He must really want to stick it to dallas.:D

Probably because the can get the most out of 38 y.o.+ players with some success. Shanahan and Chelios are two other examples.

And guess who is the opponent for the Stars' home opener...Detroit (Oct. 14)

Archived