The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

well you go worry about your team and we will worry about ours.....those Jazz colors have NOLA all over it....that's why they went back to it because they look better than the "mountain with the baby blue" Jazz...cmon really? Let's just hijack an identity...

As much as I love the old (now current) Jazz colors, I wouldn?t say they look better than the colors they had, the Jazz just did a poor job in executing them the blue set, not to mention Jazz fans are partial to the original set.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring on the new era of "The Hornets and Thunder should switch so that Seattle gets the Supersonics back and Oklahoma City gets the Hornets back"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bring on the new era of "The Hornets and Thunder should switch so that Seattle gets the Supersonics back and Oklahoma City gets the Hornets back"

How about we just kill the Hornets name all together and let it disappear into NBA oblivion! :D

How about we just kill the Hornets name all together and let it disappear into NBA oblivion! :D

I second that.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Would be great. As a diehard SuperSonics fan I will always HATE the Thunder. Will never get over that. If they became the Hornets and we got the Sonics again, we'd not only have our rightful team again but the horrible feelings that the name Thunder brings up would be subdued somewhat.

Would be great. As a diehard SuperSonics fan I will always HATE the Thunder. Will never get over that. If they became the Hornets and we got the Sonics again, we'd not only have our rightful team again but the horrible feelings that the name Thunder brings up would be subdued somewhat.

Hell, I?m a die hard Jazz fan and back when the Jazz and Sonics were rivals, I hated the Sonics with a passion, but despite all that, I would never wish for a city to lose their franchise and that?s why the Thunder will always be one of the top on my list of least favorite teams. There?s a right way to get an NBA team and there?s a wrong way, and we all know which way they did it.

Speaking of all this, what?s the latest on the New Arena Status in the Seattle area?

There is no status.

So if I?m not mistaken, David Stern gave Seattle 5 years in order to build a new arena for a relocating/new franchise to be located in Seattle. What happens if Seattle doesn?t accomplish this feat, they just don?t get an NBA franchise in the foreseeable future?

Hell, I?m a die hard Jazz fan and back when the Jazz and Sonics were rivals, I hated the Sonics with a passion, but despite all that, I would never wish for a city to lose their franchise and that?s why the Thunder will always be one of the top on my list of least favorite teams. There?s a right way to get an NBA team and there?s a wrong way, and we all know which way they did it.

Speaking of all this, what?s the latest on the New Arena Status in the Seattle area?

[/quo

New Orleans did support the JAZZ you have no idea what hyou are talking about. and you kept the name because you are culture-less and this change proves it.....Hell if the Hornets did leave I should just pull for the New Orleans Jazz who happen to play in Utah....there is so much jazz in Utah..and the mardi Gras colors so adequately fit your state....

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

the team left that place and became a great team with a rabid fan base something that never existed in New Orleans.

Say good bye to the Hornets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody goes to the games and you have Chris Paul playing there you simp.

I have to agree. Utah Jazz fans have been at least 10x better fans than New Orleans Jazz fans.

In all reality though, I just don't think NOLA has the market to support an NBA team longterm, especially if Chris Paul demands a trade or leaves via FA.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

New Orleans did support the JAZZ you have no idea what hyou are talking about. and you kept the name because you are culture-less and this change proves it.....Hell if the Hornets did leave I should just pull for the New Orleans Jazz who happen to play in Utah....there is so much jazz in Utah..and the mardi Gras colors so adequately fit your state....

Was this directed towards me? Sort of seemed like you hit Reply on the wrong post.

And for the record, I'm not bashing New Orleans or their abilities of supporting a franchise at all. I do however think if the Hornets to relocate, they need to ditch the name! Aside from that, nobody is saying there's any Jazz music in Utah, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that. Salt Lake City was very fortunate to get an NBA team in '79 and we're still lucky to have one to this day. They probably should have changed the name back then but they didn't, it stuck, and unfortunately for the city of New Orleans the name "Jazz" is here to stay.

There is no status.

So if I?m not mistaken, David Stern gave Seattle 5 years in order to build a new arena for a relocating/new franchise to be located in Seattle. What happens if Seattle doesn?t accomplish this feat, they just don?t get an NBA franchise in the foreseeable future?

If I was Seattle I wouldn't deal with Stern. He helped the team leave in a very sleazy manner because Seattle wouldn't pony up for a new arena. Okay, I understand that. Then he says "if you build a new arena we can talk." If they were going to build a new arena they wouldn't have this problem in the first place. He then said Seattle could get back in the NBA's good graces by making concessions to the WNBA team, the Storm. You take their NBA team and then tell them they can get another team back in 5 years if they throw money into the bottomless pit of crap that is the WNBA? That would have been where I drew the line. I would have told Stern to go **** himself and let the Storm know they were evicted as soon as their lease was up.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

well you go worry about your team and we will worry about ours.....those Jazz colors have NOLA all over it....that's why they went back to it because they look better than the "mountain with the baby blue" Jazz...cmon really? Let's just hijack an identity...

As much as I love the old (now current) Jazz colors, I wouldn't say they look better than the colors they had, the Jazz just did a poor job in executing them the blue set, not to mention Jazz fans are partial to the original set.

I'm a little confused...are you saying that the original colors are somehow the same as the current colors?:

UtahJazz_FRC_1996_SOL_SRGB.png

UtahJazz_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I will acknowledge that there are some similarities...they both integrate versions of Green and Yellow, but I don't think they're all that similar to the originals.

How about, radical idea here, all the teams keep their identities? Sound good? Good.

Anyway, regarding the new slew of NBA uniform changes....

Timberwolves- On one hand the lack of green actually works. As has been pointed out before, the trees aren't green in Minnesota for most of the NBA season, and removing it gives the T-wolves a colder, more appropriate, colour scheme. On the other hand, there are two primary problems that can't be overlooked with removing the green. The first is the fact that they know look like the Mavs. Blue and green was a unique combo in the NBA. Now they look like another team ready to jump on the blue bandwagon. Secondly, the logo still uses green trees. So we have a uniform with white trees and a logo with green trees. The amount of NBA teams with visual aspects that outright clash with their logos is reaching a staggering height.

Jazz- I admit, I love the 90s mountain look, and I think it really could have worked as a timeless look had they slowly phased out some of the more 90s elements but kept the greater look intact. That being said, the new uniforms look decent. They fixed the incorrect ball on the J/note logo and everything on the uniforms fits together well. I still don't like the fact that the blue and green don't have enough contrast, but the uniforms themselves look sharp enough. The problem is that the uniforms and logo clash. Keeping the mountain/ball logo was a HUGE mistake, not to mention that this logo is now in its second recolouring. It's like the boom box the New Age Outlaws would use when they were WWF Tag Team champs. They won't let the damn thing die. If the Jazz had their hearts set on returning to the J/note look, then commit to that look. Now we have a team with a primary that clashes in almost every way with the team's uniforms.

Warriors- They hit a home run with the new/old colours and the shorts, I'll give them that. The logo, though, is awful. From the generic font, to the off-centre outline, to the fact that it homages one of the worst, in my opinion, Warriors looks ever (The City look), it's all garbage. I would keep the shorts as a subtle homage to The City look, and use an updated version of this logothis logo as the primary. Also going with either "Oakland Warriors" or "San Fransisco Warriors" would be another marked improvement.

Clippers- I like that they fixed the problems with the old logo. The problem is that the new logo, while better, is still a Lakers rip-off, and it clashes with the script used on the uniforms. The uniforms themselves are close, but no cigar. I like the new striping pattern. The Lakers have a very traditional uniform design, so going with a more modern design is to the Clippers' benefit. The problems are two-fold. The first is the LAC logo. It's to prominent. They should have either shrunk it or relegated it to above the nameplate on the back. The second is the number font. It's possibly the worst choice they could have gone with. The jersey script is classic, round, fluid. The numbers are modern boxy. Right there we have an aesthetic clash. The colouring is also a mess. The script follows a simple two outline pattern. The numbers have a thin outline followed by a thicker one. The thinner, inner, outline is almost invisible when the uniforms are not right in front of you, giving the illusion that the numbers only contain a single outline, in contrast to the script. Standard two layer block would have been the way to go here. If they can fix the number problem and integrate the uniform script into the primary logo the Clippers will be one sharply dressed team. As it is, though, they've fallen short.

Cavaliers- Oh boy. I like traditional uniforms. I like what some here decry as "simple and boring." To me no baseball team looks better then the New York Yankees, no hockey team looks better then the Montreal Canadiens. That being said, the Cavs really crossed the line from classic to boring. The last set, when worn correctly (white at home, wine on the road, and navy alts used sparingly) was a modern classic, one of the best in the NBA. One of the few instances when a modern uniform hit all the notes perfectly. Everything looked great, all the logos and script matched. Now? They've gone with almost a generic uniform design, a wordmark that looked like it was created in MS Word, and a huge aesthetic discrepancy. We see the familiar NBA trend of uniforms not matching logos. First, the logo, being a recolour of the last logo, still uses the old wordmark, while the uniforms use the new one. Secondly the logo uses ample amounts of navy blue while navy is almost gone from the uniforms. The uniforms still use the old style C logo as an alternate, but clashes with the new C used in the wordmarks. Finally the new colour scheme is just a downgrade. The new red and gold seem way to loud in comparison to the old wine and old gold. I just don't think the new scheme works as well as the old one.

Finally the James argument. Many have argued that since the LeBron James era has ended the Cavaliers needed a new look to make a clean break. This is ridiculous for two reasons. The first is the fact that the NBA requires notification for uniform changes two years in advance. The Cavs were going to go to this new look whether James left or stayed. Secondly, James never won a championship with the Cavaliers. So there's no need to visually separate his era from the next one.

Whoever said there isn't a market down here for basketball is an idiot...people love the Hornets here.

Dude, Hornets are routinely near the bottom of the NBA in attendance. Last year they were 25th.

Do y'all ever love the Hornets...

Archived