TV Graphics Packages

kmccarthy27

I had a question that has been bugging me recently. Why does the NFL not have consistent TV graphics on all TV networks. Fox, CBS, NBC, NFLN and ESPN all have different graphics packages. When I watch the EPL Soccer it does not matter what channel FSC, ESPN, or FS+ its the same graphics package and I know they are not all shown on the same channel in England. With the NFL streamlining all the playoff logos and such this season why has the NFL not tried to do something like this? I am assuming soccer leagues have done this for a while....

Kevin

Actually, I believe the Premiership feeds with the same graphics packages are league-run feeds that are sent out internationally. I believe I've seen screenshots of different TV stations that are broadcasting games in the UK (i.e. Sky Sports, Setanta), and they each have their own graphics packages.

The FOX regional networks do this and some conferences do it, too -- SEC syndicated regional broadcasts use the same graphics package, regardless of whether it's on Fox Sports South, CSS, CST, etc. The defunct Baseball Network of 1994 and '95 used standard graphics between NBC and ABC, IIRC.

As for the NFL, all of these networks pay humongous rights fees, and I would think they'd prefer to have their own identity. I don't think CBS wants to share the same look as FOX, and vice versa.

Does the NFL send it out internationally that way?

Don't know for sure. I know MLB does, though, at least for the World Series. We've been getting the international feed of the WS up here in Canada on Rogers Sportsnet the past few years now, with different graphics and different announcers than Fox.

Actually, I believe the Premiership feeds with the same graphics packages are league-run feeds that are sent out internationally. I believe I've seen screenshots of different TV stations that are broadcasting games in the UK (i.e. Sky Sports, Setanta), and they each have their own graphics packages.

This is true. Occasionally ESPN2 has used the ESPN UK feed instead of Premier League international feed, which has different graphics. Also, as you said if you pull up a screen shot of the Sky Sports feed the graphics are different.

I believe almost all the major leagues over here do that as well for their international feeds (I know MLB does, as well as the NHL for the Cup final). International broadcasters are not going to want to produce their own telecast of the game because of the expense (and ratings not being enough to justify it). Domestically broadcasters do want to produce their own telecast in order to put their brand on it.

The FOX regional networks do this and some conferences do it, too -- SEC syndicated regional broadcasts use the same graphics package, regardless of whether it's on Fox Sports South, CSS, CST, etc. The defunct Baseball Network of 1994 and '95 used standard graphics between NBC and ABC, IIRC.

As for the NFL, all of these networks pay humongous rights fees, and I would think they'd prefer to have their own identity. I don't think CBS wants to share the same look as FOX, and vice versa.

Recently, as part of a corporate restructuring at News Corp., David Hill and Ed Goren (the heads of the Fox Sports division) were taking more control of their cable sports networks, which is now part of the reason that you're seeing the Fox Sports logo on the mic flags and on-screen bugs instead of "FSN", when you're watching a FSN telecast. For years, the broadcast sports side was ran separately from the cable side, thus the reason you rarely seen in-telecast cross-promotion between Fox Sports and FSN.

I had a question that has been bugging me recently. Why does the NFL not have consistent TV graphics on all TV networks. Fox, CBS, NBC, NFLN and ESPN all have different graphics packages. When I watch the EPL Soccer it does not matter what channel FSC, ESPN, or FS+ its the same graphics package and I know they are not all shown on the same channel in England. With the NFL streamlining all the playoff logos and such this season why has the NFL not tried to do something like this? I am assuming soccer leagues have done this for a while....

Kevin

Do we really need consistent NFL graphics across all TV networks? I'm afraid if it did happen, we'd all be stuck with something really crappy. At least with different graphics packages, there's a competition to come up with best design.

While some people may like that the various leagues have exclusivity with uniform providers, I think the EPL at least has is right to not force teams to use a single kit provider. Now if only the EPL would let teams used whatever number styles they want--like what we get to see in international cup and club competitions.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

on a side note,

check out the new fox nfl package:

http://motionographer.com/nfl-on-fox-sports-redesign-by-michael-cina-qa/

Note: this is NOT a new graphics set for Fox. The link goes to an interview with someone who Fox commissioned to come up with a new look a few years ago, and includes some mockups. Fox decided to go in a different direction.

Yeah.. I've been an Avid editor with a Fox Regional for almost a decade and I have yet to see that graphics package come across my desk. Interesting read, though. I'm glad is was posted.

on a side note,

check out the new fox nfl package:

http://motionographer.com/nfl-on-fox-sports-redesign-by-michael-cina-qa/

Note: this is NOT a new graphics set for Fox. The link goes to an interview with someone who Fox commissioned to come up with a new look a few years ago, and includes some mockups. Fox decided to go in a different direction.

Thank God. Those are some cheap looking graphics.

Β 

BB52Big.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

Kevin

Do we really need consistent NFL graphics across all TV networks? I'm afraid if it did happen, we'd all be stuck with something really crappy. At least with different graphics packages, there's a competition to come up with best design.

While some people may like that the various leagues have exclusivity with uniform providers, I think the EPL at least has is right to not force teams to use a single kit provider. Now if only the EPL would let teams used whatever number styles they want--like what we get to see in international cup and club competitions.

I believe almost all football (soccer) leagues do the uniform number styles. It does not bother me because when they go to the styles they want they look pretty generic. I do not like Chelsea's UCL numbers for one.

Archived