NY Knicks Concept

ltj009

Okay, so I have been pretty quietly (I think this is my 21st post) following this board religiously for about 5 years. I recently discovered Inkscape and have finally mustered up the courage to make a concept... Anyway, I wanted to do something with the Knicks 'NYK' circle logo. I also wanted to try to avoid black at all costs. Below is my concept idea for a Knicks Home Jersey with a slight re-coloration of their current primary and manipulation of the 'NYK' circle logo. I used all elements of the primary (basketball, 'New York') for the logos and uniform elements. I tried to keep things fairly simple overall.

That being said... I am very open to any and all of your C&C. I have been around these boards many a times and trust the keen eyes and opinions of those in this community. As I get more comfortable in Inkscape, I can hopefully get as close as possible to the standards expected of concepts on this board. This concept is a work in progress, and I am anxious for your input to make it better.

P.S. Thanks to gingerbreadmann for the Tutiorials and Scott Springer for the template.

So without further adieu...

KNICKS_CONCEPT_DRAFT1.png

My quick thoughts...

• If anyone wants to fill me in on how to correctly represent the logos on the front/back view of the shorts, it would be much appreciated.
  • I have mixed feelings about the numbers, let me know what you think.
  • I have a bunch of different color combinations of the logos above.. I'll get those posted for your thoughts.
  • Let's see how this goes and then I'll begin work on away, alternate, etc.
  • Side panels?

Thanks,

LSD

ltj009.png

The elimination of black is obviously the most interesting part of this concept, and I think with what you had to work with you did a great job, especially for being new to the game. I like the new uniforms much better than your old home one. It would be nice to see a player name on the back though. I love the third jersey as well, the blue alternate logo looks great on the orange jersey as a wordmark.

I don't like the elimination of your revised main logo from being the main logo, as I think the circled NYK logo is best suited for an alternate logo. I also love the gray 'Knicks' wordmark. Great job!

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

I've always like the Knicks' alternate "NYK" logo. Don't know if it fits well as a breastplate, but I think the white concept (in your last post) looks clean and slick. The team is due for an update and it's a nice look.

The blue...to me looks too Liberty-esque. Maybe it's because the color is a bit too pale, but I still think the road blue would look better with a collar-trim orange accent.

Oh, and Go Canes.

For the NYK alternate jersey, try using the NYK in the middle with contrasting-colored numbers up higher near the shoulder. Think cartoon-era Houston Rockets.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So here's a third draft... We have home, away, and alternate sets plus one Rocket's "cartoon-style" era (1995-2003) alternate (sans pinstripes) for :censored:s and gigs. Kept things pretty low key, did add some detail to the collars and removed the side panels. Also changed the blue to a navy (circa 1979-1983) and incorporated the light gray as a third color while using white as an accent color. The orange is pulled straight from the logo (as is the gray for that matter). The shorts have variously colored 'NYK in Ball' logos (SEE Post #2). Hope to hear from ya...

KNICKSDRAFT3.png

ltj009.png

1. Unless ABSOLUTELY necessary (Many MLB cap logos, Toronto Maple Leafs crest for example), logos should appear the same everywhere they are used - not be recolored. I don't see a glaring need to recolor the NYK logo in any of its applications here.

Also, using different fonts for things is cool, as long as there's some kind of reasoning for it. There doesn't appear to be any reason to use that font for the NOB of the primary set, and there really doesn't seem to be any reason to use the name or number font you chose for the NYK uniform.

The white wordmark with light gray 3Ding just doesn't look good - it's too light. Go with orange letters for the white and blue jersey, and either blue letters for the orange, or go with a whole other approach there (navy NEW YORK maybe?)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's an update...

• Removed the 3D, just couldn't get it to work on the jersey. Changed to stroked wordmark with colors matching the numbers.
  • Changed the shorts logo to the primary logo. Moved the 'NYK Ball logo' to under back collar. Also using just one consistent style of this logo.
  • Changed the player name font to a block style to match numbers (and changed name, although I don't think that's going to happen).
  • Removed back collar logo from gray alt.

KNICKSDRAFT4.png

Let me know what you think..

ltj009.png

Here's an update...

• Removed the 3D, just couldn't get it to work on the jersey. Changed to stroked wordmark with colors matching the numbers.
  • Changed the shorts logo to the primary logo. Moved the 'NYK Ball logo' to under back collar. Also using just one consistent style of this logo.
  • Changed the player name font to a block style to match numbers (and changed name, although I don't think that's going to happen).

KNICKSDRAFT4.png

First, I would take out the "New York" over the "Knicks" on the front. It just seems unnecessary. The gray jersey doesn't seem like it fits. It seems like you are trying too hard to incorporate it into the other uniforms, and its ruining the impact on the blue and orange uniforms.

Last, I don't understand why James is on the back. He won't be playing in New York next year. Nor will he be wearing the number 23 next year. Weird.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Here's an update...

KNICKSDRAFT4.png

First, I would take out the "New York" over the "Knicks" on the front. It just seems unnecessary. The gray jersey doesn't seem like it fits. It seems like you are trying too hard to incorporate it into the other uniforms, and its ruining the impact on the blue and orange uniforms.

Last, I don't understand why James is on the back. He won't be playing in New York next year. Nor will he be wearing the number 23 next year. Weird.

Why? Why is this comment necessary from you on every Knicks concept that puts LeBron's name on the back of it? You've got to realize the fact that he might decide to go to New York next year. God I wish the other Cleveland fans around here were at least somewhat sane.

6fQjS3M.png

Here's an update...

KNICKSDRAFT4.png

Why? Why is this comment necessary from you on every Knicks concept that puts LeBron's name on the back of it? You've got to realize the fact that he might decide to go to New York next year. God I wish the other Cleveland fans around here were at least somewhat sane.

No need to group us all into the same group. I am well aware of the circumstances.

As for the latest update; I would just drop the silver jersey altogether. Maybe use the nYk mark on the orange jersey instead; I'm also not sold on that number font for the silver jersey.

Switch the nYk logo to the orange jersey, and keep the same number font and you might have a winner.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Finally some action... thanks guys. I will get back to the drawing board. BTW, the gray jersey was just an extra idea per the thoughts of BringBackTheVet who was pretty much the only one giving me feedback the last few days. I'll hunker down on the main home, away and orange alt and see what I can come up with. Thanks again .. back with more in the next day or so. Oh yeah, I'll change the name ^_^ ; I don't think he's going to NY anyway, haha.

ltj009.png

Here's an update...

KNICKSDRAFT4.png

Because its an attempt at revisionist history. That's like putting Bird on the back of an LA jersey, or Jabar on the back of Bulls jersey.

As for your question... yes, it is necessary on EVERY pitiful Knicks fan's concept who puts James on the back of the jersey. If he signs there, I'll have no problem admitting I'm wrong... until then, they need to stop investing their lives and hopes into someone who hasn't even said he is interested in the Knicks yet.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

revisionist history? please. every concept on this board (no matter what name is on the back), or for that matter, fantasy teams would be revisionist history using your reasoning. just let the man make his concept.

16jfa.png

Dear god, take your inferiority complex elsewhere. Don't you realize that if he stays with Cleveland for some reason, you'll be able to laugh at everyone? Someone making a fictitious jersey that just shows what they're hoping for doesn't hurt you in any way. Seriously, see a psychologist, because you clearly have some deep down self esteem issues.

Also, for the record, other than the number font, I kinda like the gray jersey. I'd maybe make the front and back numbers blue, and maybe shrink the logo a little bit, but for a "for fun" thing, I think it's aight.

Okay guys... here is my latest iteration.

Updates:

• Changed the navy to more of a royal blue. I know it looks like two different blues, but I promise it's the same on all jerseys and logos. It just looks darker in the smaller areas.
  • Focused on the home, away, and alt. Tried the 'nYk' design on the orange set. Consolidated the number font. Removed 'New York' from the Home and Away sets.
  • Changed the player, haha. Jeez guys! I don't even like the Knicks nor hope he who must not be named go there. Let's drop it please. It's my first concept for God's sake. :cry: Also removed the stroke from the player name.

Thanks for the C&C.

KNICKSDRAFT5.png

ltj009.png

You need to ditch the silver. Its dulling everything out. Your last update is almost perfect except for all the silver.

Change the silver outlines and piping to white on the blue and orange jerseys. And also change the player name to white on the blue and to blue on the white.

i think you should recolor the logos to remove the silver. maybe make the triangle solid white with blue outline and change all the silver to blue in the letter shadow. On the NYK logo, change the ball to orange and the NYK to blue outlines in white to match the orange jersey.

last thing i would say is remove one of the logos on the shorts... they are too big and cluttering everything up. Maybe just one logo on one leg and a number on the other side?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I kinda liked the gray jersey, but I guess orange works too.

1. Use the NYK logo on the shorts. The NYK with the ball is not great, but good enough that it should appear on the uni in a better place than above the NOB. It can be in all three, I don't think that's a big deal (except on the orange jersey - not sure what to do there yet.)

2. I actually like the gray/silver, but if you're going to use it on the blue jersey, you need to work it into the white somehow. Otherwise, drop it like previous poster said. I'd try to work it in if it was my concept... but it's not.

3. Here's a wacky idea - if you're worried about using the logo three times, you could (and I repeat could) go with a little asymetrical(sp?) striping... go with a orange stripe with silver piping on the (viewer's) left side of the blue jersey, and continue onto the shorts (possibly getting wider, or just remaining straight.) Leave the (viewer's) right side of jersey and shorts plain, except for the NYK logo on the shorts. Now you only have it once on jersey and once on shorts, without there being empty space on the other side.

Archived