2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Zealand appear to be the 16th team to not win the World Cup, without losing a game at the World Cup (and just the fourth to not make it out of the first group stage without a loss).

1974 Scotland (1-2-0)

1978 Brazil (4-3-0)

1982 Cameroon (0-3-0)

1982 England (3-2-0)

1986 Brazil (4-1-0)

1986 Mexico (3-2-0)

1990 Italy (6-1-0)

1998 Belgium (0-3-0)

1998 Italy (3-2-0)

2002 Ireland (1-3-0)

2002 Spain (3-2-0)

2006 Switzerland (2-2-0)

2006 Argentina (3-2-0)

2006 England (3-2-0)

2006 France (4-3-0)

2010 New Zealand (0-3-0)

LvZYtbZ.png

The 1990 England team also were undefeated, drawing against Ireland and Holland and beating Egypt in the group stages before beating Belgium and Cameron and then losing a penalty shoot out in the Semis to Germany.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The 1990 England team also were undefeated, drawing against Ireland and Holland and beating Egypt in the group stages before beating Belgium and Cameron and then losing a penalty shoot out in the Semis to Germany.

But England did lose a game in that World Cup - to Italy.

LvZYtbZ.png

While New Zealand wasn't able to advance this will help the sport grow by leaps and bounds back home. Unlike '82 they were able to compete in all their games and did themselves proud. To bad they couldn't grab a goal today but the country is proud of what these boys did, all my family in New Zealand have said there is already calls for parades and rallies to honour them.

Good on them for admiring unanticipated and unexpected success! Here's hoping the All-Whites will build on this performance in 2014.

Also the uncertainty over the Italian goal blocked off the line just adds more chatter to the use of replay and technology.

I don't think it was in. Plus there was no real good replay that showed if the whole ball crossed the line or not. I'm not a fan of replay. Maybe a computer chip in the ball like they are supposed to be designing for the NFL, but not replay.

Hold up--time out.......what?? :blink:

Yeah, I've heard of this. Some people want the NFL to put a chip in the football so that it would be easier to determine whether or not the ball crossed the plane when it comes to close touchdown calls. If they can figure out how to make that work, it doesn't sound like such a bad idea...especially considering how the NFL is when it comes to wanting to standardize everydamnthing.

The problem, much like hockey, is that the ball will not necessarily be parallel to the ground when it breaks the plane. Any chip will have to account for that. It's not as simple as just putting a sensor at each end of the ball as that may not be the part that crosses the line first.

Well, let's look back at Groups E and F.

-Paraguay wins the group and continues what has been one of the biggest theme so far in the World Cup: The South American nations dominating this competition. The five South American nations are a combined 10-0-3 in the Group Stage and both Brazil and Chile remain for their final games.

-The performance of Slovakia today is historic. As people have said, this is Slovakia's first World Cup as an independent nation. I bolded this part because FIFA includes the records of Czechoslovakia in the records of both the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Knocking off the defending World Champions in Italy is by far the biggest win in Slovakia's soccer history. They better enjoy this because they're running into a Orange colored buzzsaw in the Round of 16.

-New Zealand's performance is great not just for the country, but for Oceania itself. Oceania lost a powerful team when Australia moved to Asia's confederation because it's easier to qualify for the World Cup in Asia as it is to qualify from Oceania (That region is the first to compete in qualifying games, then you have to wait about two some years before playing Asia's 5th place team in a Intercontinental Playoff) and the competition in Asia is far stronger. Still, New Zealand has to be proud of their performance.

-Italy, on the other hand, has to be disappointed. The defending champions bite the big one largely because of age and the inability to catch up. They had problems against Paraguay when they scored first. Problems against New Zealand when they scored first and once again today, Slovakia strikes first and Italy had to play catch up. You aren't going to win if you play catch up.

-The Netherlands might be the most complete team so far from Europe competing. Yep, more complete then Portugal or Spain right now. The Dutch are the only team so far to win all three group games in their group. That's how good they are right now.

-Japan might be the best Asian team in the World Cup. You see, the other Asian teams had some bad (and in the case of North Korea and Australia, really bad) games. While South Korea could only muster a tie with Nigeria, Japan flew out of the gates and ran over Denmark rather quickly. It is about what Japan did after losing to The Netherlands that makes them the best of the four Asian teams competing right now.

-Denmark had their chances, but as I said before Japan just blew them away early and the Danes just couldn't recover. For a country that doesn't have much of a soccer history, this might feel like a disappointment, but considering what happened, I think Denmark could have something brewing for Euro 2012.

-As I have mentioned before, the African nations have been very disappointing and none have been massively disappointing then Cameroon and their Indomitable Lions. A winless performance in Group play for a nation that was the gold standard for Africa after they broke through and reached the Quarterfinals in 1990. What the hell happened? Are these Lions actually toothless?

Now, it's the last question time before the Knockout Stage:

-Does Brazil rest their stars against Portugal?

-Can Christiano Ronaldo create another highlight reel goal for Portugal?

-Does anyone give a damn about North Korea vs. Ivory Coast?

-Matter of fact, can Ivory Coast even make up a gigantic 9 goal difference?

-Can Chile continue the South American dominance so far?

-Does Spain have a surprise in wait for Chile?

-Can the Swiss take down Honduras and advance?

-Can Honduras do anything outside of getting their asses kicked?

Well, let's look back at Groups E and F.

-Paraguay wins the group and continues what has been one of the biggest theme so far in the World Cup: The South American nations dominating this competition. The five South American nations are a combined 10-0-3 in the Group Stage and both Brazil and Chile remain for their final games.

-The performance of Slovakia today is historic. As people have said, this is Slovakia's first World Cup as an independent nation. I bolded this part because FIFA includes the records of Czechoslovakia in the records of both the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Knocking off the defending World Champions in Italy is by far the biggest win in Slovakia's soccer history. They better enjoy this because they're running into a Orange colored buzzsaw in the Round of 16.

-New Zealand's performance is great not just for the country, but for Oceania itself. Oceania lost a powerful team when Australia moved to Asia's confederation because it's easier to qualify for the World Cup in Asia as it is to qualify from Oceania (That region is the first to compete in qualifying games, then you have to wait about two some years before playing Asia's 5th place team in a Intercontinental Playoff) and the competition in Asia is far stronger. Still, New Zealand has to be proud of their performance.

-Italy, on the other hand, has to be disappointed. The defending champions bite the big one largely because of age and the inability to catch up. They had problems against Paraguay when they scored first. Problems against New Zealand when they scored first and once again today, Slovakia strikes first and Italy had to play catch up. You aren't going to win if you play catch up.

-The Netherlands might be the most complete team so far from Europe competing. Yep, more complete then Portugal or Spain right now. The Dutch are the only team so far to win all three group games in their group. That's how good they are right now.

-Japan might be the best Asian team in the World Cup. You see, the other Asian teams had some bad (and in the case of North Korea and Australia, really bad) games. While South Korea could only muster a tie with Nigeria, Japan flew out of the gates and ran over Denmark rather quickly. It is about what Japan did after losing to The Netherlands that makes them the best of the four Asian teams competing right now.

-Denmark had their chances, but as I said before Japan just blew them away early and the Danes just couldn't recover. For a country that doesn't have much of a soccer history, this might feel like a disappointment, but considering what happened, I think Denmark could have something brewing for Euro 2012.

-As I have mentioned before, the African nations have been very disappointing and none have been massively disappointing then Cameroon and their Indomitable Lions. A winless performance in Group play for a nation that was the gold standard for Africa after they broke through and reached the Quarterfinals in 1990. What the hell happened? Are these Lions actually toothless?

Now, it's the last question time before the Knockout Stage:

No, They still haven't locked up first place and Portugal may be their biggest rival outside of South America (Colonization matters). Look what the Dutch did today obvisouly they have to replace Kaka that's the only change in the Starting XI I expect.

I think he has too but win or lose the chances of Portugal playing Spain next round are fairly high.

Africa does and I expect Didier Drogba to do everything in his power to try and make the Ivory Coast advance, even if it is next to impossible.

Even against North Korea they don't have nearly enough firepower all around like Portugal did, Sadly Ivory Coast won't move on.

Chile's good have they impressed me not really, Only 1 goal against Honduras and only 1 goal against the Swiss. I don't think they have the offense to compete with Spain tomorrow.

Yes, I expect a two goal win as El Nino finally gets in on the party.

They need offense and if Alex Frei is healthy he needs to enter beast mode because this group WILL be decided by Goal Differential.

Well all they can do is go out on top and play spoiler, I don't expect an ass kicking from the Swiss though.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Also the uncertainty over the Italian goal blocked off the line just adds more chatter to the use of replay and technology.

I don't think it was in. Plus there was no real good replay that showed if the whole ball crossed the line or not. I'm not a fan of replay. Maybe a computer chip in the ball like they are supposed to be designing for the NFL, but not replay.

Hold up--time out.......what?? :blink:

Yeah, I've heard of this. Some people want the NFL to put a chip in the football so that it would be easier to determine whether or not the ball crossed the plane when it comes to close touchdown calls. If they can figure out how to make that work, it doesn't sound like such a bad idea...especially considering how the NFL is when it comes to wanting to standardize everydamnthing.

The problem, much like hockey, is that the ball will not necessarily be parallel to the ground when it breaks the plane. Any chip will have to account for that. It's not as simple as just putting a sensor at each end of the ball as that may not be the part that crosses the line first.

the other slight issue is that in soccer the whole of tha ball has to have crossed the whole of the line. The plane that needs to be broken is a ball's width behind the goal line. My guess is that there are cheaper and easier methods of technology to use.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Have they ever looked into have 2 referees like the NHL does? That would make it alot easier on the center official and IMO has improved the quality of play in the NHL.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

It's going to be tough on Saturday. My girlfriend and a lot of her Peace Corps friends all spent two years in West Africa, including several visits to Ghana. Having been in that part of the world myself (for a month), I probably won't be able to keep myself from pulling for Ghana to pull off the upset.

I know that sentiment might be un-Amurrcan, but I think it's the right cultural choice.

Right cultural choice? Huh?

...ok. Whatever.

He didn't get the "Downer David" tag for nothing.

Why would he resist a chance to piss on our nationalistic pride?

It's weird that you would equate my preference for a soccer team with "pissing on your nationalistic pride." I can't tell if your being tounge in cheek, like I was with the "cultural choice" comment, or if you're serious. Either way, it's just a preference for one game.

Still, before we play the "poor Ghana" and "upset" cards, let us once again consider what happened in 2006. The Black Stars must go down.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Have they ever looked into have 2 referees like the NHL does? That would make it alot easier on the center official and IMO has improved the quality of play in the NHL.

Remember: When it comes to FIFA, common sense hurts...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived