The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

A question about Dallas: are those new royal unis they have now the primary roads, and will the navy ones even still be used as alts? Also, did the Cavs keep a navy alt with this new uni set, a la the NBA 2K10 image at the top of the linked page?

http://downloads.moddingway.com/file/4908.html

1 - The new royal unis are now the primary ones, and the navy ones have been mothballed, I'm assuming.

2 - Whenever a team changes unis in the NBA, they have to wait a a year or two before unveiling an alt. So that's probably just a fan creation.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A question about Dallas: are those new royal unis they have now the primary roads, and will the navy ones even still be used as alts? Also, did the Cavs keep a navy alt with this new uni set, a la the NBA 2K10 image at the top of the linked page?

1 - The new royal unis are now the primary ones, and the navy ones have been mothballed, I'm assuming.

2 - Whenever a team changes unis in the NBA, they have to wait a a year or two before unveiling an alt. So that's probably just a fan creation.

Shame Dallas is getting rid of the navys, unless they had good reason (were the fans tiring of them?).

Yeah, I realize Cleveland's having an alt already would be a flagrant violation of that rule, but was wondering if maybe they somehow got a pass or something ^_^ . Interestingly enough, I've always wondered how the Blazers were able to introduce their red alt in the '02-'03 season, in which they also altered the home and primary road unis. Maybe the NBA didn't consider their changes significant enough, more like tweaks.

By the way, which teams other than Orlando and NO are getting new alts this year (if this was already discussed, I missed it)? As far as I can remember, both the Kings and Wolves are due for them, and I would assume black in both cases. Anyone know anything about this?

I've heard from multiple somewhat reliable sources that the T'wolves are getting alternates this season.

Also, I didn't know the Hornets are getting alternates - any idea what color? I'm assuming either purple or yellow?

The jerseys are actually in Mardi Gras colors?take a look:

http://www.hornets247.com/news/lagniappe/2009/11/17/mardi-gras-jerseys

Also kinda wondering if the Wizards have anything in the works, either for this season or the next. Funny they've never had a black alt, which seems like a no-brainer for them. I remember some people on the board doing some really cool concepts for a black Wiz alt, too.

I heard from a source that the old road blues will become the new alternates with the diddy style font instead, which will make it the second time the diddy jersey has changed colors.

It MIGHT look something like this: mavsalternate2010.png

I've heard from multiple somewhat reliable sources that the T'wolves are getting alternates this season.

Also, I didn't know the Hornets are getting alternates - any idea what color? I'm assuming either purple or yellow?

The jerseys are actually in Mardi Gras colors?take a look:

http://www.hornets247.com/news/lagniappe/2009/11/17/mardi-gras-jerseys

From what I've heard, the Hornets' new alt will be gold with purple pinstripes. Yikes. No word as to whether the Mardi Gras alts will be worn as well.

NBA.com has a load of features about the new unis, including a slideshow of uni progression throughout the years. It'd be a nice feature, except it's full of errors. Then again, what do you expect from the one major sport that completely disregards it's own history?

Also kinda wondering if the Wizards have anything in the works, either for this season or the next. Funny they've never had a black alt, which seems like a no-brainer for them. I remember some people on the board doing some really cool concepts for a black Wiz alt, too.

nba_jersey10b.jpg

Not an official alt, just a fashion/fan created jersey. But I remember back when I went to the Basketball Hall Of Fame one day I saw 2 Black Wizards jerseys in the same building(One Jordan, one Hughes), so I'm guessing they were kind of popular. I personally think they should go with Gold again, as Black is boring now. But I haven't heard of any plans for an alt, probably because it's well known that they're considering a color change/rebranding/new name.

Sounds like several of the adidas schools such as Kansas, Louisville, UCLA and Michigan will be wearing the new material as well. I'd assume UCLA, Michigan and possibly Indiana will have their traditional design with the new material but I wonder if some of the others will be getting a redesign. Of course Louisville does every year.

I don't know how to post pictures, but check out the Celtics uniforms, from the recent photos of the rookie shoot as well as on NBA.com. Is it just me or does the wordmark on the jerseys look HUGE?

Forgive me in advance if this has already been mentioned somewhere else and I just missed it.

The new uniforms are a slimmer, more fitted cut, which probably makes the wordmarks look larger even if they aren't any larger, physically.

I respectfully disagree. Look at these photos towards the bottom. The Celtics wordmark definitely looks much bigger. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Scenes-from-the-2010-rookie-photo-shoot?urn=nba-263124

All alternate situations, not counting "heritage" uniforms or St. Patrick's Day uniforms, by my count:

ATL- Red, '09

BOS- Green, '05

CHA- Eligible in '11

CHI- Black, '95

CLE- Eligible in '12

DAL- Had a Royal alt since '09, but switched that to primary, so are they eligible now?

DEN- Navy, '05

DET- Eligible now

GSW- Eligible in '12

HOU- Red, '09

IND- Yellow, '07

LAC- Eligible in '12

LAL- White, '01

MEM- Beale St. Blue, '09

MIA- Red, '01

MIL- Red, '08

MIN- Eligible this year, but tweaked unis this year, so maybe in '12.

NJ- Red alt switched to primary in '09. Eligible now or in '11?

NO- Eligible now

NYK- Eligible now

OKC- Eligible now

ORL- Black, '10

PHI- Eligible in '11

PHX- Orange, '03

POR- Red, '02

SAC- Eligible now

SA- Eligible now

TOR- Black, '08

WAS- Eligible now

UTA- Eligible in '12

Will the Thunder and Kings get alts?

I don't know how to post pictures, but check out the Celtics uniforms, from the recent photos of the rookie shoot as well as on NBA.com. Is it just me or does the wordmark on the jerseys look HUGE?

Forgive me in advance if this has already been mentioned somewhere else and I just missed it.

The new uniforms are a slimmer, more fitted cut, which probably makes the wordmarks look larger even if they aren't any larger, physically.

I respectfully disagree. Look at these photos towards the bottom. The Celtics wordmark definitely looks much bigger. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Scenes-from-the-2010-rookie-photo-shoot?urn=nba-263124

If it is larger, it's only slightly larger, because the NBA logo is still about the same size as the counter of the S and the CELTICS script is still just a little bit wider than a double digit jersey number and the height of the wordmark is still a little taller than the distance from the players chin to his nose. The jerseys are, however, much more fitted, which does in fact exaggerate the size.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

All alternate situations, not counting "heritage" uniforms or St. Patrick's Day uniforms, by my count:

ATL- Red, '09

BOS- Green, '05

CHA- Eligible in '11

CHI- Black, '95

CLE- Eligible in '12

DAL- Had a Royal alt since '09, but switched that to primary, so are they eligible now?

DEN- Navy, '05

DET- Red, '06

GSW- Eligible in '12

HOU- Red, '09

IND- Yellow, '07

LAC- Eligible in '12

LAL- White, '01

MEM- Beale St. Blue, '09

MIA- Red, '01

MIL- Red, '08

NO- Mardi Gras Multicolored, '09

NYK- Eligible now

OKC- Eligible now

ORL- Black, '10

PHI- Eligible in '11

PHX- Orange, '03

POR- Red, '02

SAC- Eligible now

SA- Eligible now

TOR- Black, '08

WAS- Eligible now

UTA- Eligible in '12

The Hornets' Mardi Gras jersey is not an alternate. It is a special edition jersey, like the CavFanatic or the Racing Night program. The Hornets are eligible for (and will be getting) a new alternate this season, which was described above in greater detail.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

ATL- Red, '09

BOS- Green, '05

CHA- Eligible in '11

CHI- Black, '95

CLE- Eligible in '12

DEN- Navy, '05

DET- Red, '06

GSW- Eligible in '12

HOU- Red, '09

IND- Yellow, '07

LAC- Eligible in '12

LAL- White, '01

MEM- Beale St. Blue, '09

MIA- Red, '01

MIL- Red, '08

NYK- Eligible now

OKC- Eligible now

ORL- Black, '10

PHI- Eligible in '11

PHX- Orange, '03

POR- Red, '02

SAC- Eligible now

SA- Eligible now

TOR- Black, '08

WAS- Eligible now

UTA- Eligible in '12

Just an FYI, I'm 99% sure that the Pistons canned their red alt.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

ATL- Red, '09

BOS- Green, '05

CHA- Eligible in '11

CHI- Black, '95

CLE- Eligible in '12

DEN- Navy, '05

DET- Red, '06

GSW- Eligible in '12

HOU- Red, '09

IND- Yellow, '07

LAC- Eligible in '12

LAL- White, '01

MEM- Beale St. Blue, '09

MIA- Red, '01

MIL- Red, '08

NYK- Eligible now

OKC- Eligible now

ORL- Black, '10

PHI- Eligible in '11

PHX- Orange, '03

POR- Red, '02

SAC- Eligible now

SA- Eligible now

TOR- Black, '08

WAS- Eligible now

UTA- Eligible in '12

Nitpicking, but I seem to recall the Lakers' white alt not showing up until the 2002 season. Or was that when the alternate logo first showed up?

As for the Lakers year, I just went by this site, which says '01-'02, same with the Pistons' alts. I thought they had been canned, but the site said they were still active, so I thought maybe technically they were still around. I'll update with changes.

Any answers about the underlined teams?

Archived