2010 NHL Offseason chatter

HedleyLamarr

Doesn't matter. The NHL was typically too stupid to come up with anything regarding maximum years or standard deviation, and now they're dicked. It's a legal contract. Can't just say "I don't like it," though I still suspect this is Lamoriello/Vanderbeek and Bettman trying to take a stand against big spending together. I hope they fail because I hate him.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't matter. The NHL was typically too stupid to come up with anything regarding maximum years or standard deviation, and now they're dicked. It's a legal contract. Can't just say "I don't like it," though I still suspect this is Lamoriello/Vanderbeek and Bettman trying to take a stand against big spending together. I hope they fail because I hate him.

Yes, I think I've heard you say that once or twice. I'm only saying that there is no precedent because there hasn't been a contract like this before. Hell, it's the second-longest contract ever in sports behind Magic Johnson's.

Yes, I think I've heard you say that once or twice. I'm only saying that there is no precedent because there hasn't been a contract like this before. Hell, it's the second-longest contract ever in sports behind Magic Johnson's.

Didn't Steve Young have a 40-year deal with a USFL team?

It's strange that the NHL allowed the contracts signed by Hossa and Luongo (I believe) that last until these guys are 42 or 43. What makes 44 so different? Besides, Chelios played last season, and he was 48 at the time.

Admiral's right. This contract is completely legal as to what the CBA allows. On legal grounds, the NHL won't win a case just because "We don't like it.".

The NHL should have said "Our bad!" and tie up this loophole in the next negociations.

Simple solution to a very complex problem, instead of doing average salary over the term of the contract as the cap hit, do it actual salary paid for that year. End problem.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Luongo made $10 million last year and makes $1 million in 2022. Why is that contract okay and Kovalchuk's isn't?

Becasue Luongo gets payed 2 million in the final two years. Kovalchuk gets payed 3 millon in the final 6 years. Slight difference. Plus not everyone is 100% against the gold medal goalie like you are.

Canucks news:

Raymond resigns for a two years at a reasonable rate. Plus Sami Salo injured again likely out til December.

Becasue Luongo gets payed 2 million in the final two years. Kovalchuk gets payed 3 millon in the final 6 years.

That doesn't matter. The structure is the same. All you are arguing is the level of bulls**t. The level doesn't matter, it's all bulls**t. Once the NHL let all those other deals go, they left themselves without a leg to stand on with the Kovy deal.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Just based on precedence, i don't think the NHL can win this. Not only that, if no CBA rules were broken, then you can't simply say "Well, we don't like it" and throw the contract out. Fix the loophole during the next CBA negotiations...

Precedence? Who else has a 17-year deal? Who else signed a contract at 27 that takes them to 44? Who else has a contract that actually goes up by 5 million after two seasons before dropping to just above the league minimum for the final five?

There are several deals out there that were given the OK by the NHL that are structured in the same way. The Kovy deal also does not break any of the CBA rules. So tell me where the NHL has a case? Just cause no one likes it doesn't mean it can just be thrown out on the basis that "We don't like it". The NHL got jacked with these front-loaded contracts. Maybe they'll do a better job preventing that in the next CBA...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Just based on precedence, i don't think the NHL can win this. Not only that, if no CBA rules were broken, then you can't simply say "Well, we don't like it" and throw the contract out. Fix the loophole during the next CBA negotiations...

Precedence? Who else has a 17-year deal? Who else signed a contract at 27 that takes them to 44? Who else has a contract that actually goes up by 5 million after two seasons before dropping to just above the league minimum for the final five?

There are several deals out there that were given the OK by the NHL that are structured in the same way. The Kovy deal also does not break any of the CBA rules. So tell me where the NHL has a case? Just cause no one likes it doesn't mean it can just be thrown out on the basis that "We don't like it". The NHL got jacked with these front-loaded contracts. Maybe they'll do a better job preventing that in the next CBA...

Bettman is doing this for two reasons:

1. This makes him look bad.

2. It's an opening salvo for the next round of CBA talks. They league knows they'll lose, and they'll also probably take forever trying to "find" a suitable arbitrator to hear the case. If they really wanted to, they could drag this out for years until the Devils either redid the contract, or Kovy went back to Russia.

They're not in this to win next month; they're in this to win in 3 years.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Again, I am not questioning the validity of the deal. All I said was that there is no precedence for this contract being approved because there has never been a contract like it. And, no, they are not structured the same way, as I pointed out earlier. Kovalchuk will make 6 for two seasons then go to 11.5 for a few more and for the last 5 years he is making just above the league minimum. Show me any other contract that has that high of a jump and drops to the floor at the end. Like I said, unprecedented.

The Rangers are close to inking Frolov to a one-year deal. Here's hoping he gets back to his old form playing on a line w/ Gaborik.

Though the Rangers can't ever score so he probably won't...

You've obviously never seen Fro play on a consistant basis have? Well, consistant and Frolov are two words you'll never hear together. He's kind of like Haley's comet, he only comes around so often, but when he does, you can clearly see him. I shudder to think of him in New York and how the media will rip him during his scoreless streaks. The only worse place for him to have gone, would've been Montreal. Honestly, he's probably do better in Florida or Nashville. He's the most inegmatic player I've ever seen. When he's on, he's on and All-World. When he's off, you sit there after the game and ask, "Was Frolov scratched or injured? I never saw him out on the ice." Have fun with him New York.

The Rangers are close to inking Frolov to a one-year deal. Here's hoping he gets back to his old form playing on a line w/ Gaborik.

You've obviously never seen Fro play on a consistant basis have? Well, consistant and Frolov are two words you'll never hear together. He's kind of like Haley's comet, he only comes around so often, but when he does, you can clearly see him. I shudder to think of him in New York and how the media will rip him during his scoreless streaks. The only worse place for him to have gone, would've been Montreal. Honestly, he's probably do better in Florida or Nashville. He's the most inegmatic player I've ever seen. When he's on, he's on and All-World. When he's off, you sit there after the game and ask, "Was Frolov scratched or injured? I never saw him out on the ice." Have fun with him New York.

Exactly the type of player Glen Sather looks for. Waiting for him to pay Kyle Wellwood $4.5M anytime now.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Exactly the type of player Glen Sather looks for. Waiting for him to pay Kyle Wellwood $4.5M anytime now.

Hey, let's not forget their big move this year, Derek Boogaard!

Archived