The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Whoever said there isn't a market down here for basketball is an idiot...people love the Hornets here.

Dude, Hornets are routinely near the bottom of the NBA in attendance. Last year they were 25th.

Do y'all ever love the Hornets...

It is one thing to love the Hornets and quite another thing to support the Hornets. I think it's easier for the NOLA market to support the Saints (10 games a year) compared to the Hornets (41+ games a year). As long as the Hornets have Chris Paul and a winning team they should be okay, but if he leaves or the Hornets play sub par basketball ... will there still be support?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hornets were basically giving away tickets last season and the building was a little more than half full most of the season. Funny thing is that is what the Jazz were doing in New Orleans 2 years before they moved. They were selling seats for peanuts and guess what the place was always near the bottom in attendance then too. Good Bye New Orleans ..Hello Las Vegas.

I will acknowledge that there are some similarities...they both integrate versions of Green and Yellow, but I don't think they're all that similar to the originals.

The new set can be looked at as a slightly adjusted version of the original colors, even the purple to navy; and that's what makes it work well.

I'm very pleasantly surprised at how well the navy works - it's not a jarring change from the original purple; but it makes them look less like the Lakers; and it even makes the most recent set feel like less of an outlier in retrospect.

The Timberwolves almost moved to New Orleans and renamed themselves "the Louisiana Purchase." This was in 1994, anticipating the bling fad by several years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

well you go worry about your team and we will worry about ours.....those Jazz colors have NOLA all over it....that's why they went back to it because they look better than the "mountain with the baby blue" Jazz...cmon really? Let's just hijack an identity...

As much as I love the old (now current) Jazz colors, I wouldn't say they look better than the colors they had, the Jazz just did a poor job in executing them the blue set, not to mention Jazz fans are partial to the original set.

I'm a little confused...are you saying that the original colors are somehow the same as the current colors?:

UtahJazz_FRC_1996_SOL_SRGB.png

UtahJazz_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I will acknowledge that there are some similarities...they both integrate versions of Green and Yellow, but I don't think they're all that similar to the originals.

No, I?m saying the yellow and green combo mixed with a dark navy blue that somewhat resembles purple doesn?t necessarily look better than the navy blue, baby blue, purple, and silver color combo, I just felt like their uniforms were too generic and didn?t take advantage of the color palette as well as they could have.

The Hornets were basically giving away tickets last season and the building was a little more than half full most of the season. Funny thing is that is what the Jazz were doing in New Orleans 2 years before they moved. They were selling seats for peanuts and guess what the place was always near the bottom in attendance then too. Good Bye New Orleans ..Hello Las Vegas.

I?m sorry but putting the ?arena deal talk? aside, Seattle should get a team before Vegas!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I'm sorry but putting the "arena deal talk" aside, Seattle should get a team before Vegas!

And if you put the "massive amounts of oil" aside, the Gulf would be a great place to go for a swim.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seattle has not shown that they are willing to build a new stadium and that would kill any chance of them landing a team. Las Vegas has a guy who is ready to build right now. I'm all for the return of the Sonics but are the politicians in Seattle ready to deal.

Do you know how badly Vegas? economy is sucking wind though?

I'm sorry but putting the "arena deal talk" aside, Seattle should get a team before Vegas!

And if you put the "massive amounts of oil" aside, the Gulf would be a great place to go for a swim.

thicon_lol.gif Right you are Sir, right you are!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Makes me wonder why New Orleans moved away from the more Mardi Gras themed off blue, purple and yellow combination into a generic blue and yellow setup.

I really wish the NBA would make a Mandatory home jersey to be the team's nickname, away jersey the team's city. Yes, even for the Lakers / Boston / Bulls.

Man, NBA rebrands have been painful fails (Minus the Bobcats new uniforms) lately.

The last impressive rebrand I can think of was the Grizzlies....yikes

I'm just going by actual news I've seen and I saw an article saying there is a guy who is willing to build a stadium with alot of his own money in Las Vegas. Seattle no such news.

I think they are looking for money from the public for infrastructure

My link

Yes, but will the Vegas economy be able to support a team? They need corporate dollars to buy ads and luxury boxes. They need fans who will come out and support a team.

The Las Vegas metropolitan area is 30th in size in the US. I know the NBA is moving towards the "big fish in small pond" business model, but does it have the stable population required to support a team for its first several decades? Or will this be the Pheonix Coyotes all over again?

The Las Vegas metropolitan area is 30th in size in the US. I know the NBA is moving towards the "big fish in small pond" business model, but does it have the stable population required to support a team for its first several decades? Or will this be the Pheonix Coyotes all over again?

Charlotte.

New Orleans.

Memphis.

Oklahoma City.

Salt Lake City.

According to this table, all of these cities rank below Las Vegas. Granted, most of the cities listed have had their fair share of issues, but if the NBA trusted these cities enough to host NBA franchises, then I wouldn't doubt the possibility of Las Vegas landing a team as well. In fact, Las Vegas actually ranks 6th in population growth percentage over the last decade.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Granted, most of the cities listed have had their fair share of issues

Bingo. That's hardly a list of universal slam-dunk locations.

Vegas has the same smaller-city issues, plus has a very transient population. Might be very hard to grow an appreciable fanbase there.

That may be, but I think the NBA is banking on the aforementioned growth rate of Las Vegas. None of the cities I listed have nearly as high of a growth rate percentage.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived