2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Big Ten co-champs and BCS bid winner... the Wisconsin Badgers!

Why I say this? Well, the Badgers are up 70-23 on Northwestern. Twice the Badgers have dropped 70+ points on Big Ten opposition. Yeah... This is scary.

Oh, and WOO HOO! Washington beats Cal on the last play of the game!! Yes... All they have to do is beat Waz-Spew and the drought will finally be over.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Big Ten co-champs and BCS bid winner... the Wisconsin Badgers!

Why I say this? Well, the Badgers are up 70-23 on Northwestern. Twice the Badgers have dropped 70+ points on Big Ten opposition. Yeah... This is scary.

Oh, and WOO HOO! Washington beats Cal on the last play of the game!! Yes... All they have to do is beat Waz-Spew and the drought will finally be over.

Brett Bielma isn't going to have awesome running backs forever.

And when he doesn't, Indiana and Northwestern will be waiting.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

YYYYEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH BOYEEEEEE!!!! #flavaflav

Boy them Gators just got that ass DROVE down there in the Doak. And look, I know the Gators done had a down year this year, but do you think I (or anyone else in Seminole Nation) gives a damn? HELL NAW...all I know is Jimbo Fisher just put his stamp on this program here. And what a way for Christian Ponder to go out, ACC title game notwithstanding--I'm sho' gon' miss that dude. (And as it happens, Maryland is driving a foot up into NC State's asses right now, so that ACC title game bid might well just happen.)

And what a way to progress through a season--new head coach, new defensive system, senior starter back after missing most of the previous year due to injury...go out to Norman and get ran over by the Sooners, come up huge against Miami, handle business against BYU, but then the losses to NC State and the Tar Heels in about the most disappointing fashion--this team could have very easily ended up 11-1 if not for those slip-ups, but for a "rebuilding" year, I'll take what we got (9-3). This game here just stamped the new guard for Florida State. Six straight losses to them freakin' Gators...but today Jimbo wasn't having it. Biggest margin of victory against the Gators since sometime in the '80s. Much like my Buccaneers, it looks like Imma have a lot to look forward to in the seasons to come. This football fan is mighy happy.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I hope this is the last half of the Rich Rod era. I don't care how much we lose by, I just want to be done.

So Harbaugh can come by and deliver a couple of more sub .500 seasons while he rebuilds the defense AND completely retools the offense back to the power run. And then you fire him because you remember he's also an uncouth dirtbag. Brilliant! You entitled idiots are seriously like 6 or 7 years behind Notre Dame in the "We're special, why is this happening?" death spiral of despair.

+ 1 . it would be wise to take note of notre dame's struggle , but the michigan fanbase seems too arrogant to notice , and therefore will be screwed another 3 years .

glossysig5.png

Utah squeaks out the win 17-16 over BYU in the last holy war. Coupled with the Jazz downing the Lakers, this is one of the best sports weekends ive had in a while :D

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I hope this is the last half of the Rich Rod era. I don't care how much we lose by, I just want to be done.

Money well spent! Rodriguez's salary, plus his West Virginia buyout, totaled $14 million. That's almost a cool million per win during his tenure at Ann Arbor. (15 wins over three seasons)

Michigan would've gotten more 'bang for their buck' had they invensted in Can Newton. :D

They would also be on probation... oh wait, we already are. :mad:

Money well spent! Rodriguez's salary, plus his West Virginia buyout, totaled $14 million. That's almost a cool million per win during his tenure at Ann Arbor. (15 wins over three seasons)

Michigan would've gotten more 'bang for their buck' had they invensted in Can Newton. :D

I figure it like this. The last 3 years never happened :P

And you'll say the same thing after Harbaugh too. You won't say that after Miles, but that's because all of your heads will have collectively exploded watching him attempt the football equivalent of dividing by zero every game. He's poised to be 11-1 with a trip to the Sugar Bowl, and by and large LSU fans want his ass gone. What does that tell you?

Actually, Miles to Michigan would make mgoblog good comedy if nothing else. Between Brian Cook having to defend Michigan's new grayshirting practices and being unable to explain Miles with numbers, that might supplant edsbs for college football comedy gold.

Who knows what may happen in the next couple years. But I can at least tell you now that the collective of Michigan fans want Rodriguez gone. I can at least see Harbaugh or Miles working with the team in a productive way. There is talent. But if they can bring in a guy that can work the defense. They can win 6 or 7 games and at least 4 wins in the conference and build on it. I just can't see both losing to Michigan State or Ohio State 3 straight years. I have never been on the bandwagon for Rodriguez in the first place and always wanted a Michigan guy. I think we can all agree, this is the end of the Rodriguez era.

But Harbaugh runs a completely different offense than Rodriguez. You aren't keeping Denard Robinson in that situation. You aren't keeping Forcier either. You will be starting from scratch all over again, because you have such a warped, insular (dinosauric?) culture that you cannot even imagine how football works in the 21st Century.

Tell you what, if Indiana were to sack Lynch, and you were to sack Rodriguez, I want Indiana to be the first school to call him. We've learned from firing Mallory, and if Rodriguez can succeed at West Virginia, he can succeed at Indiana.

--------------------------

Also, woot, we actually get hardware for an Indiana football season. And can be super special bowl eligible if the NCAA's "oh :censored: not enough teams have 6 wins" scenario comes about.

Exactly, rams80. +1 and this is from a Michigan alumni. He still needs to stay.

Too much change too soon and you cannot expect magic with the old coach's talent. The culture is very incestuous and it is to the detriment of not only Michigan, but also what has occurred at Notre Dame. Plus, you do not want to be the "new LSU" in which you fire coaches after four season due to expectations which aren't Conference title or bust.

Instead of the Indiana or Notre Dame comparisons, why not look at the Nebraska program? They hire Bill Callahan and he takes Nebraska away from their power option running attack and tries to install the west coast offense. Huge mistake, they lose for 3-4 years, bring in Pelini who takes them back to the power run game and intimidating defense. Now they are a program on the rise. I see much more similarities there than I do with ND and that mess.

Also, say JH was to leave Stanford and come to Michigan like 99% of U of M fans are hoping. I don't believe he is so stuck in his ways that he would not slowly phase out the Rich Rodriguez offense. And even if he were to say: "Screw it, I'm running the power O... " and Denard was to leave, we have Devin Gardner in the fold who has all the ability of a Terrell Pryor or Cam Newton that could operate out that offense. You can't base your program around one player. Denard Robinson is an awesome player who should be a redshirt freshman right now, but he is not more important than the program. Michigan AD Dave Brandon needs to do what is best for Michigan football.

Instead of the Indiana or Notre Dame comparisons, why not look at the Nebraska program? They hire Bill Callahan and he takes Nebraska away from their power option running attack and tries to install the west coast offense. Huge mistake, they lose for 3-4 years, bring in Pelini who takes them back to the power run game and intimidating defense. Now they are a program on the rise. I see much more similarities there than I do with ND and that mess.

I knew the Nebraska comparison was coming, and you, sir, are mistaken. Yes, Callahan was not "one of us" regarding the Nebraska culture and tradition. Yes, Callahan was ultimately fired after 4 seasons. However, Callahan was fired in large part because he and his fate was tied to that of then athletic director Steve Pederson. Pederson sacked Solich and brought in Callahan so he could have "his own guy". Once Nebraska figured out he wasn't taking the entire athletic department in the proper direction after 6 years, his termination was mandated.

Additionally, Callahan's ouster came following a very disappointing season in which the defending Big 12 North Champions took on paper what was a very promising season and clearly and totally regressed into a 5 win team and the utter reduction of his defense to cinders by most of the Conference in the 4th year of his program. That's termination worthy in most places.

Finally, unlike Michigan, the local media and certain vocal segments of the fanbase didn't dedicate themselves to Callahan's utter destruction 30 seconds into his tenure. The Detroit Free Press's vendetta against Rodriguez has directly harmed the University, gone way beyond the bounds of most standards of journalistic propriety, and has generally been a disgrace to everyone involved; there is no analogue to that in Lincoln or Omaha. Nebraska fans, however, were willing by and large to give Callahan's program a chance until the complete and total collapse of his defense in 2007, and a relative stagnation of the once-promising offense. Which Pelini had to painstakingly rebuild over the next two seasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Indiana fan in me would kill to have Rodriguez coaching the Hoosiers. The Nebraska fan in me desperately wants you guys to fire him so the Huskers can have free reign over the division for the next few seasons. It would be a mistake to fire him now that he has his QB in Robinson.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I knew the Nebraska comparison was coming, and you, sir, are mistaken. Yes, Callahan was not "one of us" regarding the Nebraska culture and tradition. Yes, Callahan was ultimately fired after 4 seasons. However, Callahan was fired in large part because he and his fate was tied to that of then athletic director Steve Pederson. Pederson sacked Solich and brought in Callahan so he could have "his own guy". Once Nebraska figured out he wasn't taking the entire athletic department in the proper direction after 6 years, his termination was mandated.

Additionally, Callahan's ouster came following a very disappointing season in which the defending Big 12 North Champions took on paper what was a very promising season and clearly and totally regressed into a 5 win team and the utter reduction of his defense to cinders by most of the Conference in the 4th year of his program. That's termination worthy in most places.

Finally, unlike Michigan, the local media and certain vocal segments of the fanbase didn't dedicate themselves to Callahan's utter destruction 30 seconds into his tenure. The Detroit Free Press's vendetta against Rodriguez has directly harmed the University, gone way beyond the bounds of most standards of journalistic propriety, and has generally been a disgrace to everyone involved; there is no analogue to that in Lincoln or Omaha. Nebraska fans, however, were willing by and large to give Callahan's program a chance until the complete and total collapse of his defense in 2007, and a relative stagnation of the once-promising offense. Which Pelini had to painstakingly rebuild over the next two seasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Indiana fan in me would kill to have Rodriguez coaching the Hoosiers. The Nebraska fan in me desperately wants you guys to fire him so the Huskers can have free reign over the division for the next few seasons. It would be a mistake to fire him now that he has his QB in Robinson.

While the Peterson firing of Solich has eventually been a positive for Nebraska. Otherwise, they would now be midway in a offensive change which was openly seen in that Rose Bowl. The Devaney and Osbourne still had little success in bowl games so it needed to change. Sadly, many NE high schools and schools which the Huskers recruited were forced to change offenses to allow their kids to gain scholarships. What Peterson was not that bad, the prep impact of his decision was great in many states.

rams80 knows that a change now will impact the team more than if Rich stays.

Michigan is now where the following teams are: Texas, Florida, Clemson (always been there), Miami. Out of those teams, I think that Michigan is in the better situation. Mack Brown has no clue on what to do as he has gotten better HS talent than most teams in the last two years. Gator may get a pass since Urban did a a Fred Sanford during the leaving of Tebow.

HOW BOUT THEM NOLES BUC!

A real good friend of mine from the Marines is a Gator fan. I grew up loving the Seminoles so we made the bet several years ago that the fan of the losing team had to get the other one a case of beer. I made that walk of shame for 6 years in a row. Now it's his turn! ;-)

HOW BOUT THEM NOLES BUC!

A real good friend of mine from the Marines is a Gator fan. I grew up loving the Seminoles so we made the bet several years ago that the fan of the losing team had to get the other one a case of beer. I made that walk of shame for 6 years in a row. Now it's his turn! ;-)

Imma throw back a few in your honor tonight, my friend.

I feel you, though--just about every single one of my cousins on my mom's side is a Gators fan (probably because they spent so much time living in Ocala), and for six years I've had to hear it from them. This year...please believe I let all of them have it. They got pissed when I remarked they ain't have no Tim Tebow to save their behinds this time. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Also, LSU lost, and it's very similar to Boise's loss. Boise was #4, LSU was #5. Both lost to lower-ranked conference opponents, and both losses came heartbreakingly late into the season and will likely screw over both teams come bowl selection.

And like Boise, its about time LSU's luck ran out!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

So with an LSU loss, Stanford needs a win to potentially move into that coveted #4 spot. If they take it and stay there, the 3-4 rule will guarantee them a BCS berth.

On another note, it's still early but Oklahoma is up 14-3 over Oklahoma State right now. I'm crossin my fingers that the Cowboys mount a comeback, itd be great to see them in Arlington to play for a BCS berth.

Aaaand Wisconsin drops 70 AGAIN. How is this team so overlooked?? Heck, Iowa seems to get more talk on the tube than Wisconsin. That team is something else.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived