The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

The only redeeming factor of the Cavs' set is the ProCombat-esque collar slogan. Other than that, the Cavs now have one of the worst uniform sets in sports. Those hideous things are a travesty.

I agree! They're terrible. Just cheap and bad. Those Jazz jerseys are pretty awful too.Why do they have "Utah" in Optima Italic on the ass?

You guys just don't get it! Everything makes perfect sense and has never looked better! These will go down as an all-time classic and change the way you think about Utah, Optima, and jerseys!

!!!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Golden State: This is the first time I?ve seen the uniform in full and I think it?s horrible. The placement of the number in the circle is odd (and a 2-digit number will be even worse), you cannot read the team name. This concept was ditched in the 1970s for a reason. Thankfully there is no cable car on the back.

Minnesota: As I?ve mentioned, upgrade I wish they?d not made. The death of green is too bad.

Clippers: Upgrade. They fixed some lingering issues on the logo and uniform. They should remove the ?LAC? from the collar, so they can enlarge and move up the ?Los Angeles? script. But otherwise, I am very glad they keep the same color scheme and general look. OK, they probably should have scrapped the Laker copycat logo, but the update to the uniform is great and I?m glad there was no overhaul.

Utah. I?m undecided here. I like the ?J? logo and I like the color scheme. But I don?t like certain color placement choices they made. I prefer the home uniform, but feel the numbers should be blue. Far too much white on the road uniform. I don?t like the white wordmark and think that yellow may be the better dominant color for the side panels. I like the 1980s road uniform better.

Mavs. Maybe I can use this on the ?unpopular opinions? thread because I think this is an upgrade. It?s brighter now. I still hate their overall identity, but I like seeing the color here.

Cavs. Another unpopular opinion, but I really like these. The wine and gold was decent, but I prefer this. It?s simple, old school and still a bit unique. I love the lack of white on the road jersey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Clippers - Not sure yet, I'll wait to see them on court before I judge; not much of a fan of the side design tough.

T-Wolves - Why the heck is the green gone!?

Cavs - I guess everybody hates it because of the previous LeBron uniforms. (Which were quite nice) I, on the other hand, love how the navy is finally gone. The look is much much cleaner and the colors contrast better.

Jazz - I didn't like the constant recolors but after seeing the pictures... damn, I really really dig both of the uniforms.

Mavericks - WTH??

Warriors - I actually like the logo, the uniforms... meh, they did a bad job.

Like any good critic, I wanted to wait until I saw these babies in person, rather on paper before I gave my official review!

I?ve stated above that as a lifelong Jazz fan, I totally understand why the Jazz made this push to go back to the retro look; because not only is it a favorite to 95% of the hometown fans, but the merchandise has been flying off the racks since they started sporting it last year with their green Hardwood Classic unis! And despite the Jazz going to the Finals in 1997 and 1998 when they sported the mountain look, local Jazz fans still regard the original 1980?s through mid 90?s note brand as the True Official Jazz Brand of Utah. So you can go on and say it?s an oxymoron that the Jazz are returning to a look that was originally sported in New Orleans, and when I try to look at it from an outsider?s point of view, you?d be quite right, but any smart business will give their customers what they want. So rather than blaming the team itself, maybe the right thing to do is blame the Jazz fans themselves for influencing these changes! Who knows?

Anyway, my original fear on the away uniforms is that the green would somehow disappear on the dark navy blue background, but thankfully that isn?t the case at all! As you can see from the photo below, the green shows up really well.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Away_Unis_Chest.jpg

Having said that, these in my opinion are the best Utah Jazz Uniform Set to date! The side panels are a simple but yet amazing feature, proving they can add a lot to your uniform when used with the right color combo. The return of the original wordmark is also a breath of fresh air and it manages to pop out even more now than it originally did more than a decade ago, and all because they made a few minor color tweaks to the accents to the right of the letters. This feature proves to be even more prominent on the roads when the white wordmark is featured against a dark navy blue background, bright yellow numbers, and white side panels. In fact, I kind of wish they could adopt the roads as their homes so us Jazz fans would have the opportunity to see them face-to-face on a more personal basis! And last but not least, the shorts are amazing! The return of the J-note is nostalgic and pleasing to the eye, but it?s even better when featured with those great side panels! You can count on these being in my shopping cart this upcoming Fall!

Here's some more photos from the Fan Fest....

98429-kb-gallery-ac8666-46643.jpg

47164-kb-gallery-ac8953-46651.jpg

92112-kb-gallery-img8214-46658.jpg

101-mb-gallery-ac8681-46644.jpg

101-mb-gallery-img8270-46659.jpg

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Jesus. First the Sixers, and now Utah - why would any pro team use the ugliest generic block font in existence in this day and age? It's not retro, it's not vintage, it's just crap, and it's ironed on at t-shirt shops across the country. Stop it.

Yes, those numbers are attocious. Single layer numbers are awful in almost all cases, and certainly for the Jazz and Sixers. I mean, they would still look bad if they used a respectable font, but as-is the Jazz and Sixers jerseys look like someone found a blank on eBay and took it to their local t-shirt shop to have the numbers heat-pressed on.

I don't get this new obsession with single layer numbers. Uniforms are either half-assed overdesigns or half-assed underdesigns. Why can we no longer get a respectable, traditional number font? Every team redesigning their unis was coming up with a garish new font (hello, Clippers) to be unique for the past several years. Some teams still do that, but now some go with awful, over-generic single layer fonts? What the hell?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Some Jersey modfications:

Suns collar/smaller script?, Hornets collar/pinstripes, Hawks collar, Sixers collar, Nets collar (V Neck) also the Spurs are now rocking v necks

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/103418718/National-Basketball-Association

103417982.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BF

http://twitpic.com/2fmd3o

103418690.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BF

103419616.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BF

103419754.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BF

EDIT: Sorry if my links arent working, they wouldnt attach properly, try this link and skim through http://tinyurl.com/2b2xq7a

Anyway, my original fear on the away uniforms is that the green would somehow disappear on the dark navy blue background, but thankfully that isn’t the case at all! As you can see from the photo below, the green shows up really well.

Outside.

In sunlight.

That doesn't prove anything - we'll have to see what they look like indoors under artificial light, and what they look like on television.

Don't get me wrong - I still consider this to be an amazing upgrade. But I'm not convinced that the green on the wordmark won't get swallowed up against the blue.

Like any good critic, I wanted to wait until I saw these babies in person, rather on paper before I gave my official review!

I’ve stated above that as a lifelong Jazz fan, I totally understand why the Jazz made this push to go back to the retro look; because not only is it a favorite to 95% of the hometown fans, but the merchandise has been flying off the racks since they started sporting it last year with their green Hardwood Classic unis! And despite the Jazz going to the Finals in 1997 and 1998 when they sported the mountain look, local Jazz fans still regard the original 1980’s through mid 90’s note brand as the True Official Jazz Brand of Utah. So you can go on and say it’s an oxymoron that the Jazz are returning to a look that was originally sported in New Orleans, and when I try to look at it from an outsider’s point of view, you’d be quite right, but any smart business will give their customers what they want. So rather than blaming the team itself, maybe the right thing to do is blame the Jazz fans themselves for influencing these changes! Who knows?

Anyway, my original fear on the away uniforms is that the green would somehow disappear on the dark navy blue background, but thankfully that isn’t the case at all! As you can see from the photo below, the green shows up really well.

Having said that, these in my opinion are the best Utah Jazz Uniform Set to date! The side panels are a simple but yet amazing feature, proving they can add a lot to your uniform when used with the right color combo. The return of the original wordmark is also a breath of fresh air and it manages to pop out even more now than it originally did more than a decade ago, and all because they made a few minor color tweaks to the accents to the right of the letters. This feature proves to be even more prominent on the roads when the white wordmark is featured against a dark navy blue background, bright yellow numbers, and white side panels. In fact, I kind of wish they could adopt the roads as their homes so us Jazz fans would have the opportunity to see them face-to-face on a more personal basis! And last but not least, the shorts are amazing! The return of the J-note is nostalgic and pleasing to the eye, but it’s even better when featured with those great side panels! You can count on these being in my shopping cart this upcoming Fall!

Wow, on second thought, those look AMAZING. I might actually put those around the top 10 in the league.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I’ve stated above that as a lifelong Jazz fan, I totally understand why the Jazz made this push to go back to the retro look; because not only is it a favorite to 95% of the hometown fans, but the merchandise has been flying off the racks since they started sporting it last year with their green Hardwood Classic unis! And despite the Jazz going to the Finals in 1997 and 1998 when they sported the mountain look, local Jazz fans still regard the original 1980’s through mid 90’s note brand as the True Official Jazz Brand of Utah. So you can go on and say it’s an oxymoron that the Jazz are returning to a look that was originally sported in New Orleans, and when I try to look at it from an outsider’s point of view, you’d be quite right, but any smart business will give their customers what they want. So rather than blaming the team itself, maybe the right thing to do is blame the Jazz fans themselves for influencing these changes! Who knows?

Having said that, these in my opinion are the best Utah Jazz Uniform Set to date! The side panels are a simple but yet amazing feature, proving they can add a lot to your uniform when used with the right color combo. The return of the original wordmark is also a breath of fresh air and it manages to pop out even more now than it originally did more than a decade ago, and all because they made a few minor color tweaks to the accents to the right of the letters. This feature proves to be even more prominent on the roads when the white wordmark is featured against a dark navy blue background, bright yellow numbers, and white side panels. In fact, I kind of wish they could adopt the roads as their homes so us Jazz fans would have the opportunity to see them face-to-face on a more personal basis! And last but not least, the shorts are amazing! The return of the J-note is nostalgic and pleasing to the eye, but it’s even better when featured with those great side panels! You can count on these being in my shopping cart this upcoming Fall!

Wow, on second thought, those look AMAZING. I might actually put those around the top 10 in the league.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Some Jersey modfications:

Suns collar/smaller script?, Hornets collar/pinstripes, Hawks collar, Sixers collar, Nets collar (V Neck) also the Spurs are now rocking v necks

EDIT: Sorry if my links arent working, they wouldnt attach properly, try this link and skim through http://tinyurl.com/2b2xq7a

I think Adidas has seriously wronged the NBA in multiple aspects. That ugly collar idea, which they think is so great, is now being implemented far too much.

The stupid wishbone deal looks horrible on the Suns, Sixers, Warriors, Hawks! Why'd they touch the Hawks! It looks heinous. Unnecessary.

Archived