The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Perhaps it looks like the players are wearing a sports bra instead of a basketball jersey?

It's either that, or it's the fact that the collar "points" almost right to where a woman would be showing cleavage. I don't know about you but if I see a picture of a woman with nice cleavage my eyes are almost immediately drawn to the cleavage. And it seems like these pointy collars do the same thing... maybe I am just weird or perverted.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. When I saw the replica jerseys I got really excited, hoping the shorts would be like the original '70 ones with the gold stripe down the side, but no we've gotta have plain shorts.

Totally ruins the set.

I agree. With the 70s throwbacks you had a nice script and great looking shorts. This set is far too plain (no outlines, no white on the roads, completely dull lettering).

I think this leaves the jerseys with a blank slate basically, and in the future they can find a lot of ways to tweak it into a very nice uniform. For now, I think I'm the only person in the world in the middle ground. Most either love them or hate them, I'm kinda in between.

The boringness of the road jersey at least would be overcome if it was in gold. I'm assuming in a couple years they'll have some tweaks and a fine alternate. But who knows what direction this franchise is in lol.

Are the Bulls going to be the only NBA team that doesn't try to change the way we think about collars on basketball jerseys?

Don't/didn't they have different collars on their black alternates now/at some point recently?

I think for a while they had those armholes that just sort of awkwardly terminated like t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, but other than that they've been the same cut as the whites and reds, I think. The Bulls have tinkered with the black alts so many times, you wonder why they even bother in the first place. Other than introducing a Chicago script back into the fold, they don't really serve a purpose.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would like to congratulate the Utah Jazz for finally breaking the current trend of blue/lighter blue previously employed by themselves, the Memphis Grizzlies, the Dallas Mavericks, the New Orleans Hornets, and the Denver Nuggets; while simultaneously nailing every portion of their redesign except for the number font. This is how retro should be done. I can't remember the last time I metaphorically drooled over a team's new uni. (Oh, wait -- yes I can.)

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Away_Unis_Chest.jpg

Mmmmmmm.

Are the Bulls going to be the only NBA team that doesn't try to change the way we think about collars on basketball jerseys?

Don't/didn't they have different collars on their black alternates now/at some point recently?

I think for a while they had those armholes that just sort of awkwardly terminated like t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, but other than that they've been the same cut as the whites and reds, I think. The Bulls have tinkered with the black alts so many times, you wonder why they even bother in the first place. Other than introducing a Chicago script back into the fold, they don't really serve a purpose.

For the record, and if anyone cares, the Bulls did sport a V-neck for their alternates from 2001-2006.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=ugtzi8gneafgf7cevhsenjahu

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=shvzy7fq5cpkc8l2qj9afgdfm

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Horrid!!! thdoh.gif

Cavs new uniforms are IMO one of the worst in the league. HATE them

Agreed!

I used to rate the Cavs' LeBron era jerseys as one of the leagues best. These new ones are simply horrible. How in the world could they ditch the older ones for these? Seriously...WTF???? Idiots.

I don't hate the Cavs new jerseys quite as much as everyone else... I think simple works, and I think we might see that when they take the court in these... But I DON'T like how the new Uni's still have the logo of the C in the LeBron-Era font with the sword through it on the shorts... you bailed on that font so stay true to that decision. Create a new secondary logo to go on the shorts... but hey I'm rambling.

90758391980.gif

I don't hate the Cavs new jerseys quite as much as everyone else... I think simple works, and I think we might see that when they take the court in these... But I DON'T like how the new Uni's still have the logo of the C in the LeBron-Era font with the sword through it on the shorts... you bailed on that font so stay true to that decision. Create a new secondary logo to go on the shorts... but hey I'm rambling.

I agree. I think it would have been better to just keep the throwback shorts unchanged instead of replacing the side stripes with the logos. That said, I really like this uniform. I understand many of you think it's boring, uncreative and what have you, but in my opinion, a uniform is about function. A uniform is not the place for experimental creativity. It is a setting for team color, team name and player number/name. It's sole purpose is to identify the team and the player, and the Cavs' new uniform does that very well. A uniform is often judged based on what it isn't (flashy, creative or exciting), but rather, why cant it be critiqued based on what it is (classic, functional and unique to the NBA)?

Of course, these would be great if they had simply redrawn the original script:

feather.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I agree. I think it would have been better to just keep the throwback shorts unchanged instead of replacing the side stripes with the logos. That said, I really like this uniform. I understand many of you think it's boring, uncreative and what have you, but in my opinion, a uniform is about function. A uniform is not the place for experimental creativity. It is a setting for team color, team name and player number/name. It's sole purpose is to identify the team and the player, and the Cavs' new uniform does that very well. A uniform is often judged based on what it isn't (flashy, creative or exciting), but rather, why cant it be critiqued based on what it is (classic, functional and unique to the NBA)?

Of course, these would be great if they had simply redrawn the original script:

feather.png

I can't wait to buy my new lebron cavs jersey..........oh wait.....he left.....oh well, I'll just get a J.J. Hickson jersey THE NEW FACE OF THE FRANCHISE!

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Wow.

I'm really liking the collar changes.

I've always been partial to V-Necks for basketball jerseys, for the reasons posted already.

It's crazy how the V-Neck gave the Nets jerseys so much sharper looking.

I really don't see any problems with the new collars for any of the teams.

As for the Jazz unis. Very sharp. I really like the way the colors are dispersed throughout the set. I love both jerseys.

The Cavs; I like the set a lot. I love the elimination of navy. It works wonders.I like the throwback-ness of it as well. Very clean.

Oh, and I kinda like the change in pinstripes for the Hornets.

I'd like to know if teams like the heat, lakers, and pistons will have a change in collars and arm trim. I've never really been a fan of the really thin trim that they all sport.

EDIT:

Clippers new duds are nice as well. But for some reason I think they would have been nice sixers unis...?

And suprisingly I'm liking what I see from the Warriors unis so far... I love the shorts.

And I dig the Mavs new jerseys as well, atleast what I've seen. Very nice.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Oh, and I kinda like the change in pinstripes for the Hornets.

What change is this?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Besides what seems like a league-wide change to lighter weight jersey material, here's a recap:

ATL- changed from unique collar to "Hornets" collar (huge downgrade)

BOS- NO CHANGES

CHA- NO CHANGES

CHI- NO CHANGES

CLE- complete change (huge downgrade)

DAL- either replaced away jersey with tweaked alternate (minor upgrade) OR just tweaked alternate from "Mavs" to "Dallas" (minor downgrade)

DEN- NO CHANGES

DET- NO CHANGES

GS- complete change (huge downgrade, especially after the logo showed so much promise)

HOU- changed # font (minor upgrade)

IND- NO CHANGES

LAC- complete change (upgrade)

LAL- NO CHANGES

MEM- NO CHANGES

MIA- NO CHANGES

MIL- NO CHANGES

MIN- changed from unique collar to "Hornets" collar; dropped green; changed # font (overall huge upgrade)

NJ- changed from scoop to V-neck (upgrade)

NO- NO CHANGES

NY- NO CHANGES

OKC- removed orange patch from collar (minor downgrade)

ORL- added a black alternate (upgrade)

PHI- changed from unique collar to "Hornets" collar (upgrade)

PHX- changed from V-neck to "Pacers" collar (upgrade)

POR- NO CHANGES

SAC- moved front #s to center (minor upgrade)

SA- changed from scoop to V-neck (downgrade)

TOR- NO CHANGES

UTA- complete change (minor upgrade)

WAS- changed from scoop to V-neck (upgrade)

ujsignature.png

Archived