2010-11 European soccer outpost

Saintsfan

I just want Arsenal to FINALLY win some silverware (an no, the Emirates Cup doesn't count!)

Amen.

Barca's such a :censored: team. So annoying this whole summer. Have absolutely zero respect for a club's wishes. Fab's under contract, stop trying to use the media to get him. I'm glad we have him for this year, but next year he's gone for sure, as long as we get 40m+ for him.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That shocked the hell out of me...but then again, the (speculative) reasoning made sense. Aston Villa's made little-to-no transfer moves for a couple of years now, and the rare ones that they have made haven't had too much impact. I'm sure MON's wanted to make some big transfer splashes, and for them to once again be restrictive about it must've been the final straw.

I'm sorry but that's kind of a ridiculous statement. This was the 05-06 Villa squad, DOL's last season, before MON got there.

Thomas Sorensen (GK)

Stefan Postma (GK)

Wayne Henderson (GK)

Stuart Taylor (GK)

Mark Delaney (DF)

Jlloyd Samuel (DF)

Olof Mellberg (DF)

Martin Laursen (DF)

Gareth Barry (DF/MF)

Wilfred Bouma (DF)

Aaron Hughes (DF)

Liam Ridgwell (DF)

Garry Cahill (DF)

Lee Hendrie (MF)

Gavin McCann (MF)

James Milner (MF)-On loan

Steven Davis (MF)

Eric Djemba-Djemba (MF)

Ulises De La Cruz (MF)

Mathieu Berson (MF)

Peter Whittingham (MF)

Patrik Berger (MF)

Craig Gardner (MF)

Juan Pablo Angel (FW)

Milan Baros (FW)

Kevin Phillips (FW)

Luke Moore (FW)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (FW)-first season played 9 games

Let's look at whom MON brought in.

Carew for Baros

Milner

A. Young

L. Young

Warnock

Dunne

Cuellar

Collins

Downing

Petrov

And he essentially brought through Agbonlahor

And countless others who I'm forgetting

EPL: probably :censored: ing Chelsea.

Italy: I can't see Inter giving up the ship here.

Spain: Barcelona.

Germany: I think it'd be cool if St. Pauli won, but those odds are slim to none. Realistically I'd say Schalke.

France: I'll say Lyon.

Switzerland: Basel, almost certainly Basel. (Allez Allez FCB! ;) )

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

That shocked the hell out of me...but then again, the (speculative) reasoning made sense. Aston Villa's made little-to-no transfer moves for a couple of years now, and the rare ones that they have made haven't had too much impact. I'm sure MON's wanted to make some big transfer splashes, and for them to once again be restrictive about it must've been the final straw.

I'm sorry but that's kind of a ridiculous statement. This was the 05-06 Villa squad, DOL's last season, before MON got there.

Thomas Sorensen (GK)

Stefan Postma (GK)

Wayne Henderson (GK)

Stuart Taylor (GK)

Mark Delaney (DF)

Jlloyd Samuel (DF)

Olof Mellberg (DF)

Martin Laursen (DF)

Gareth Barry (DF/MF)

Wilfred Bouma (DF)

Aaron Hughes (DF)

Liam Ridgwell (DF)

Garry Cahill (DF)

Lee Hendrie (MF)

Gavin McCann (MF)

James Milner (MF)-On loan

Steven Davis (MF)

Eric Djemba-Djemba (MF)

Ulises De La Cruz (MF)

Mathieu Berson (MF)

Peter Whittingham (MF)

Patrik Berger (MF)

Craig Gardner (MF)

Juan Pablo Angel (FW)

Milan Baros (FW)

Kevin Phillips (FW)

Luke Moore (FW)

Gabriel Agbonlahor (FW)-first season played 9 games

Let's look at whom MON brought in.

Carew for Baros

Milner

A. Young

L. Young

Warnock

Dunne

Cuellar

Collins

Downing

Petrov

And he essentially brought through Agbonlahor

And countless others who I'm forgetting

And now I feel dumb, thanks. :P Seriously, though. Thanks for the enlightenment, I now feel properly schooled. I thought that most of the talent was homegrown, now I'm seeing that's definitely not the case.

Still, I could understand that MON wanted to take the transfers to the next level that would make AVFC into more than just a perennial contender for a Europa League spot with an occasional Champions League spot peppered in there, & it was obvious that they didn't want to put the potential transfer money into buying more players, therefore potentially taking that jump to the next level. Either way, I understand his resigning...but what a time to leave, eh?

It isn't so much not buying players that did for O'Neill as much as being forced to sell guys like Milner, Ashley Young etc without being able to reinvest the money. O'Neill has never been one for making big signings though.

It does seem odd timing, but does he really want to send a Villa team out that he doesn't feel is his? One thing it does is just squeeze the pressure on the top managers a little with O'Neill out of work! Even guys like Redknapp or Hodgson might come under pressure if they get off to slow starts!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Incidentally there has been some chatter today in the UK that Bob Bradley could be a candidate to replace O'Neill at Villa. In my opinion, that would be crazy move, certainly if they don't appoint a director of football to help him out. I am sure he is a good coach, but does he have the contacts to work the European transfer market?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Incidentally there has been some chatter today in the UK that Bob Bradley could be a candidate to replace O'Neill at Villa. In my opinion, that would be crazy move, certainly if they don't appoint a director of football to help him out. I am sure he is a good coach, but does he have the contacts to work the European transfer market?

I'd love to see an American coach get a European job, but I'd prefer it not be Villa. :P

ESPN (US) & EPL come to 3 year deal.

The new agreement will allow ESPN to broadcast more than 220 live matches in three seasons, most of which will be available in high definition. The timeslots that ESPN2 have taken are Saturday mornings at 7:30am ET (10am when there are no early kick-offs) and weekday afternoons (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday) at 2:45pm ET.

Best part of this, IMO, is that now the games can be streamed on ESPN3, which also means that you can watch replays. So yeah, I'm kinda excited.

ESPN (US) & EPL come to 3 year deal.

The new agreement will allow ESPN to broadcast more than 220 live matches in three seasons, most of which will be available in high definition. The timeslots that ESPN2 have taken are Saturday mornings at 7:30am ET (10am when there are no early kick-offs) and weekday afternoons (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday) at 2:45pm ET.

Best part of this, IMO, is that now the games can be streamed on ESPN3, which also means that you can watch replays. So yeah, I'm kinda excited.

The ESPN3 thing is wonderful news.

Based on that info and the EPL schedule this looks to be the ESPN 2 Schedule through November

Date Match

14-Aug Spurs vs Man City

16-Aug Man U vs Newcastle

21-Aug TBD 10am Match

23-Aug Man City vs Liverpool

28-Aug Blackburn vs Arsenal

11-Sep TBD 10am Match

13-Sep Stoke v Aston Villa

18-Sep Stoke v West Ham

25-Sep Man City v. Chelsea

2-Oct Wigan v Wolves

16-Oct TBD 10am Match

18-Oct Blackburn vs Sunderland

23-Oct Spurs vs Everton

30-Oct TBD 10am Match

1-Nov Blackpool v WBA

6-Nov Bolton v Spurs

9-Nov Stoke v Birmingham

10-Nov TBD 2:45pm match

13-Nov Aston Villa v Man U

20-Nov TBD 10am Match

22-Nov Sunderland v Everton

27-Nov Aston Villa v Arsenal

If Bob Bradley gets the Villa job do we see his boy trading in Germany for Birmingham?

I think he will be a decent manager for them though

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

If Bob Bradley gets the Villa job do we see his boy trading in Germany for Birmingham?

I think he will be a decent manager for them though

No.

Also: 2-0 to the Mighty Villa!

AlsoX2: Feed the Hare and the Hare will score.

Blackpool (BLACKPOOL!!!) are currently taking Wigan to the woodshed, 3-0 at the half. Wow.

Also, Joe Hart was outstanding for City today. Tottenham really shoulda had a hatful today, yet they came away with nothing & shared points. 1/3 bad Spurs finishing, 1/3 shoddy City defense (in the first half at least) & 1/3 Hart justifying his selection over Shay Given.

Archived