Georgia Force New Logo

Gary

Can you explain why you like the logo?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I make assumptions about people who read and post on this board and I'm sure that some of them are way off base. But the impression that I get is that there is a contingent of students and other aspiring designers as well as a mix of professionals. I hope that oddballs post doesn't send the former off to the bell tower with a high powered rifle or the latter back to grad school for their MBA.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do OB, but my experience doesn't make bad clients and bad work a foregone conclusion. I give you Studio Simon as example. Minor league baseball is a difficult environment to operate in and they consistently create brilliant marks that clients, fans and other designers love. I'm sure that isn't because of the forward thinking, fashionable and profoundly savvy clients they attract, but more likely due to Dan's ability to manage his studios projects and his clients expectations.

Being a designer is about creative problem solving and sometimes the problems are easily solved and other times they are not. Back to Studio Simon. If I had a client ask me to create an identity based upon a regional type of onion, I'd promptly hit the eject button. By all accounts that's an equation for disaster and something that on the surface looks like a perfect opportunity for a less than optimal solution. But Dan managed to take that awful direction and turn it into not only something good, but something great.

I don't think you can hang the shortcomings of the Georgia Force's new logo on the client, that's just not fair to the client. The designer ultimately chooses what they show to the client and just because they were give onions, doesn't automatically mean that the final product will stink (or make your cry).

I'm talking reality, not fantasy here. I never said it was the client's fault, I just said that sometimes, what the client likes is what you disagree with. We do the best with what we are given and sometimes it isn't great. Sorry I guess there are people around who aren't as good as Simon Studio. Now let's all bow down to the God's of Design because they can pick and choose what they do. *Sarcasm there if you didn't catch it.* I guess you're so great that you wouldn't take a challenge such as an onion logo. Oh wait, you didn't do it, someone else did. If someone was going to a bell tower with a rifle or going back to get their MBA, they were going in the first place. Secondly, if you're in design and you're going back for your Masters of Business Administration, you probably couldn't cut it as a designer anyway. Let me quote a former teacher of mine to a student, "Here's .25 cents, go call your mother and tell her you're not going to be a graphic designer."

Just because you're stuck doing work you can't stand behind doesn't mean that's how the design biz works. A client might make a choice or go in a direction that the designer might not like, but that's not an excuse to crank it out the way they want it and call it a day(Choosing what you present to a client is also huge. If you hate something, why would you ever present that as an option?). As a designer, you are creative problem solver as Joe said. You need to take what you consider an inferior idea or direction and make it work in a way where you would still be happy to put you name on it. Either that or learn how to persuade people with well thought out designs. You should be able to explain why you did everything you did in a design, and if you can do that, you can more often then not convince a client that your idea is the best idea.

Also, I'm pretty sure Joe is Joe Bosack, so I'm pretty sure he can back up what he said with solid work...and your teacher sounds like a real a**hole.

Would part of that be using statistics and figures to show why certain designs sell more than others, why these colors may elicit more positive responses in people than others (maybe quote a few studies or perform your own), show figures on similar rebranding projects that demonstrate that the direction that you went in would be more profitable for the client in the long run, etc.? Not that it takes an MBA to do all of that, but maybe a business education is something that a designer shoud embrace and not scoff at. I'm not a designer so I could be totally off base, but I think that a lot of the younger members on here who want to obe designers just think that it's as "simple" as drawing a couple of cool looking pictures and cashing a check, when there could be a lot more behind a product than just that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Major upgrade.

You might wanna take a second look at the logo once you've sobered up.

Or maybe you might want to learn about opinions and come to realize that different people like different things. I didn't care for their original logo and I find the new one better represents the game of football. I'm sorry if you disagree, but I can assure you I am 100% sober when I say I find the new logo better than the old one.

In that case, maybe you should get drunk, then take another look. :D

Does it really matter to you if I like the old logo better or less than this one? I can't believe what an issue this is turning into. Most people hate the logo, perhaps I'm the only one who likes it. Case in point.

Im sorry to call you out Quillz but you did put the Buffaslug as one of your favorite logos. I know thats your opinion but society wont like it.

ChaBobcats-SquareSig.pngBlueJaysSquareSig.png

DashSquareSig.png

Major upgrade.

Or maybe you might want to learn about opinions and come to realize that different people like different things. I didn't care for their original logo and I find the new one better represents the game of football. I'm sorry if you disagree, but I can assure you I am 100% sober when I say I find the new logo better than the old one.

Does it really matter to you if I like the old logo better or less than this one? I can't believe what an issue this is turning into. Most people hate the logo, perhaps I'm the only one who likes it. Case in point.

Im sorry to call you out Quillz but you did put the Buffaslug as one of your favorite logos. I know thats your opinion but society wont like it.

And why should I care what you or anyone else thinks? I have my opinions and you have yours. Too bad if I like the Buffaslug and you don't. That's the way it is.

Major upgrade.

And why should I care what you or anyone else thinks? I have my opinions and you have yours. Too bad if I like the Buffaslug and you don't. That's the way it is.

Hey, I'm not saying bad things about you. Im not saying I dont like the Buffaslug, Im just preparing you for what could come. Trust me Im a nice guy :D

ChaBobcats-SquareSig.pngBlueJaysSquareSig.png

DashSquareSig.png

Major upgrade.

Hey, I'm not saying bad things about you. Im not saying I dont like the Buffaslug, Im just preparing you for what could come. Trust me Im a nice guy :D

I think that the Buffaslug's crap & the new Force logo is even bigger crap...but dammit, you gotta respect anybody that can find the aesthetic value in both of those logos. :lol: It's honestly a shame that there's such an inquisition into why the dude likes the logo. If he likes it, he likes it. In the words of The Lox, "WHO CARES?"

Because I like it. Why does it matter what my reasons are for liking or disliking it?

Well, if you like it, there should be some aspect or two about the logo that makes you like it or think it is a good logo. Unless you have a deliberately contrarian personality or something.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because I like it. Why does it matter what my reasons are for liking or disliking it?

Well, if you like it, there should be some aspect or two about the logo that makes you like it or think it is a good logo. Unless you have a deliberately contrarian personality or something.

And there is.

And there is.

Details please? I'm willing to hear you out.

Today, we are all otaku.

I think LMU summed it up best...

Clip-art football mixed with a Trekkie's representation of the Klingon alphabet

If that is what your want your football team to look like, then all the power to ya, Quillz!

6uXNWAo.png

• 6 months later...

If this logo were a Vacuum Cleaner, it would be a Hoover and it would suck. A lot. Oh, it does suck, like a kid with a straw in a glass of Kool*Aid.

What the H*ll were they thinking. I get the attempt at adding the football to the look, the font is horrible and it's hard to read. Their previous logo was good. Dumb, just plain dumb. (I hope someone from the GA Force reads this).

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Looks like they kept the old logo as an alternate logo & a helmet logo...but that monstrosity is still the primary. Weird. I guess we should be happy that they had sense enough to keep THAT logo away from the helmets.

Looks like they kept the old logo as an alternate logo & a helmet logo...but that monstrosity is still the primary. Weird. I guess we should be happy that they had sense enough to keep THAT logo away from the helmets.

I think they realized they F'd up but were to embarrassed change it to the old logo. The less we see of this logo the better.

niagaraq.png

The fact that some of you are willing to browbeat someone for liking a logo, of all things, is getting downright silly.

Rams80, I'm looking at you.

I think alot of the tension is built up because of the "I like it, I have reasons I like it, and i'll come on here and tell all of you "HEY, I LIKE IT", but then not give one good god-damned reason or detail as to why i like it" sentiments coming from Quillz.

In a place that was built to discuss the merits and details of sports logos, a little more insight would have been super-keen...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Someone may have posted this already, but what that heck is the Georgia Orce?

The "F" is totally secondary. It's not there unless you know to specifically look for it.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived