2010-11 European soccer outpost

Saintsfan

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever you think of the guy or his team, this really is worth a look!

Anyone think anyone can catch Manchester United now?

Even though they blew two points against Newcastle last week, I still reckon Arsenal still has a decent chance.

It's gonna take United to blow it in order to let anyone else in, and that's pretty much unheard of!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Tottenham pulled off a pretty big upset in the San Siro today, beating AC Milan 1-0 in the first leg.

However, the story was Gattuso absolutely losing his mind during the game. Reckless fouls, referee abuse, embellishment like crazy, & to top it all off, he shoved Spurs assistant coach Joe Jordan at one point DURING THE GAME, and headbutted dude at the end of the game.

Gattuso's going to miss the 2nd leg of the tie because he's picked up one too many yellow cards, but he's probably going to sit out more after the nonsense that went down today. Absolutely disgusting display from that dude.

That was a great result for Spurs today, especially that they did it without Gareth Bale. The return leg in London should be a great one, hopefully they can hold on and move through to the quarterfinals.

In the other Champions League match, Valencia and Schalke played to a 1-1 draw. It was Raul who got the equalizer for Schalke in his return trip to Spain.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Arsenal must beat Barca tomorrow at home, by 2-0 or better if they can manage it. They've got the horses to pull that off, but if they're merely level or worse going into the second leg at Camp Nou, they're probably toast. The Gunners have not done particularly well against elite competition away from Emirates this season.

CCSLC signature.png

Tottenham pulled off a pretty big upset in the San Siro today, beating AC Milan 1-0 in the first leg.

However, the story was Gattuso absolutely losing his mind during the game. Reckless fouls, referee abuse, embellishment like crazy, & to top it all off, he shoved Spurs assistant coach Joe Jordan at one point DURING THE GAME, and headbutted dude at the end of the game.

Is this really a guy you want to be headbutting?

joe%20jordan.JPG

I'd imagine Gattuso will get a further ban for his craziness. Really was something else. Great result for Spurs, but the tie is not over yet. 1 goal is not too hard to make up, evdn away from home, especially against a side like Spurs.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Big 2-1 win for Arsenal at home this evening, after a couple of amazing goals by van Persie and Arshavin. I am a little worried about David Villa's away goal for Barcelona though; it means the Gunners can't afford a 2nd-leg shutout unless it's the dreaded goalless draw, and somehow I doubt that's going to happen between these two clubs.

CCSLC signature.png

Big 2-1 win for Arsenal at home this evening, after a couple of amazing goals by van Persie and Arshavin. I am a little worried about David Villa's away goal for Barcelona though; it means the Gunners can't afford a 2nd-leg shutout unless it's the dreaded goalless draw, and somehow I doubt that's going to happen between these two clubs.

I'm a bit nervous about the 2nd leg, no Pique, possibly no Puyol. That means Abidal & Milito as our centerbacks. No sir, I dont like it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• 2 weeks later...

EPL bottom-feeders West Ham are taking Liverpool to the woodshed. Ditto former bottom-feeders Wolves against Blackpool.

Meanwhile Arsenal can finally bring home their first new piece of hardware to Emirates in today's Carling Cup final vs. Birmingham City. No Fabregas or Walcott in the Gunners' lineup though, so I'm a little worried. Brum's been on a bit of a roll themselves, and Arsenal doesn't exactly have a flawless track record against teams they should defeat handily.

Update: 1-1 at the half. A bit sloppy defense by the Gunners in the first half, but Zigic's goal for Brum on a perfectly placed header seemed to wake Arsenal up.

Update #2: Well, so much for the quadruple, as Arsenal has their very own Robert Green moment late in the 2nd. Goalie Wojciech Szczesny mis-handles an easy save, giving Obafemi Martins the equivalent of an uncontested layup to win the Carling Cup for Birmingham City.

CCSLC signature.png

Not entirely fair to put all the blame on the keeper for that last goal, the defender really ought to have cleared the ball.

Arsenal have lacked two things for a long while now. Leadership in defence and a real engine to drive the team forward from deep in midfield. Both those things were severely lacking today. But Birmingham were very effective throughout. Ben Foster (man of the match in the Carling Cup Final for the second time in three years) was outstanding in the Birmingham goal, Zigic was an excellent target man, and Bowyer was crucial in midfield.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Wow, Arsenal. You let Birmingham win a trophy. Literally, you basically gave them the cup.

Also, MCFC frustrates me to no end. They drew Fulham today & Fulham definitely looked like the better team. They went into cruise control after Balotelli scored, & you can't do that against the scrappier teams like Fulham. Either way, City's hopes for the Premiership died today, & it's gonna be another dogfight for the CL spots.

I now hate you Arsenal.

Those :censored:s get to play in the Europa League now don't they?

:censored:ing Arsenal...

I hope they play Rapid Vienna and the stadium gets sucked into a black hole.

Well, at least the Gunners and their fans were able to take out their frustration on poor little Leyton Orient today, 5-0 in their FA Cup last-16 2nd-leg. Of course, now they get ManU in the quarters...

CCSLC signature.png

Archived