NHL 2014

tigerslionspistonshabs

Hey guys. I'm going to attempt to do this by division, starting with the Eastern Conference- South East. I apologize for some concepts having shoulder numbers, and others not. I've been using the resources in the Paint Template Thread, so thank you to all who contributed to it.

Just a few words first:

I've heard that at some point the NHL is going back to white at home, dark away, so I've gone along with that here.

I'm not a fan of any type of vertical striping or piping, so I've tried to go with more traditional looks overall.

I will also do a quick word about each team on what has happened with them from 2010-2014.

First up, the Atlanta Thrashers.

After a couple more seasons of futility, the Thrashers' fan support continues to dwindle. After the 2012-13 season, owners have seriously looked at selling the team, with a deal with Mr. Jim Balsillie on the table to move the team to Hamilton, which has spent several million to upgrade Copps Coliseum to meet NHL standards. However, in the eleventh hour, things fall through and the owners decide to keep the team and remain in town. This is seen as an opportunity for a re-birth of the franchise, and thus, new colours are introduced.

2010-11: 4th Southeast, 14th Eastern, 72 pts- Did not qualify for Playoffs

2011-12: 5th Southeast, 15th Eastern, 67 pts- Did not qualify for Playoffs

2012-13: 4th Southeast, 14th Eastern, 78 pts- Did not qualify for Playoffs

2013-14: 4th Southeast, 14th Eastern, 72 pts- Did not qualify for Playoffs

I'm not a big fan of anything they've worn since they came into the league, especially their current "set". There has never been any consistency.

I've kept roughly the same template that they currently use on their white, with the wing patterns on the arms.

As far as colours, I've kept blue and gold, but replaced the red with a brownish-gray.

Logos: I really like their primary, so I simplified it colour-wise, and the same with their alternate.

Behold...

atlanta.png

C&C Please

sig.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to fall into this mold with my reply but it's really hard to give any type of C&C when (and you're going to see a lot of people echo this) it's pretty much nothing more than a recolor. There's nothing new or exciting here.

Well you might like to call it bronze, but unless my monitor is way way off it is more like a slate gray. Since bronze is made up of copper and tin it is generally a brownish orange color. And I hope there will be more creativity coming other than a recolor series. Don't you think if they were going to "as an opportunity for a re-birth of the franchise, and thus, a complete re-brand." they might change more than just a color? And in 4 years perhaps some more innovation in design may emerge. Also it would be doubtful that they would be able to change anything at the last min after the ownership change and relocation fell though.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Next up, the Carolina Hurricanes.

The alternate/shoulder logo became the primary for the 2011-12 season, with the original Hurricane logo on the black alternate.

The Hurricanes made the playoffs in 2 of the past 4 seasons, making it as far as the Conference Semi-Finals in 2012-13, but lost in 7 games to the Washington Capitals.

2010-11: 2nd Southeast, 7th Eastern, 93 pts- Lost in first round to PITT

2011-12: 3rd Southeast, 12th Eastern, 80 pts- Did not qualify for Playoffs

2012-13: 3rd Southeast, 5th Eastern, 100 pts- Lost in 2nd round in 7 games to WASH

2013-14: 3rd Southeast, 9th Eastern, 90 pts- Did not qualify for Playoffs

carolina.jpg

sig.png

It looks like you origially made maroon colored Thrashers jerseys, but due to a wash machine accident, the maroon faded to beige...or light brown. For those ones, I'm sorry but I going to say it's a massive downgrade.

I guess the Hurricanes in 2014 still choose to ignore the fact they have a tropical storm warning as a logo. Will we see any creativity with this thread at all? Swapping colors and making secondary logos the primary are not really a way to show creativity.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Why not? What justifies a team "having business" wearing lace-ups? Winning a Stanley Cup? Making hockey successful in a non-traditional market?

the fact that only classic teams should wear em. bruins, canadiens, rangers, and leafs should be allowed to wear them. teams that have been around since 1998 (excluding the whalers) should not wear lace ups as opposed to teams that have been around for over 75 years. i said they have no buisness wearing a lace up collar, NOT: they have no buisness winning the cup, making hockey successful in carolina, etc.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Atlanta Thrashers: It's good, but the color is kind of odd. It reminds me of that color of gray that the Blue Jays used to wear in their caps around 2004 - those gray caps that fans didnt like because the color was too undefinable, and eventually were tossed. I would go with more of a reddish color to give the uni some pop.

Carolina Hurricanes: Good thinking with the log swtich, this actually wouldnt surprise me. The flag logo is a little more futuristic, and i always thought their original logo needed to be downgraded to an alternate, or even gotten rid of. But why not try mixing up the colors a bit for this one. Try to make it in Charlotte bobcats colors, blue, silver, and orange: blue for the rain of a hurricane, silver for the thunder, orange for the lightning. This way you could create "regional colors". I wish more cities would do this to promote fan unity.

Hope my advice is useful, and cant wait to see the changes - sorry some folks on the board have to be so rude. :puke:

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I guess the Hurricanes in 2014 still choose to ignore the fact they have a tropical storm warning as a logo. Will we see any creativity with this thread at all? Swapping colors and making secondary logos the primary are not really a way to show creativity.

Damn, can't we cut some slack for new people? I mean, weren't we once all new and clueless as to how creating our own logos was actually done? If you don't see any creativity, then I think it's fine to just not comment.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Damn, can't we cut some slack for new people? I mean, weren't we once all new and clueless as to how creating our own logos was actually done? If you don't see any creativity, then I think it's fine to just not comment.

Well I would rather see a crappy rendering of an original idea than just cut and paste coloring. He posted 2 concepts in about 12 hours, most on here say take your time read what people say don't flood the board with recolors. The OP labeled this thread as a NHL 2014, not a recolor and cut and paste. I just call it like I see it. When you ask for C&C you don't say ...only if you don't hurt my feelings. After the first 2 replies to his post he should have rethought what he was trying to do with his next concept. It just shows no effort or creativity.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

NEVER EVER save your files as .JPG Always use .PNG The image quality will be light-years better.

As for the concepts, think of something you would like to see them wear. Look at what other hockey teams have worn in the past.

Don't just think oh I'll put this color on, do it, and then post it. Some of my concepts I have taken a week to decide just the colors I wanted to use.

Also, just ignore the :censored: that are rude. I put up with a lot of them and that seems to be what works the best.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Thanks for the tips guys. I just have to re-iterate the idea that these are not necessarily re-brands and do-overs. It's how I would like the NHL to look (eg. the traditional looks, simplicity, consistency) in 4 years. Some will be complete re-brands, others will simply be a tweaking, or a flash back to a past uniform.

sig.png

Why not? What justifies a team "having business" wearing lace-ups? Winning a Stanley Cup? Making hockey successful in a non-traditional market?

Only teams that actually had laced jerseys in the vintage era (pre 1980's) should be allowed to wear them now. Anyone else using them is just wrong.

canada.png

Archived