The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides what seems like a league-wide change to lighter weight jersey material, here's a recap:

ATL- changed from unique collar to "Hornets" collar (huge downgrade)

BOS- NO CHANGES

CHA- NO CHANGES

CHI- NO CHANGES

CLE- complete change (huge downgrade)

DAL- either replaced away jersey with tweaked alternate (minor upgrade) OR just tweaked alternate from "Mavs" to "Dallas" (minor downgrade)

DEN- NO CHANGES

DET- NO CHANGES

GS- complete change (huge downgrade, especially after the logo showed so much promise)

HOU- changed # font (minor upgrade)

IND- NO CHANGES

LAC- complete change (upgrade)

LAL- NO CHANGES

MEM- NO CHANGES

MIA- NO CHANGES

MIL- NO CHANGES

MIN- changed from unique collar to "Hornets" collar; dropped green; changed # font (overall huge upgrade)

NJ- changed from scoop to V-neck (upgrade)

NO- NO CHANGES

NY- NO CHANGES

OKC- removed orange patch from collar (minor downgrade)

ORL- added a black alternate (upgrade)

PHI- changed from unique collar to "Hornets" collar (upgrade)

PHX- changed from V-neck to "Pacers" collar (upgrade)

POR- NO CHANGES

SAC- moved front #s to center (minor upgrade)

SA- changed from scoop to V-neck (downgrade)

TOR- NO CHANGES

UTA- complete change (minor upgrade)

WAS- changed from scoop to V-neck (upgrade)

It should read LAC - complete change (HUGE UPGRADE!)

You have to remember how awful the previous Clipper set was to truly appreciate the first good-looking jerseys the clips have had since they moved to Los Angeles. I am Lakers fan, but when I saw the Clippers new jersey's, I was going ga-ga for it. I love the Clippers new uni's. They now are one of the better looking teams in the NBA... Finally...

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Leaving aside the many teams who just changed the collars to V-Necks, here are my ratings of the new uniforms...

Cleveland: Their now old designs were really great, but I also really like the new throwback style jerseys. The only flaw is that the logos look out of place with the unmatching fonts. Going all-out retro full-time may not have been necessary, but it's a great way to move on from the LeBron era. (I can't decide whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade)

Dallas: Is the new road really royal blue? If so, good for them. Their unis still suck, but at least there's less navy blue. (Minor upgrade)

Golden State: The bridge pattern on the shorts is a nice touch. Very creative and I am not bothered at all by the main logo being used on the front. In fact, they are....awesome!!! (Huge upgrade)

LA Clippers: They updated everything that needed an update. Very nice job by the Clippers here. (Upgrade)

Minnesota: I will miss the green trees. The silver doesn't look too, too bad though. (Downgrade)

Utah: They rid themselves of a set of generic and lousy uniforms for a set of beautiful retro uniforms. Thank goodness they are not using the mountain logo anywhere on or near their uniforms. (Huge upgrade)

woah!! i did not realize the Hawks ruined their collar??!?!?!

why!!! what is the point in some of the tweaks this year?

It seems that Adidas replaced some of the teams unique collar designs (Bucks, Hawks, Sixers, Suns, Hornets, Kings) with a pair of their basic designs (wishbone, the new Sixers collar also seen on the Wolves and others). What a disappointment <_<. Especially in the Bucks', Hawks' and Sixers' case. Feels like a cheap cost-cutting move.

I used to rate the Cavs' LeBron era jerseys as one of the leagues best. These new ones are simply horrible. How in the world could they ditch the older ones for these? Seriously...WTF???? Idiots.

Agreed. And the #1 of that font with its curvy top just doesn't help (as if it would made any difference at this point -_-).

woah!! i did not realize the Hawks ruined their collar??!?!?!

why!!! what is the point in some of the tweaks this year?

It seems that Adidas replaced some of the teams unique collar designs (Bucks, Hawks, Sixers, Suns, Hornets, Kings) with a pair of their basic designs (wishbone, the new Sixers collar also seen on the Wolves and others). What a disappointment <_<. Especially in the Bucks', Hawks' and Sixers' case.

I used to rate the Cavs' LeBron era jerseys as one of the leagues best. These new ones are simply horrible. How in the world could they ditch the older ones for these? Seriously...WTF???? Idiots.

Agreed. And the #1 of that font with its curvy top just doesn't help (as if it would made any difference at this point -_-).

Did the Bucks', Hornets', & Kings' collars change? I didn't notice that.

ujsignature.png

OK, looking at the Cavs uniform and being a Cavs fan... i have come to the following conclusions:

1.) "All for one, one for all" is incredibly cheesy, but they are carrying that through to the merchandise, court, arena, advertising, and now the uniforms. I think its a smart marketing move, and reminder no player is above the team.

2.) Since they completely changed the wordmark on the jersey, they could have spent some time revamping the logo package. A new C w/ Sword logo, or Sword carrying the Banner logo could have been easily drawn up... thus eliminating the clashing wordmark C and C with sword.

3.) The colors look good.

4.) The collars look terrible. I don't like the 5 stripes OR the round collar. I don't think it is going to lay nicely around the players' shoulders. I wish they would have stuck with the 2 strip collar from the previous set.

5.) Getting rid of the triangle in the front of the collar is a down grade. It looked like it ended the neckline well.

6.) I dont like using 3 colors on the home uni, and then only 2 color on the away. If you are going to put a red and yellow trim on a white uni... you should put yellow and white trim on a red uni.

7.) I would be willing to bet this is a short term update. Maybe only 4 years. The last set was used for 7 years... which is almost twice as long as any other uniform in the Cavs history.... usually updating after 3 or 4 seasons.

8.) I want to see what they look like when they get some run in them. They are the only team that hasn't released pictures of the players in the uniforms.

9.) So glad the navy is gone. It was a nice additional initially... but then just got completely over exposed. It doesnt work with the more classic shades of yellow and wine.

I'll think of more later.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

So where did this whole "White is our secondary color, we swear!" thing start?

Of the teams that noticeably(to casual fans) changed their uniforms this year...Utah, Golden State, Minnesota, and the Clippers all feature White very prominently on their road uniforms. To put this in context, last year only 6/30 (BOS, CHI, DEN, NOH, POR{PDX?}, SAC) teams featured White prominently on their roads. I am counting "prominently" as being used more than for scripts, names, numbers and tiny trim/piping. Also, I'm counting the Celtics only because it is the only other color on their uniforms. That means last year only 5 teams were choosing to display White on their road uniforms more than one of their other colors...but this year 9 will be doing that. That has to mark a new trend right? There is no doubt that the Celtics, Bulls, and Blazers had this look locked in before somebody decided it was 'hip'. So the Nuggets, Hornets, and Kings are deciding what is considered fashionable now, go figure.

Conversely, the Cavaliers went the other way and eliminated White altogether from their roads. Kudos to them for not trying to be 'cool' I guess.

I don't understand why everyone is hating on the Cavs. Most people on here consider the Celtics' uniforms to be the best in the league because of their simplicity and reflection of the past. The Cavs have gone through a dozen designs or so and are returning to a simple classic look, in other words, the Cavaliers version of the Celtics uniform.

If anything, the colors are unique and it is among the simplest jerseys in the league.

For a league that has most teams becoming modern and using piping, weird collars, etc. it's ncie to see a team go completely classic for once. After all, most looks change after 5-10 years, so it's a solid uniform for what's bound to be a bad era in Cavs bball.

Hoopskid, the general "hate" for the new Cavs uniforms is because they've changed so many times since the uniforms these are hearkening back to. The Celtics never strayed from their look, which makes it classic. You can't bail on a nice look then go back to it 30 years later and say, "Look, we are an old-school NBA team!" It's inauthentic. We all know they bailed on that look. Time to find a new look that can be timeless for them (which I thought they did, BTW).

FWIW, in a vacuum I like these uniforms a lot. The script is the only part that seems off. But in context and knowing their history, they should've just kept their uniforms. They were great.

I also noticed the Celtics get a larger "Celtics" on the front, a new neck for the Suns, and looks like a new neck for the Heats.

Is this a record most tweaks ever in an off-season?

Does anybody have any photos of this new Celtics font change?

Cavaliers could've had a modern classic with the last set if they had made a few little improvements. But why do that when you can roll out this cheap crap. Embarrassingly slapdash work here. Now more than ever I hope they finish in 14th place.

Perhaps this is the true reason LeBron left Cleveland after all, he didn?t want to wear to P.O.S.! thicon_wink.gif

Golden State has the worst uniforms in the league.

Hey, you have to applaud a team for continuing a long tradition! :D

I would like to congratulate the Utah Jazz for finally breaking the current trend of blue/lighter blue previously employed by themselves, the Memphis Grizzlies, the Dallas Mavericks, the New Orleans Hornets, and the Denver Nuggets; while simultaneously nailing every portion of their redesign except for the number font. This is how retro should be done. I can't remember the last time I metaphorically drooled over a team's new uni. (Oh, wait -- yes I can.)

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Away_Unis_Chest.jpg

Mmmmmmm.

I see yours along with everybody else?s point about their number font (although I personally don?t mind it), but with that said what would you rather have seen on this modernized retro uni?

The Jazz jerseys are SO GOOD, especially the away.

Until you get a glmpse of the pathetic replica jerseys sold in local Fanzz stores. And what the hell is up with the wide shoulders??? I thought that trend would have been long dead by now! The shoulders and lack of detail on the side panels sort of kills the overall effect.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Jefferson_Away_Rep.jpg

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Hoopskid, the general "hate" for the new Cavs uniforms is because they've changed so many times since the uniforms these are hearkening back to. The Celtics never strayed from their look, which makes it classic. You can't bail on a nice look then go back to it 30 years later and say, "Look, we are an old-school NBA team!" It's inauthentic. We all know they bailed on that look. Time to find a new look that can be timeless for them (which I thought they did, BTW).

exactly.

plus, the celtics are green and white, making for a nice contrast.

the "updating" of the wine and gold have put the 3 colors in the logo at a similar value. looks terrible, dump the navy blue.

i'm curious to see how the crossed swords on the floor will appear on t.v., will it put off a green hue?

also, something else that bugs me is the new logo type on the jerseys. Why go with the san-serif font, but yet keep the zorro-esque typography on the logos. does not blend at all. I could live with the plain jane uniforms if they didn't slap the "C" above the NOB, and the C+sword on the shorts.

Archived