The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Timberwolves- On one hand the lack of green actually works. As has been pointed out before, the trees aren't green in Minnesota for most of the NBA season, and removing it gives the T-wolves a colder, more appropriate, colour scheme. On the other hand, there are two primary problems that can't be overlooked with removing the green. The first is the fact that they know look like the Mavs. Blue and green was a unique combo in the NBA. Now they look like another team ready to jump on the blue bandwagon. Secondly, the logo still uses green trees. So we have a uniform with white trees and a logo with green trees. The amount of NBA teams with visual aspects that outright clash with their logos is reaching a staggering height.

The trees on the uniform appear to be fir trees, which are evergreen- spring, summer, fall and winter.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Timberwolves- On one hand the lack of green actually works. As has been pointed out before, the trees aren't green in Minnesota for most of the NBA season, and removing it gives the T-wolves a colder, more appropriate, colour scheme. On the other hand, there are two primary problems that can't be overlooked with removing the green. The first is the fact that they know look like the Mavs. Blue and green was a unique combo in the NBA. Now they look like another team ready to jump on the blue bandwagon. Secondly, the logo still uses green trees. So we have a uniform with white trees and a logo with green trees. The amount of NBA teams with visual aspects that outright clash with their logos is reaching a staggering height.

The trees on the uniform appear to be fir trees, which are evergreen- spring, summer, fall and winter.

Not when they're covered in snow, they ain't...

Exactly.

If we're using this mindset, then the Packers should be selling white cheese hats, not yellow.

87Redskins.png

3. Being a music genre, a musical note is a perfect, regionally neutral representation for "Jazz."

Agreed if Jazz had anything remotely to do with Salt Lake City. I'm sure there are many cities where the Jazz nickname could fit but Salt Lake City has to be at the bottom of that list. It's not even a stretch, it simply doesn't match.

Green Bay Salsa anyone?

IT'S A MAJOR MUSIC GENRE!!! YOU CAN BUY GODDAMN JAZZ CDS AT ANY RETAILER IN THE COUNTRY!!! THERE IS NOTHING GEOGRAPHICALLY LIMITING ABOUT IT!!!

You might have a point if the team had started out as the Tokyo Enka and was moved to Utah, yet kept the name. Not when its one of the major genres of modern music.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

IT'S A MAJOR MUSIC GENRE!!! YOU CAN BUY GODDAMN JAZZ CDS AT ANY RETAILER IN THE COUNTRY!!! THERE IS NOTHING GEOGRAPHICALLY LIMITING ABOUT IT!!!

You might have a point if the team had started out as the Tokyo Enka and was moved to Utah, yet kept the name. Not when its one of the major genres of modern music.

As a matter of fact...

There's a Salt Lake City Jazz Festival!

And, there's jazz clubs in SLC too!

VmWIn6B.png

I don't see any lakes in Los Angeles, but that doesn't mean that they should change their name.

Finally, something Utah Jazz and L.A. Lakers fans can agree on!!

This last slew of posts just proves an earlier point I made:

When discussing team names/logos in the NBA, the probability that someone will mention the change (or the otherwise misplacement) of the Utah Jazz name will approach 1. Without fail. :rolleyes:

clapping_audience.gif

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

IT'S A MAJOR MUSIC GENRE!!! YOU CAN BUY GODDAMN JAZZ CDS AT ANY RETAILER IN THE COUNTRY!!!

I wish we could get more of it on the radio. Smooth jazz =/= jazz.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

clapping_audience.gif

You guys are too funny. Jazz music is integral to SLC since you can by jazz CDs there? I stand corrected then. SLC is the "hotbed" for jazz music in the world. Come on, that's ridiculous.

Honestly, they can name themselves whatever they want, I'm just saying it's one of the worst location/nickname combos in sports. I understand the team history, etc. I just prefer location/nicknames that are well thought out and make sense. It's part of the whole package: city, region, name, colors, mascot, uniforms, logo, etc. To simply use a name that was perfect for another city isn't a quality solution. We should demand more than that.

If a famous jazz musician moved to SLC, opened up a jazz club, it in turn became famous and then that musician moved an NBA team to SLC and named it the Jazz after the famous jazz club in the city, then it would be a great name.

See the difference?

clapping_audience.gif

You guys are too funny. Jazz music is integral to SLC since you can by jazz CDs there? I stand corrected then. SLC is the "hotbed" for jazz music in the world. Come on, that's ridiculous.

Honestly, they can name themselves whatever they want, I'm just saying it's one of the worst location/nickname combos in sports. I understand the team history, etc. I just prefer location/nicknames that are well thought out and make sense. It's part of the whole package: city, region, name, colors, mascot, uniforms, logo, etc. To simply use a name that was perfect for another city isn't a quality solution. We should demand more than that.

If a famous jazz musician moved to SLC, opened up a jazz club, it in turn became famous and then that musician moved an NBA team to SLC and named it the Jazz after the famous jazz club in the city, then it would be a great name.

See the difference?

I think you should come to terms with the fact that teams that move will sometimes take team names with them (as is their right).

clapping_audience.gif

See the difference?

No, not really. But then I'm not a modern Bohemian either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Actually, the best jazz is from New York City, and knickers are a kind of pants that Mormon women are presumably forbidden to wear, so it's a PERFECT SWAP!

(Booooo!)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived