Indiana in blue?

Spearhead

Awhile back I came across this photo. There was no information on it except that it was of an Indiana Hoosier football player:

401493964_o.jpg?nc=231

Quite by chance, I later ran across these two photos which were in a collection of Big 10 color football photos but, again, unidentified:

401493939_o.jpg?nc=292

401493949_o.jpg?nc=369

So far, I haven't been able to find any Hoosier game pics with them wearing these blue uniforms.

FsQiF2W.png

No, I'm pretty sure that's Indiana; that looks an awful lot like the Archives' exhibit case in picture #2, and I definitely recall hearing that one IU coach in the 1950s experimented with blue. The stadium in picture #1 also looks a lot like Memorial Stadium. I'm not sure you're going to have much luck finding color game shots, though; they were pretty much all black and white until the 1980s.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

...that's odd. Definitely the old Indiana State powder blue...but that red is a darker red than ISU ever used (ours was always bright red). If you look closely at the team pic provided, you can make out an "S" on the helmet. ISU had, for years, the state of Indiana with an S wrapped around it as a helmet decal.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I think UniWatch actually explored this a while back. The light blue was supposed to represent the "cream" in "crimson and cream", as apparently the cream which rose to the top of a bottle of milk (in the pre-homogenization days) had a slight bluish tint.

Looks better than off-white would, that's for sure.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

With Nebraska coming next year, now would be a good time for Indiana to think about bringing these back. The Big Ten has way too much red as it is.

Why would a new rival consider changing some 50 years of history? Nebraska is the newbies.

More importantly, we like having our colors be red. That way it's possible for the team to do panoramic/aerial shots of the stadium on gameday and have it look like the stadium is full of Indiana supporters.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With Nebraska coming next year, now would be a good time for Indiana to think about bringing these back. The Big Ten has way too much red as it is.

Why would a new rival consider changing some 50 years of history? Nebraska is the newbies.

History? Most people probably couldn't tell you what Indiana's football uniforms looked like now... if they even remember that IU has football (which they probably only do because of their existence in a BCS conference).

Besides, experimenting with odd colors is probably the closest thing Hoosier football has to tradition.

History? Most people probably couldn't tell you what Indiana's football uniforms looked like now... if they even remember that IU has football (which they probably only do because of their existence in a BCS conference).

Besides, experimenting with odd colors is probably the closest thing Hoosier football has to tradition.

Whoever thought of these should be taken out back and shot:

indiana-antwan-randle-el.jpg

Seriously? They changed the traditional IU logo to the letters I and U side by side, in Times New Roman, in a red oval? You could design something with more character in MS Word.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Seriously? They changed the traditional IU logo to the letters I and U side by side, in Times New Roman, in a red oval? You could design something with more character in MS Word.

I think the coach who brought that look in had previously been an assistant with the 49ers, so that explains a lot about that look. Doesn't excuse it, just explains it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the coach who brought that look in had previously been an assistant with the 49ers, so that explains a lot about that look. Doesn't excuse it, just explains it.

That was actually Cam Cameron, who played at Indiana before he became head coach. He never coached for the 49ers but obviously he, uh, borrowed from the 49ers as Hayden Fry, uh, borrowed from the Steelers when he went to Iowa. (For that matter, George Perles, uh, borrowed from the Steelers by having an S on one side of the Michigan State helmets.)

Packers-2.png

That's a pretty typical look for D3 football teams in the Midwest... so what's the problem? :P

As far as the interlocking IU, this current era is the only time in their history that the football team used it in back to back years. For most of their history, the Hoosiers used a plain, bland, block-I on red shells.

Agreed. We fired the most successful coach in school history for that clown, and had no bowl bids to show for it. And then they downgraded further for DiNardo.

Today, we are all otaku.

Agreed. We fired the most successful coach in school history for that clown, and had no bowl bids to show for it. And then they downgraded further for DiNardo.

Well yeah but...Antwaan Randle El sure was fun to watch, wasn't he? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived