2010-11 European soccer outpost

Saintsfan

4-1 now. Looks like Arsenal will go unbeaten in their first four Premiership matches. Granted their three wins came against clearly inferior opponents, but this is a good sign nonetheless, as it suggests they're finally kicking their old habit of playing down to the level of their opponent.

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the mighty Oxford United picked up their first away win of the LEague Two season (and their second win on the bounce) besting Hereford 2-0. And, with a mere 40 league games to go before the season, Oxford is residing in the play-off spots...

Cue the predictions of Arsenal scoring 114 points, just like they did earlier this decade out of Viper, given how much of a homer he is.

Alas, the Gunners opened with a draw at Anfield, so they're on a pace to get "only" 112 points this Premier League campaign. :P

Hold on though... earlier this decade? We're only eight-and-a-half months into the 2010s, and you're telling me Arsenal has somehow already managed to not only get in a full season in those eight-and-a-half months, but they ran the table in that season? And I completely missed it? :huh:

:censored: , I should just turn in my Gooner card right now.

===

All kidding aside, we are just four rounds into the campaign. As I said above, so far Arsenal has been consistently getting max points out of teams they should beat, which is more than could be said about them in recent seasons. Though I obviously wish they wouldn't, they still have plenty of opportunity to revert to their old form.

The other thing is, while there are definitely other clubs that can keep the Gunners off the top perch, it's not the usual suspects they'll be chasing anymore. The two clubs they really have to watch out for, and get at least three points against each, are Chelsea and Tottenham. Chelsea is obvious. Meanwhile the Spurs finally broke into the top four last year, along the way beating Arsenal in a league fixture for the first time in over ten years. They are no longer the guaranteed 4-6 Gunner points that they used to be. As it turns out, Arsenal has fixtures against both these clubs coming up within the next three weeks (though the Spurs match this coming Tuesday is actually a Carling Cup affair), so we shouldn't have long to wait to see how good the Gunners really are.

CCSLC signature.png

All kidding aside, we are just four rounds into the campaign. As I said above, so far Arsenal has been consistently getting max points out of teams they should beat, which is more than could be said about them in recent seasons. Though I obviously wish they wouldn't, they still have plenty of opportunity to revert to their old form.

And, guess what: Sunderland 1-1 Arsenal today. Almost as if on cue. :mad:

CCSLC signature.png

• 4 weeks later...

In the near-month that has passed since this thread was last updated, Liverpool have entered into complete turmoil mode. The owner's on the way out and seen as a disgrace by club supporters, the prospective new owners probably won't swoop in because of the fact that they're looking Administration dead in the eye, and on top of that, Dirk Kuyt was seriously injured in a Euro 2012 qualifier.

Needless to say, the Reds are having a rough go of it.

In the near-month that has passed since this thread was last updated, Liverpool have entered into complete turmoil mode. The owner's on the way out and seen as a disgrace by club supporters, the prospective new owners probably won't swoop in because of the fact that they're looking Administration dead in the eye, and on top of that, Dirk Kuyt was seriously injured in a Euro 2012 qualifier.

We will see in hours if they board will take the Red Sox bid or the bid from Singapore as who will lead the team.

Don't worry Liverpudlians, Administration isn't the end of the world. Just look at Leeds over there. They're feeling as frisky as ever.

*Leeds twitches perfunctory eyelid whilst hooked up to 50 different life support machines*

See, he'll be ready to go in no time.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's not just Kuyt that's hurt. Bayern is pissed that Robben and Van Bommel have been injured on Dutch duty.

LvZYtbZ.png

It gets worse. Wayne Rooney is on borrowed time at Man U as SAF confirmed today that Rooney will be leaving in the January window.

I'd provide a link, but my phone isn't as advanced to the point where I can copy & paste.

There's the video. Basically, Rooney didn't sign the contract that Man U offered him, & is going to enact his £5m buyout clause in his contract. So yeah, Rooney's good as gone.

Also, Arsenal continue to absolutely steamroll teams in the Champions League. Won 5-1 tonight & have broke a record for most goals scored through 3 UCL Group Stage games with 13. Gunners on fire.

Okay first off Sir Alex didn't say Rooney will leave. He said he wants to. Basically he was calling Rooney out and saying 'why?' a neat piece of putting the ball in Rooney's court. I doubt he would leave in January anyways. The summer is far more likely. Fergue is a smat guy and isn't going to sell his one true world class player at a time where it's next to impossible to replace him.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived